• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LarryDavid

Wings sign Conklin: 1-year, $750K

Rate this topic

If I was Howard, I'd ask for a trade. Any other organization would have given him a shot, but for some reason Holland and Babcock are afraid to give him one.

Let's say Kenny just handed him the backup spot. What would Kenny then do if Howard, for whatever reason(s), were to crash and burn?

This is an insurance signing. Anyone who's the least bit upset about this needs to chill, imo.

Conklin seems like a capable backup, but we didn't need this move.

I'd like to see Howard get a shot too, but Ozzie is getting up there in years and he's had a few injuries since he's been back in Detroit. It's not at the point of being a concern (he was healthy all year this year) but I have to believe Detroit didn't want to get into a situation where they're one pulled groin away from having a guy with 5 NHL decisions leading this Cup contender.

At some point they do need to find out what they've got in Howard, but this signing was fantastic. Good goalie, bargain price. I'd take Conklin over every goalie that has signed today apart from Huet. He's better than Kolzig, Theodore, Auld, and Raycroft and cheaper than all of them except Auld.

Edited by Packer487

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR WHY!!!!

PUT HOWARD IN ALREADY DAMN IT!!

Howards numbers in GR have kinda sucked...not major suckage but certianly not the kind of numbers that indicate a futre rockstar...I think this is a great move...good price and maybe motivate howard. and if howard washes out then ty can be a solid backup

brutus

Howards numbers in GR have kinda sucked...not major suckage but certianly not the kind of numbers that indicate a futre rockstar...I think this is a great move...good price and maybe motivate howard. and if howard washes out then ty can be a solid backup

brutus

Howard is not ready for the NHL. He needs to improve this summer and start out in GR. He's not quite there yet.

i can see howard as our backup in the 09-10 season, but i think he still might need a little work to be nhl-ready.

i feel really good about conklin backing up ozzie. kenny knows what he's doing.

Jesus what a deal! I guess watching the Wings win the cup did something, but getting a legit NHL backup who's capable of playing 30 games should Howard falter is a ridiculous steal when you look at just about EVERY other signing goalie or otherwise.

I would post some quotes from fans of opposing teams green with envy from HFBoards.com but there is just way too many to list.

P.S. For those of you who think this is a mistake because Jimmy Howard should be our backup, let's not forget that Babcock doesn't play favourites and will start the (backup) goalie who has EARNED to right to play in front of our Stanley Cup winning defense. If Howard can't beat Conklin for the #2 job in training camp and the pre-season, then he'd be better off spending another season in Grand Rapids anyways.

Edited by Cruiser008

If I was Howard, I'd ask for a trade. Any other organization would have given him a shot, but for some reason Holland and Babcock are afraid to give him one.

It's not as if this kid is 18 or something. Either make him the backup, or trade him for some value. I could care less what happens in GR if he's not going to eventually be moved up.

Conklin seems like a capable backup, but we didn't need this move.

The organization seems to have made it clear to Howard: You're progressing, but not ready to be handed anything yet.

I like the signing. I think now we are in good shape at goalie. Whether it's Howard or Conklin breaking camp with the Wings, we've got a good insurance policy for Ozzie.

Solid signing. Conklin was good for Pittsburg and will give Jimmy Howard a run for his money. I like Jimmy as much as the next Wings fan but if he isn't ready to step up and win the job then I definitely don't want it handed to him

OK. Ozzy will be the starter. But is Conklin insurance? Howard has played very few NHL games in his career and I have not seen a one of them. If he is the 'goalie of the future' then he should remain with the team the entire season, starting about every fourth game. So what is this Conklin business. Yes, they did get a really good deal on him and he performed really well in Pittsburgh when Fleury was hurt but will he want to play in GR? If Conklin is going to be the backup, then they might as well deal Howard now to get some value from him due to his age and then, I would assume, McCollum would assume the mantle of 'goalie of the future'? Has anyone seen McCollum play or know much about him? I only know what I have read from draft reports and he sounds pretty good. Maybe Ozzie/Conklin, McCollum in GR and then move McCollum up after Conklin's contract is up in a year?

I know, so many questions, so little insight but I want to know what everyone else thinks who may have better basis for opinions than I.

Thanks.

