• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LarryDavid

Wings sign Conklin: 1-year, $750K

Rate this topic

:clap:

Terrific move. This brings in the experience that we could need if Ozzie gets injured.

Great move Holland.

Now bring in Bertuzzi/Naslund/ or Fedorov on a 1 year deal, re-sign Filppula and I'l be thrilled

My thought, as well.

RS, did you see where the Sabres picked up Lalime? :blink:

Kenny Holland obviously believes Ty has more experience and will be more dependable then Jimmy Howard if we Ozzie gets injured.

Hopefully that makes you feel better.

It makes feel better in a Cory Cross kinda way.

Which is to say, it doesn't.

I remember watching a game when he was in EDM (I think) - he played the entire game then got pulled for the SO. Classic.

You gotz to be kidding - Conky has all of five minutes giving up 1 goal on 3 shots. Ooohhhh, that makes me feel all warm.

Stay healthy OzGod. Please.

Holland is a great GM. You're an ignorant poster. The debate is closed. Good signing.

It makes feel better in a Cory Cross kinda way.

Which is to say, it doesn't.

I remember watching a game when he was in EDM (I think) - he played the entire game then got pulled for the SO. Classic.

That was then. He was solid in holding the fort down in Pittsburgh when Fleury was injured.

Osgood gave up a few long soft goals in the past as well. Nobody seems to be griping about that now...

I'm still rather surprised to find so many Wings fans bemoaning the fact that Holland appears to have signed Conklin without getting a better idea of what the Wings "have" in Jimmy Howard.

And yet NO ONE is willing to entertain the thought that Holland knows very well exactly what the Wings "have" in Howard, and that is precisely WHY he went out and signed Conklin?

If I was Howard, I'd ask for a trade. Any other organization would have given him a shot, but for some reason Holland and Babcock are afraid to give him one.

It's not as if this kid is 18 or something. Either make him the backup, or trade him for some value. I could care less what happens in GR if he's not going to eventually be moved up.

Conklin seems like a capable backup, but we didn't need this move.

Howard is a restricted free agent. If he doesn't like it, he can sign elsewhere.

Edited by Bannedforlife

I'm still rather surprised to find so many Wings fans bemoaning the fact that Holland appears to have signed Conklin without getting a better idea of what the Wings "have" in Jimmy Howard.

And yet NO ONE is willing to entertain the thought that Holland knows very well exactly what the Wings "have" in Howard, and that is precisely WHY he went out and signed Conklin?

Please take your logical thinking elsewhere. It has no place in this thread.

Please take your logical thinking elsewhere. It has no place in this thread.

I dunno.....it can't be just me, can it?

I mean, so many complain about the unfairness of it all, the insanity of holding your obvious, clear-cut, goalie-of-the-future back, against all logic, against all reason, outright refusing to so much as give him a LOOK, for no purpose whatsoever.....

Rather than stop to consider the idea that perhaps he's not yet made the Team because he's just NOT good enough. Maybe never will be?

It IS possible, after all. I'd say more than possible, considering the comments of Ken Holland and Mike Babcock over the past few Seasons.

Edited by Outsider

News article.

Looks like the competition between Howard and Conklin will be more about Conklin not sucking rather than Howard playing well.

As for the goalie situation, Holland said Tuesday Conklin has the edge for the backup job behind Chris Osgood.

If Conklin were sent to Grand Rapids, the Wings would have to expose him on waivers and another team would likely claim him.

That, coupled with the fact Conklin had an excellent season backing up Marc-Andre Fleury in Pittsburgh last season (18-8-5, 2.51 goals-against average, and a .920 save percentage that was second-best in the NHL behind Osgood) makes the chances of Howard sticking with the Wings unlikely.

"Jimmy will be given the opportunity to state his case in training camp. He'll play," Holland said. "The competition (to be Osgood's backup) is up for grabs, but Jimmy will have to win the job."

Howard has one minor league option remaining, which likely trumps any other reason.

Holland loves burning up every last minor league option he's got on a player.

News article.

Looks like the competition between Howard and Conklin will be more about Conklin not sucking rather than Howard playing well.

Holland loves burning up every last minor league option he's got on a player.

and why not?

Grand Rapids *should* have a good team this year..

although i said that last year as well and look what happened there

we need 4 goal tenders in the system, and i'd prefer a NHL backup to challenge Howard rather than an AHL backup like Berkhoel

Holland is a great GM.

No argument there but even the 'Great Ones' can make a mistake (if you can also refer to Burke as a 'Great One')post-4124-1215006456.jpg

You're an ignorant poster.

:crybaby:

The debate is closed.

Somehow here, no debate is ever closed. See you in October.

This signing makes soooo much more sense now that they signed Hossa.

What ever Detroit signs Howard to if it is a grand Rapids contract he does not count against the cap, same for Ericsson. So they bring in a cheap and sufficient (did it last year well) back up, sign Stuart and Hossa and you only have 3 guys to sign with your 4 mil not 5 players!!