• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

I guess my point about recruiting mostly has to do when you look at Nebraska. Ever since Osborne retired, the program has took a major downward spin. Why? Is it just coaching?? Is it recruiting? Is it everyone else in the Big 12 catching up with them?? If Michigan has a rough year next year and the following, why couldnt that scenario happen there??

Tennessee is another good scenario to consider. The Vols used to be a foregone conclusion that the SEC (at least the East section) would always come down to Florida and Tennessee. Now so many other teams have "caught up" to the Vols.

Those are good examples, but Tenn/Neb (especially NEB) took big recruiting hits, but I will say recruiting rankings really need to be taken with a grain of salt. For every 5 star who lives up to the hype (Reggie Bush, Vince Young, Ernie Sims, Rey Manaluga, etc) you can name more 5 star busts (Kevin Grady, Rhet Bomar, Anothy Morelli, Kellly Baraka, etc) On top of that there are 3 star studs that are are always under the rader (AJ Hawk, Braylon Edwards, Mike Hart, etc).

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

Those are good examples, but Tenn/Neb (especially NEB) took big recruiting hits, but I will say recruiting rankings really need to be taken with a grain of salt. For every 5 star who lives up to the hype (Reggie Bush, Vince Young, Ernie Sims, Rey Manaluga, etc) you can name more 5 star busts (Kevin Grady, Rhet Bomar, Anothy Morelli, Kellly Baraka, etc) On top of that there are 3 star studs that are are always under the rader (AJ Hawk, Braylon Edwards, Mike Hart, etc).

Oh I agree. Losing to Toledo does more to Michigan's reputation than the fact that Michigan lost everyone from the previous year, turnovering the ball like crazy, no offense/defense, and is under new coach. Michigan is bad this year. No doubt about it. But you gotta beat a 1-4 Toledo team from the MAC.

The one thing that Michigan fans my want to look at is Alabama. Bama lost to UL-Monroe last year. Now look at where they are at.

Remember the 7-5 season three years ago, an 11-0 start put all of that to rest.

Michigan also had the benefit of an easy schedule that year in 2006. They only beat 3 opponents with 10 wins or more (CMU, ND, & Wisconsin). Only 1 of those opponents were on the road. One was a MAC team. They only played 3 bowl teams from the Big Ten. (OSU, PSU and Wisconsin).

Now I am not saying Michigan should be penalized for that. Sometimes it just happens that way. Michigan scheduled Toledo when they were tops in the MAC and now the Rockets are terrible. Michigan played a bad Vanderbilt and Ball State team in 2006....and now look at those teams. Sometimes you get a few lucky breaks with the schedule.

I am just saying, I don't think Michigan will be 11-0 at any point next year. Michigan is playing more bowl eligable teams this year as well as they are likely gonna do the same next year when they play this conference schedule.

Sept. 26 INDIANA* (HC)

Oct. 3 at Michigan State*

Oct. 10 at Iowa*

Oct. 24 PENN STATE*

Oct. 31 at Illinois*

Nov. 7 PURDUE*

Nov. 14 at Wisconsin*

Nov. 21 OHIO STATE*

I am willing to say that there is at least 5 bowl teams right there.

The Big Ten has come a long way since just being Ohio State-Michigan game and winner takes Big Ten title. More teams have a shot now then there has been in a while. Hell the Big Ten title might come down to Nov. 22nd, but it may not be the Michigan-Ohio State game. Michigan State & Penn State play that day too.

Edited by timothy1997

The one thing that Michigan fans my want to look at is Alabama. Bama lost to UL-Monroe last year. Now look at where they are at.

I like to look it at it that way too, but I will be honest there is a major flaw in the U-M/Bama comparison: Bama has a senior QB, while Michigan will have a true freshmen next year. HUGE difference, but I think is a good comparison between two past successful coaches starting out fresh again.

Any predictions from MSU fans on the game this weekend?

I am not willing to make any predictions on this huge game. I will say I am confident in this team and a win will go a long way in restoring this football program. I am ok with a loss as well because everyone in the Big Ten has been beaten by Ohio State. Michigan State has a good chance to win the Big Ten title with a win against the Buckeyes.

I'd like to say before the game starts that I'm no longer sure we're gonna lose. I just think we're gonna lose.

However, I think Hoyer sucks....I think our defense is good enough to hold Ringer to 100 yards or less. I think our offense can not suck enough to get 20 points or so. It'll be close. I miss Dantonio.

Well, that was fun. Where the hell has that been this year?

glad you enjoyed it. I was wondering what the hell happened to MSU. They got schooled today. The teacher still owns the pupil. Hope this team doesnt slide next week against the Wolverines.

Well I guess we all feel the same right now no unless your hockeytownredwings. I'm not even going to spill my frustrations.

I dunno, I'm pretty happy. I had to pick which game I was gonna watch and I chose the one more likely to end up a win - and I ended up right. UVA had a streak to defend today and did so in very dramatic fashion. The bowl streak is done, so there's only two games I'm gonna stress over any more in Michigan's season.

I dunno, I'm pretty happy. I had to pick which game I was gonna watch and I chose the one more likely to end up a win - and I ended up right. UVA had a streak to defend today and did so in very dramatic fashion. The bowl streak is done, so there's only two games I'm gonna stress over any more in Michigan's season.

How did Virginia go from being one of the worst teams in Division 1 football to respectable in just a few weeks?

How did Virginia go from being one of the worst teams in Division 1 football to respectable in just a few weeks?

1. Offensive line figured out what run-blocking is, and Big Canada, Austin Pasztor replaced ineffective Zak Stair. 2. Marc Verica is a better quarterback than Peter Lalich - extremely accurate thrower. Watch for him in the coming years as he is only a sophomore. 3. Cedric Peerman is healthy again. 4. Homestand - we are notoriously s***ty on the road and much better than average at home; always have been.

I'm sure most read about the dumbass U-M football player who beat up U-M's key hockey player in Steve Kampfer. Now I just read AJ Sturges, a MSU hockey player is in the hospital for what appears to be being beat up by MSU football players. Why the hate on the hockey players?! What are the chances both schools have almost identical crime cases in one week? I wish both well with a speedy recovery. Too bad this stuff happens.......

To be honest, as a Spartan, this weekend kinda scares me. I can easily see MSU getting swept in hockey and loosing to UM in football. Michigan always playes their best against State while State shoots themseves in their foot. I also can't imagine that it is very easy to concentrate on a game when 8 members of your team are under invesigation by the police and at least one and maybe more are probably looking at felony charges.

Sounds like we may hear who has been charged as soon as Friday.