I won't lie. This is exactly what I wanted once I heard Holland was looking for a goalie to challenge Howard. Conklin is a bit of a reclamation project and I think that ultimately Howard will surpass him. In the meantime, I fully approve of an insurance signing that isn't in his late 30s.

I like the signing. This has turned out to be a good day for me as a RW fan.

As for Howie, he will get his chance.

I am impressed with how KH has not overspent, unlike other clubs, while still filling needs.

Seriously.

Even by LGW standards, I'm impressed. I wouldn't have thought that a thread about a 1 year signing of a backup goaltender could somehow turn into a debate about Hasek, especially AFTER he's retired.

Nice work folks. :thumbup:

I can't believe you're even surprised. I'm not. The thread doesn't even have to be about goaltending for some to get a shot or two in... <_<

I am glad we got Conklin... he's great insurance in case Ozzie has the wobbles or gets hurt this season. I, for one, was not real happy with the idea of Howard heading into the playoffs as the #1, should that sort of unhappy eventuality materialize.

Granted, with the D corps this team boasts, none of the goalies needs to be all that stellar to win it all. Kenny knows that.

OK. Ozzy will be the starter. But is Conklin insurance? Howard has played very few NHL games in his career and I have not seen a one of them. If he is the 'goalie of the future' then he should remain with the team the entire season, starting about every fourth game. So what is this Conklin business. Yes, they did get a really good deal on him and he performed really well in Pittsburgh when Fleury was hurt but will he want to play in GR? If Conklin is going to be the backup, then they might as well deal Howard now to get some value from him due to his age and then, I would assume, McCollum would assume the mantle of 'goalie of the future'? Has anyone seen McCollum play or know much about him? I only know what I have read from draft reports and he sounds pretty good. Maybe Ozzie/Conklin, McCollum in GR and then move McCollum up after Conklin's contract is up in a year?

I know, so many questions, so little insight but I want to know what everyone else thinks who may have better basis for opinions than I.

Thanks.

This is just one idiot's opinion, that idiot being me, but it creates some pretty healthy competition b/w Howard and Conklin for the backup job, hopefully no egos clashing. Also, Howard I think has one more year he can play in the minors without having to deal with waivers, so if that is the case I don't see much harm in him fine tuning his game even more one more time in the AHL. For a backup, Conklin has some experience to an extent with Pittsburgh and Edmonton. The signing was for pennies pretty much, debatable being a "steal" for backup status.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Erhm.. ozzy would play in a potential SCF?

NO s***.....

Ty was the backup for Edmenton and Pittsburgh.

Knowing the recent history of our club with netminders is anyone REALLY suprised we did this?!?!? (meaning this over just bringing up Howard)

If you are me thinks you haven't paid attention to how we do business.

That said this was a great pick up. Kudos!

This is just poo. There is no guarantee last year wasn't an aberration - it was like his first winning season ever. Time will tell I guess but he's still unproven in my book, tho I imagine he'll enjoy facing < 30 shots a game!

Sure were a boatload of backups out there all roughly w/n appox $200K. If he's the best backup out there then the NHL really sux. Really.

For some odd reason this reminds me of the Ken Wregget signing back in 99 as I doubt he will be here for more than one season and will see more than 15 games.

I do believe Kenny said something along the lines of carrying three goalies next year, or perhaps that was only if Hasek was to return. Could be mistaken though.

Very happy with this, good signing Kenny. Ty has more experience then Howard and when you have so much tied in other players, what if Ozzie gets injured.

It happens people, so be happy our backup will be Ty. Last thing I want in the playoffs is Howard in with so little experience.

And if you think experience doesn't matter, look at the Pens in the final.

Plus, I'm sure he'll play 20+ games during the season to help Ozzie with the Load.

Great sigining.

And if you think experience doesn't matter, look at the Pens in the final.

You gotz to be kidding - Conky has all of five minutes giving up 1 goal on 3 shots. Ooohhhh, that makes me feel all warm.

Stay healthy OzGod. Please.

You gotz to be kidding - Conky has all of five minutes giving up 1 goal on 3 shots. Ooohhhh, that makes me feel all warm.

Kenny Holland obviously believes Ty has more experience and will be more dependable then Jimmy Howard if we Ozzie gets injured.

Hopefully that makes you feel better.