• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

The problem with MSU fans and football is that they care more about Michigan football losing than State football winning. That's why I put MSU football fans among the worst. (No, not Mississippi, Montana, or Missouri, either.) I mean, did anyone see the thread on the RCMB when Bo Schembechler died? I can only describe it as glee. State fans don't care what or when or how Michigan loses, they only care that it happens.

And you guys don't cheer when Ohio State loses??? Come on.

Being a team sports fan means you cheer for 2 teams...your team and whomever your biggest rival is playing.

This happens on all levels, no matter what team you have.

Being a team sports fan means you cheer for 2 teams...your team and whomever your biggest rival is playing.

I don't really agree with that. I agree with BRTD 100%. Sure I would have loved to see OSU lose to Ohio, and didn't mind seeing OSU get spanked by the Men of Troy, but on the other hand OSU embarrassed the Big Ten yet again. On saturdays all I care about is U-M winning, and could care less what else happens to ND, MSU, and OSU win or lose.

I don't really agree with that. I agree with BRTD 100%. Sure I would have loved to see OSU lose to Ohio, and didn't mind seeing OSU get spanked by the Men of Troy, but on the other hand OSU embarrassed the Big Ten yet again. On saturdays all I care about is U-M winning, and could care less what else happens to ND, MSU, and OSU win or lose.

Ohio State is still the top team in the Big Ten. I wouldnt worry so much about them embarrassing the Big Ten, rather just focus on your team. Michigan is embarrassing the Big Ten more.

Besides, lots of good teams get crushed by the Trojans. Thats why they are #1.

Ohio State is still the top team in the Big Ten. I wouldnt worry so much about them embarrassing the Big Ten, rather just focus on your team. Michigan is embarrassing the Big Ten more.

Besides, lots of good teams get crushed by the Trojans. Thats why they are #1.

Wow can you read? I said ONE post above that when Saturday comes all I care about is U-M winning, and could care less about Moo U, OSU, and ND. I'm not worried about OSU embarrassing the Big Ten at all, I was just using that as example why it's bad OSU loses.

Michigan is is embarrassing the Big Ten more?!!?! Please enlighten me more. There is no way! Why, because of App State? I GUARANTEE you if you put a poll on ESPN.com about who is embarrassing the Big Ten OSU wins by a land slide. Don't get me wrong OSU is the team everyone wants to be right now in the Big Ten, but the biggest reason everyone rips the Big Ten non stop in the media is because OSU got killed by FLA, LSU, and USC.

There's a difference between wanting to see your rivals lose, and caring about that more than wanting your own team to win. Spartans fans love to say they're rooting for "whoever is playing Michigan." When's the last time you heard a Michigan fan say that about a rival? Spartan fans call it a great day to be a Spartans fan when Michigan loses, especially when the loss is particularly embarrassing. When's the last time you heard a Michigan fan do that? Spartans fans took actual joy in the passing of Bo Schembechler. I guarantee you won't see that when Tom Izzo passes on. Michigan fans have GO BLUE on their bumper stickers and you almost never see a sign, bumper sticker, or what-have-you that denigrates the rivals. It's more common to see a GO BLOW bumper sticker on an MSU fan's car than GO GREEN.

Wrong. That's a very Michigan State outlook. That's what being a Spartans fan means. Michigan fans tend to prefer that their rivals have good seasons to make it all that much sweeter when we beat them.

Do I get a little schadenfreude when OSU gets curb-stomped like that? Sure. But if it comes down to the end of the season and OSU is 3-8, what fun would that be?

There's a difference between wanting to see your rivals lose, and caring about that more than wanting your own team to win. Spartans fans love to say they're rooting for "whoever is playing Michigan." When's the last time you heard a Michigan fan say that about a rival? Spartan fans call it a great day to be a Spartans fan when Michigan loses, especially when the loss is particularly embarrassing. When's the last time you heard a Michigan fan do that? Spartans fans took actual joy in the passing of Bo Schembechler. I guarantee you won't see that when Tom Izzo passes on. Michigan fans have GO BLUE on their bumper stickers and you almost never see a sign, bumper sticker, or what-have-you that denigrates the rivals. It's more common to see a GO BLOW bumper sticker on an MSU fan's car than GO GREEN.

Looking out the window at my car, I have a State sticker and alumni license plate frame. My "Have you kicked a wolverine today?" sticker is in my office ;)

And of course the um fans won't say anything bad about Izzo. Everyone knows um fans don't care about basketball. Unless the program is dirty. Then they love it.

Looking out the window at my car, I have a State sticker and alumni license plate frame. My "Have you kicked a wolverine today?" sticker is in my office ;)

where can i get one of those? lol

I got this picture on my desktop. I love it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz1.jpg

I'm sorry, but all the stuff MSU is doing by tying 300 the movie with their school is one of the worst PR/Advertising stunts ever.

