• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BewareThePenguin

This time it will be different

Rate this topic

Oh Boy, so now does this mean we have to take that piece of crap Satan on our team next year after we beat them again? I sure hope not.

Okay, for starters, the Church Lady reference = priceless.

Second, I believe that when we hoist the Cup again, we get to choose who we take from Pittsburgh, just like last year. I vote for Staal. With 29 Staal brothers playing in the NHL, at least one of them should be on a winning team.

~ Z

Edited by WingsCaptain

Guest Four

The Ducks were and will continue to be our hardest playoff challenge.

Good luck Penguins :rolleyes:

Malkin and Crosby have to have a better series, as they were largely invisible last year.

I'm not sure that's really fair to Crosby. Malkin was invisible for sure, but Crosby had the greatest defenseman since Orr hanging off his ass all game. Oh and he had a Selke winner or two hanging off him if Lidstrom wasn't out there. Crosby's never had to deal with such stifling defense as he did with Detroit- I can't really blame him for not producing as much. After that experience I'm sure it will be tougher than last year to shut Crosby down- it's not like he hasn't been reviewing the tapes and practicing for this all summer.

Health: Detroit's got more depth to deal with injuries than just about any other team.

True, but you can't replace a healthy Lidstrom or a healthy Datsyuk with depth. Guys like Draper are easier to replace when you have strong defensive centres like Helm in the system. There really isn't a person on earth that can play the game like Lidstrom when he's healthy... the shear defensive domination combined with offensive savvy and an amazing control over the pace of the game is impossible to replace. Lidstrom's as close as you can get to having a quarterback out there controlling the team. It seems weird if you don't watch him, but just observe how different the team plays around him when he's there. Watching Detroit play last season when Lidstrom was injured for an extended period was just bizarre. Same thing when he was injured for a time this season.

Oh, believe me I haven't forgotten him. (See my other thread from yesterday.)

The Hossa factor could also work for the Pens, as they'll be motivated by the supreme joy of getting to wave the Cup in his traitor face should they win. Just another fine storyline for the series.

I'm not so sure Hossa will be as big a factor for Pits as the media thinks he will.

Every single Penguin is a professional athlete-- they're going to be more understanding and respectful of Hossa's choice than fans are. Many of them have probably been in Hossa's shoes. Plus, the Pens as a team wouldn't look like it does now if Hossa was taking up all that cap space, so the guys on the Pens must know that having Hossa there wouldn't have made it just the team it is now plus Hossa.

I'm sure the vast, vast, vast majority of their motivation has to do with a shiny silver cup.

WOW I always hated ESPN and then I read this and think, WOW they are dumber then a box of rocks.

• Even without the Wings' injuries, this series looked to be tilting in favor of the Pittsburgh Penguins given the exceptional play of Crosby and Malkin. But with the Wings banged up and missing key ingredients (or having key ingredients not at their best), the Penguins are suddenly the clear-cut favorites to win their first Cup since 1992. Penguins in six.

Scott Burnside covers the NHL for ESPN.com.

WOW I always hated ESPN and then I read this and think, WOW they are dumber then a box of rocks.

• Even without the Wings' injuries, this series looked to be tilting in favor of the Pittsburgh Penguins given the exceptional play of Crosby and Malkin. But with the Wings banged up and missing key ingredients (or having key ingredients not at their best), the Penguins are suddenly the clear-cut favorites to win their first Cup since 1992. Penguins in six.

Scott Burnside covers the NHL for ESPN.com.

I don't know why, but Scott Burnside becomes a colossal moron every time he talks about the Pens. Happened last year too.

Edited by Dabura

I'm not so sure Hossa will be as big a factor for Pits as the media thinks he will.

Did you see hossa's reaction after that goal? He might not be the biggest factor but i'd defintely expect for him to be playing harder then any other red wing player.

As any of you who remember know, last year before the series I appeared on this board to discuss the upcoming series. Unlike some cocky Pens' fans, I expressed doubt that the young Pens could overcome both a) the lack of knowing what to expect with a championship series, and b) the Red Wings' mix of experience and big-game, big-situation savvy. You have no idea what abuse I took from some Pens' fans over this, but I was proved right, as it took til game 3 for the Pens to even begin competing with Detroit.

Last year I had my doubts the Pens could win a 7-game series with Detroit -- this year, I have no doubt the Pittsburgh Penguins can win. Notice I said CAN -- not will. I (unlike some overconfident types who've shown up here lately) know what they're up against with this loaded Wings' squad. Age or no age, banged-up or not, Detroit is the best team in hockey until somebody knocks them off. That won't be any easier to do this year.

