• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LarryDavid

Wings sign Conklin: 1-year, $750K

Rate this topic

We're just bound and determined not to let any young guys into the lineup. Perhaps we're seeing the invisible hand of Scotty Bowman? Kind of ironic that the Wings are getting stroked for such good drafting but we refuse to play any of them.

While Howard hasn't been bad down in Grand Rapids I don't think his play has warranted just handing him the backup job.

Edited by johnnyoski

Conklin is pretty good, and isn't he fairly young? He did a great job with Pittsburgh and I read many complimentary articles about him over the past season. Good backup, cheap, I approve.

32 years old. He's a veteran.

Conklin is pretty good, and isn't he fairly young? He did a great job with Pittsburgh and I read many complimentary articles about him over the past season. Good backup, cheap, I approve.

Has played in the at the NHL level for about 5+ years now

32 years old. He's a veteran.

I am not sure what the exact term or saying is, but he was an older rookie from what I remember...

It's a one-way deal. No sensible goalkeep with his numbers would EVER agree to a two-way deal. He stays on our roster 100%, sending him down would necessitate him clearing the waiver wire, and there's no way he wouldn't get poached.

Is this a fact or your speculation. If it is a one way deal, then there is no chance for Howard to be up with the Wings this year.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Great signing i didn't even know Conklin was available tbh...

750k.. thats a friggin steal for Conklin.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR WHY!!!!

PUT HOWARD IN ALREADY DAMN IT!!

Who says hes not going to be put in? Its smart to have a cheap goalie in the team if god forbid your one proven NHL goalie goes down. Id love to see Howard get in a bunch of games as well but he has yet to prove himself in the NHL. I know he hasn't had the chance but he is still unproven. This is Ozzies team this year. What happens if Howard really doesnt adjust well to the NHL and Ozzie gets hurt the last week of the season? I for one will sleep better knowing the Wings have a guy in waiting that has proven himself to be decent in the NHL.

Also I haven't seen whether or not its a 2way contract. If so expect Howard to be up and Conklin to be in GR. It might be just me but based on what some management have said the last couple years they are not sold on Howard being the man. Thus 1st round draft pick this year and the safety signing of Conklin.

Once again, a low-cost veteran solution that doesn't disrupt the core or future of the team in any way. Signings like this are why this franchise is continually succesful.

Is this a fact or your speculation. If it is a one way deal, then there is no chance for Howard to be up with the Wings this year.

Speculation. Most any other team in the league would pay this guy to play full time. Two-way deals don't pay full value in the minors. He'd get well under league minimum if we sent him down on such a contract, so there's no reason for him to do it knowing that he'd be getting full money anywhere else. And we can have Jimmy on the roster. I believe current NHL roster limit basically allows for an extra undressed player at each position, so three total spots. If we carry two extra defensemen we can keep a third goaltender but no extra forwards. That's why waiver eligibility or lack thereof is so important. Injured players are excluded from the roster total if they're on 7-day IR. If all your depth forwards are on two-way deals or are waiver exempt, they can clear waivers and keep your team's roster from going over the limit as someone comes back from Injured Reserve.

Remember all, that Ty played in Edmonton during the Finals in 2006 and played well when Rollie went down, and almost pulled the series out down 3 games to 1. Edmonton had a decent defense as well as Pittsburgh did last year, just imagine what he will do with our GREAT D!!! This is a great deal!! Not at all suprised, in fact I pretty much expected someone like Conklin being signed!

Our defense and goaltending is going to be so solid next season. First re-signing Stuart, now signing a solid backup goalie like Conklin. Great day for Kenny Holland and the Wings overall.

We're just bound and determined not to let any young guys into the lineup. Perhaps we're seeing the invisible hand of Scotty Bowman? Kind of ironic that the Wings are getting stroked for such good drafting but we refuse to play any of them.

Bowman didnt just hand out ROSTER spots there kid .. Why not sign a insurance deal ? Howard wasnt spectacular in G.R and giving that he's not consistant in the AHL level how can u assume he will be for the 20 games hes plays? I'd hate to see the kid fall on his face and have Ozzie play more games then needed. I wouldnt let him rot in the AHL but there is a fine line of picking his time. who knows he might outplay Ty and get the spot ..

Bowman didnt just hand out ROSTER spots there kid .. Why not sign a insurance deal ? Howard wasnt spectacular in G.R and giving that he's not consistant in the AHL level how can u assume he will be for the 20 games hes plays? I'd hate to see the kid fall on his face and have Ozzie play more games then needed. I wouldnt let him rot in the AHL but there is a fine line of picking his time. who knows he might outplay Ty and get the spot ..