The background wasn't done by MSU, it was done by a student. As far as I know, all they're doing this year is the "What is your profession" chant. And actually, I'm not even sure they're doing that.

The background wasn't done by MSU, it was done by a student. As far as I know, all they're doing this year is the "What is your profession" chant. And actually, I'm not even sure they're doing that.

What about the 300 video clips during home games? Or was that just last year?

Just Wondering... does anyone who pays more attention to Georgia then me think that ASU has a chance against the bulldogs? I know that ASU lost against UNLV last week, but just wondering if they can match up at all. I'm getting a bad feeling that its going to be an absolute rout by Georgia, and then even worse when ASU travels to USC.

Don't know about this year. Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it back to EL for a game.

I might go there for the heck of it later this year with my MSU friends. I've never been to a MSU football game. I heard the stadium is nice, and I've always wanted to check it out.

What about the 300 video clips during home games? Or was that just last year?

I have season tickets and the only thing I can really remember from this years games is the "This is Sparta" line during the video before the game and a few of the "What is your profession" things on a third down. MSU has not used the 300 stuff nearly as much as last year.

The wallpaper with the Spartan solders outside the stadium was a fan made one by a poster at spartantailgate.com last year. The University and Athletics Departmaent had nothing to do with it being made.

On a side not I can't wait till Saturday against Notre Dame.

Probably won't care too much about this since it is outside Big Ten news and most people will probably think the Pac-10 stinks outside of USC, but I got to recognize the conference my school is in for their efforts. Mountain West was 4-0 vs. the Pac-10 in non-conference games last weekend.

Stanford 14 @ TCU 31

UCLA 0 @ BYU 59

UNLV 23 @ Arizona St. 20

Arizona 28 @ New Mexico 36

TCU was favored to win so that outcome wasn't too surprising, no knock against Stanford. Still a solid win against a Pac-10 team that should be on the rise.

Not too surprised about New Mexico either. They started out 0-2 which included a pretty bad loss to TCU but they have enough talent to make a run at a bowl game again this year if they don't slip up much more.

The shocking outcomes were UNLV and BYU. UNLV because it was an upset on the road against a top-25 team, UNLV hasn't done squat in football in years, huge underdogs etc.

BYU because of the scoring margin, they are definitely a legit and consistent top-25 resident this year and UCLA may not be up to snuff like they used to be, but 59-0?

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Probably won't care too much about this since it is outside Big Ten news and most people will probably think the Pac-10 stinks outside of USC, but I got to recognize the conference my school is in for their efforts. Mountain West was 4-0 vs. the Pac-10 in non-conference games last weekend.

Stanford 14 @ TCU 31

UCLA 0 @ BYU 59

UNLV 23 @ Arizona St. 20

Arizona 28 @ New Mexico 36

TCU was favored to win so that outcome wasn't too surprising, no knock against Stanford. Still a solid win against a Pac-10 team that should be on the rise.

Not too surprised about New Mexico either. They started out 0-2 which included a pretty bad loss to TCU but they have enough talent to make a run at a bowl game again this year if they don't slip up much more.

The shocking outcomes were UNLV and BYU. UNLV because it was an upset on the road against a top-25 team, UNLV hasn't done squat in football in years, huge underdogs etc.

BYU because of the scoring margin, they are definitely a legit and consistent top-25 resident this year and UCLA may not be up to snuff like they used to be, but 59-0?

I have a few friends that attend UCLA, and I have been hearing their recruiting is suffering big time. They are not having any luck trying to attract some good solid talent. It will eventually turn around, and they will redeem themselves. But their mens basketball is what really this school is about now. They have no problem attracting talent there. But yeah you pretty much nailed it. The Pac 10 isn't to hot this year. Cal and Oregon have dropped off dramatically, and the one time University of Washington is no longer a threat. It's all SC which is fine by me.

This is the 2008 video that I have seen. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

That is a good video. I love when schools use that intense type of music. I like the U-M commercial on BTN about current players acting like former players (Long, Edwards, Woodson, etc). Can't find it on youtube, but you probably have seen it.

That is a good video. I love when schools use that intense type of music. I like the U-M commercial on BTN about current players acting like former players (Long, Edwards, Woodson, etc). Can't find it on youtube, but you probably have seen it.

Hopefully they don't have any of their current players acting like Larry Harrison ;)

I'm pretty excited for the ND game this weekend. Its going to be interesting. The Spartans have basically played 3 games without running the ball. ND is obviously improved, although its tough to judge a team when they struggle against San Diego State and beat up on Michigan.