A lot's been made of the "experience" thing, as in the Pens have now been there and logically are ready to take the next step. Yeah maybe, but that's not the main factor as to why Pittsburgh has a shot. Something that's not been discussed much by the "experts", but to me is the key, is this: Coach Bylsma's system, which is much better suited to the talents of Crosby, Malkin and the rest of the squad. The trap scheme used by Coach's successor was an awful fit for the Pens -- and since Bylsma took over the team in late February, the Pens not surprisingly are a totally superior team. Suddenly the Pens went from being mentioned to almost not making the playoffs, to playing the best hockey in the conference. If Bylsma had coached the whole year, I have little doubt the Pens are the #1 or #2 seed.

So it will be a different series than last year. It's up to the Pens, though, to show they belong on the mountaintop -- we all know Detroit does. If the Wings come out and just plain outskate the Pens as they did last year, it'll be another short series. With guys like Datsyuk and Franzen, talent like the Pens have yet to face, that's still possible.

But somehow I don't think it'll work out that way.

One more thing: Osgood. Why this guy doesn't get more credit outside of Detroit is beyond me. The guy's awesome, yet they rarely mention his name among the top goalies. That's just wrong. I have no doubt he'll be a major pain to score on this series.

I wouldn't have the Pens face any other team but yours in the finals. Facing anybody else just wouldn't be the same. Here's to a having a series for the ages to watch...

P.S. Doobie doobie doo...

Why can't more Pens fans be like this? Good post! I also look forward to a great series!

Why can't more Pens fans be like this? Good post! I also look forward to a great series!

There are many Pens fans like him.

It's just that not all of them have the guts to go on another team's board and express their rational opinion while being aware of the highly likelihood they'll get bombarded with both the best of Wings fans and the worst of Wings fans; no matter what they say. And so the greater majority stay on their own turf while we're here left with the trolls that distort our perception of the minority of Pens fans who actually contribute to the discussion. It's just how it goes on all the boards.

This time it will be different

As mentioned in another discussion, Pittsburgh had a better team last year. They aren't as deep without Hossa and Malone. With Crosby and Malkin combining for 56 pts, I'm surprised it's not a concern in the media when analyzing the Pens. Thinking that Crosby and Malkin can beat the defending Champions on their own is insane!

Detroit with Hossa and the way Helm is playing, is better than last year, even with Datsyuk at 50%-75%.

Oh, believe me I haven't forgotten him. (See my other thread from yesterday.)

The Hossa factor could also work for the Pens, as they'll be motivated by the supreme joy of getting to wave the Cup in his traitor face should they win. Just another fine storyline for the series.

However, the converse is also true. Hossa and the Wings will be fighting hard to make sure that they prove he made the right decision. While winning the Cup provides more than enough motivation and glory to put it all on the line to win, the same pride that will have the Pens wanting to prove Hossa wrong will have the Wings wanting to prove him right. None of them want to have to constantly read and hear about how he made the wrong decision because he shouldn't have gone to the Wings. That will add fuel for the team in general and especially for Hossa.

I wouldn't have the Pens face any other team but yours in the finals. Facing anybody else just wouldn't be the same. Here's to a having a series for the ages to watch...

P.S. Doobie doobie doo...

I honestly believe the Pens would slaughter, pretty much any other team.

still think this time is different?

I do.

The Pens are playing better hockey and matching up better than last year. We didn't get any lucky bounces in game 1 or 2 and we gave a few oddball soft goals (and a few spectacular ones too). By this time last year everyone in Pittsburgh knew we were just holding on. The results are the same, down 2-0 to date, but the games have been much closer and more befitting a Championship series.

When this things hits Pittsburgh's ice on Tuesday, we all should have an idea of what this series might be. I for one hope it goes 7 games and is a barn burner.

There will be no bumper pool off the boards goals in Pittsburgh, game 3 and 4 will be a real meter of whether on not the Pens can compete yet with the Wings. I don't like how the first two games turned out, but I am happy with the Pen's effort.

I still think it comes down to driving on the net and camping there. The Pens have been notorious for not getting a body in front of the net (which is why we miss Malone).

We'll see.

isnt this the same guy who just made a post (which i think was deleted) about how he has no respect for zetterberg blah blah.

How many fans of other teams have we seen come on this board and introduce themselves with a peace flag flying and chirping about how much they respect the redwings.... but then, sure enough, as it ALWAYS happens.... they start creating delusional threads simply to vent their frustration based on ignorant viewpoints due to their team being too inadequate to beat the wings.

If this poster is NOT that same guy who made the other thread, than my apologies, but if it is.... sigh.