• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LarryDavid

Wings sign Conklin: 1-year, $750K

Rate this topic

I know what you mean but let's be honest, Hasek was just fine working backup this post season, wasn't he?

He was fine with it because of the result. If he had to play all year as a backup he would retire. Oh wait, he did.

He was fine with it because of the result. If he had to play all year as a backup he would retire. Oh wait, he did.

Hasek knew the result and went out on top... It was more than likely his last season also... Just remember, Hasek came and played well when others on the team struggled a little...

In the end - the it is about everyone working together - that is what makes up a great team...

Hasek knew the result and went out on top... It was more than likely his last season also... Just remember, Hasek came and played well when others on the team struggled a little...

In the end - the it is about everyone working together - that is what makes up a great team...

If the Wings didn't end up winning the Cup, Hasek wouldn't have been so gracious in the backup role. I'm sure we would have heard quotes from him all summer long about it.

If the Wings didn't end up winning the Cup, Hasek wouldn't have been so gracious in the backup role. I'm sure we would have heard quotes from him all summer long about it.

I am not so certain about that...

Well I for one am really looking forward towards the 1st 20 games of next season to see Osgood and Conklin... Should keep each other on their toes...

Edited by Rivalred

See Hasek to disprove this

I would assume Maj was talking about Conklin-level of goaltenders, not elite tenders like Hasek.

Besides, correct me if I'm wrong but Dom was nothing short of great in the locker room after he was benched in Game 4 of the Nashville series.

Guest mindfly

Wow

Osgood - Starter

Conklin - Backup

Howard - Possible backup

McCollum - Grand Rapids

Larsson - Grand Rapids

Impressive goaltending, both now and for the future!

And you know this how, all I know about the guy is when he couldn't cut it he gave money back to the wings, when Ozzie took over Hasek was nothing short of supportive.

So can you please tell me where your hypothesis comes from, cause all I see is conjecture from someone who apparently doesn't like Hasek!

And you know this how, all I know about the guy is when he couldn't cut it he gave money back to the wings, when Ozzie took over Hasek was nothing short of supportive.

So can you please tell me where your hypothesis comes from, cause all I see is conjecture from someone who apparently doesn't like Hasek!

I've been following Hasek for a long time. Don't put on the rosy glasses just because he was a Wing. He was a great player and he knew it. He didn't like playing second fiddle to anyone at any point in his career.

i am quite alright with this. Give howard 1 more year of competition to get that backup role before he has it locked. You don't see too many goalies these days that enter the league before the age of 25 and play (more importantly play well) until they're 40. you just don't. Let him develope even more. it can't hurt.

I've been following Hasek for a long time. Don't put on the rosy glasses just because he was a Wing. He was a great player and he knew it. He didn't like playing second fiddle to anyone at any point in his career.

Really because when I watched the last post season he seemed ok to play behind Ozzie.

When Dom was in Buffalo he had a prima donna reputation, that is all I know of that side of him, but in Detroit the first time, when he couldn't hack it due to injuries he walked away and gave back some of his money, that I know as a fact the things you are "reporting" I do not know of as fact, and you saying what he would have done had the wings not won the cup is conjecture at best!

BTW what professional athlete especially elite ones is happy being second fiddle?

July 1, ESPN: Over the past three seasons, Ty Conklin has gone to the Stanley Cup finals twice as a back-up, with Edmonton in 2006 and this past season with Pittsburgh. Both times, his teams came up short.

Having signed a deal worth a reported $750,000, Conklin will now be looking to be on the right side of the Cup fence next spring. He was terrific in relief of Marc-Andre Fleury, posting a 18-8-5 record while Fleury was out with a high-ankle sprain midway through the season. His .923 save percentage in 33 games was second in the NHL.

Conklin will get a chance to play behind veteran netminder Chris Osgood, who split playing time the last few seasons with the recently retired (for good, one assumes) Dominik Hasek.

Unless the Penguins are content to let Dany Sabourin handle the back-up duties in Pittsburgh, Conklin's departure again puts the Pens in the hunt for a viable back-up for Fleury.

Oh good it's turning into a Dom thread. <_<

Seriously.

Even by LGW standards, I'm impressed. I wouldn't have thought that a thread about a 1 year signing of a backup goaltender could somehow turn into a debate about Hasek, especially AFTER he's retired.

Nice work folks. :thumbup:

Seriously.

Even by LGW standards, I'm impressed. I wouldn't have thought that a thread about a 1 year signing of a backup goaltender could somehow turn into a debate about Hasek, especially AFTER he's retired.

That would be in part my bad, I just get tired of people throwing around their opinions about how some one would have reacted had the past played out completely different than it did, like they know everything about the guy.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

It is now assured that the wings will make it to the SCF only to come up short. That is the way of the Ty Conklin

Seriously.

Amen, I was just thinking this as I was reading through some of the posts. Geeez people, he's gone, gone forever, let him and the rest of us live in peace!

Guest mindfly
It is now assured that the wings will make it to the SCF only to come up short. That is the way of the Ty Conklin

Erhm.. ozzy would play in a potential SCF?

If I was Howard, I'd ask for a trade. Any other organization would have given him a shot, but for some reason Holland and Babcock are afraid to give him one.

It's not as if this kid is 18 or something. Either make him the backup, or trade him for some value. I could care less what happens in GR if he's not going to eventually be moved up.

Conklin seems like a capable backup, but we didn't need this move.

If I was Howard, I'd ask for a trade. Any other organization would have given him a shot, but for some reason Holland and Babcock are afraid to give him one.

It's not as if this kid is 18 or something. Either make him the backup, or trade him for some value. I could care less what happens in GR if he's not going to eventually be moved up.

Conklin seems like a capable backup, but we didn't need this move.

You honestly think Howard is more sound that Conklin?

- If that was the case why would Holland even go out and sign a goalie... Holland stated he was looking for a tender - that alone should of conveyed a strong message...