• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
red_wing

The Lang deal

Rate this topic

I never realized this until today, but check out this quote from NHL.com

There was a reminder for teams on the outside looking in at the playoffs when the trading deadline comes around that all is not lost.

In February 2004, the Washington Capitals traded veteran center Robert Lang to Detroit for prospect Tomas Fleischmann and two draft choices. The Red Wings won three playoff series in the three postseasons Lang played in Detroit. Meanwhile, Fleischmann has a career-high 15 goals this season. And the first-round pick Washington got from Detroit became All-Star defenseman Mike Green, who leads the League's blueliners with 15 goals and 40 points, despite missing 13 games earlier in the season with an injury.

Crazy, eh? I didn't realize that our first rounder gave them Green.

Edited by red_wing

The Wings should consider fielding a second team so they have room for all these guys. As it is they're stocked up on talent. Anybody else want a couple Greens or Fleischmanns? It's a Wings prospect blow-out, we're practically giving them away! Literally, in Quincey case.

Anyways, I wouldn't trade any number of 4th forwards and middling 2nd-3rd liners for this:

340x.jpg

even with them getting green, we are loaded with prospects on the blue so if we had taken green which there is no guarantee we would have he would prob be in GR still or a 5th/6th guy who we would not be able to afford after this season anyways....plus how many cups have washington won with green on their roster....? Lang was a huge floater out there but he was clutch offensively when we needed him, sure we didn't win a cup with lang but there were also 27 other teams that didn't win the cup in those 3 years as well

Green is too terrible defensively to fly in Detroit. He's suited to the run-and-gun era where d-men were just forwards that didn't line up at centre ice, not to an era where d-men are expected to take care of their own zone instead of pinching in every chance, regardless of whether there's someone to cover him.

The Wings should consider fielding a second team so they have room for all these guys. As it is they're stocked up on talent. Anybody else want a couple Greens or Fleischmanns? It's a Wings prospect blow-out, we're practically giving them away! Literally, in Quincey case.

Anyways, I wouldn't trade any number of 4th forwards and middling 2nd-3rd liners for this:

340x.jpg

lmao.good one, my friend

Whos to say we would've selected Green with that pick?

Maybe we would have taken Johan Fransson. He went to Dallas for the 34th overall pick. I think they pick they wrong Johan.

Or Alexander Elder (3rd round), and Mark Streit (9th round)

Edited by Blueliner

Yah definetly lost out on that trade i looked into that long ago definetly was not worth it

just like gettting bertuzzi DUMMBBB s***

:rolleyes: Nope. The Bertuzzi trade was brilliant on Holland's part. He picked up a potential impact player at the cost of a marginal prospect. Said prospect later impressed in his first NHL call up (2 goals in his second game) but it should be noted that he hasn't cracked the roster since. Regardless, Holland didn't have a crystal ball. Based on the evidence at that time it was a brilliant trade.

Lang was leading the league in scoring for a large portion of the season we got him and then I recall he was injured. He never quite raised to the same heights as a wing, but it was a reasonable gamble at the time.

Bertuzzi was an even bigger gamble that failed.

Lang was leading the league in scoring for a large portion of the season we got him and then I recall he was injured. He never quite raised to the same heights as a wing, but it was a reasonable gamble at the time.

Bertuzzi was an even bigger gamble that failed.

And the Bertuzzi trade was still worth a shot I think, despite his "incident" or or any baggage from it or whatever.

It's easy to say these trades didn't work out well after they happened, but at the time, I was pretty happy to get both Lang and Bertuzzi when the trades happened.

Sometimes s**t doesn't quite work out your way completely regarding these things.

I wouldnt say we lost on the trade whatsoever. I mean claiming that the Wings "could have" drafted Mike Green and then factoring that into deciding whether it was a bad move is borderline retarted. The number of examples you could of times where teams traded away a spot which turned out to be used as a pic for a star is endless, and is worse then nitpiking through the past at draft picks we passed up in favor for some other kid who turned out to be a bust.

As for Fleishmann, he is having a good season on a team that is chalk full of talent. That said I still would have traded Lang for him knowing the end result (I am not even taking the Green "could have" situation into acount on the basis it stretches "would of, could of, should of" too far for me).

I guess though to really asses the "winner" and "loser" in this trade we will have to wait a couple years for Fleischmann to develop so who knows.

Tomas Fleischmann:

2005-06 WAS 14 0 2 2 -7

2006-07 WAS 29 4 4 8 -6

2007-08 WAS 75 10 20 30 -7

2008-09 WAS 45 15 11 26 -4

Robert Lang:

2003-04 WAS 63 29 45 74 +2

2003-04 DET 6 1 4 5 +2

2005-06 DET 72 20 42 62 +17

Anyone who says Green couldnt cut it in the Western Conference, hasnt watched much of his career. The kid is tough, he wont drop the gloves everygame, but he`s tough.

He isnt half as bad defensively as people make him out to be, he is however very turnover prone and that is the biggest strike against him. He`s young, he`ll make mistakes, but man I would kill to have him in Detroit. Thing is, we likely wouldnt have drafted Green with the pick any ways. Haha, Fliechsman, watch how he plays in the playoffs before you evalute that guy, Fillpula is better then him. We didnt lose diddly squat in Tomas Flieshman.

Besides, deep down inside, everyone loved Lang. Plus, he was great for us in the playoffs. Sure, he couldnt control his love for cheeseburgers, but I dont blame him for that.

Whos to say we would've selected Green with that pick?

Exactly. I hate 'they traded pick 45 which team X used to select player Y'. It's all hypothetical.

What I am disappointed at is losing Flesichmann, always have been, always will. Very good player.

sigh......good old Lang.

i dont think we necessarily "lost" the trade for Lang at all. Albeit he didnt have the best numbers in his last year here. but to be fair he was playing a pretty monster game with the habs before his unfortunate injury.