• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheGoonSquad0208

Hossa to be re-signed after postseason

Rate this topic

If anything, this playoff performance by Hossa is a good thing. It should make it a lot harder for him to ask for a lot more money than what Franzen is going to be making.

With Mule having a 4 mil cap hit, I can't imagine Hossa getting offered more than 4.5-5.0 mil tops. Also take into consideration that he is 30. I doubt he's going to get a lot better in the years to come. He might even be starting to lose one of his greatest strenghts, his speed.

I'd be willing to let go off Hudler, Sammy, Lebda, Conklin and maybe some of the veterans like Draper and Maltby (if that helps with the cap?) to keep Hossa.

If they sign Hossa long-term for 6-7 mil, I'll puke. Not that he isn't good, but he shouldn't be making more than Z or Datsyuk.

id like to resign him too but not by sacrificing too much depth ive always like Hoss when i heard he was available at the deadline last year i was hoping we trade for him but if he leaves i guess he will go back to being one of my favorite non wings player

We don't need Hossa, and at any of the ideas being tossed about here to keep him, it ruins our depth and/or our defense.

Amen. I'm full willing to drop Hossa and keep depth here and in GR. Keeping Hossa sets you up for one good year, then pain as guys age. Dropping Hossa means you may not be as good next year (but with Abdelkader, Helm and Leino, who knows?), but you'll be better in the long haul. The first makes you the Tampa Bay Lightning. The second makes you the Detroit Red Wings.

After this playoff performance, why would the Wings even keep him? In all seriousness, he hasn't played very well at all in any series. It's not like he's getting shut down by the other teams best players anyways. He's simply not playing well. When he makes a fancy move, he over-plays the puck and gets out of a scoring position. When he shoots the puck it goes wide or is from an impossible distance. He's not Ovechkin after all, yet he's making Ovechkin money.

Flipulla and Cleary have played extremely well, yet a lot of you would freely just trade one of them to keep Hossa. Sure, who wouldn't sign Hossa over either one straight up. But the point is signing Hossa for anything more then what Franzen is making, is a horrible long term decision.

If the Wings win the cup, Hossa will have been nothing more then a 7.45 million dollar passenger. The reason Hossa is here is to score goals and make up for the fact people like Datysuk and Zetterberg are put in checking roles. Last time I checked, Zetterberg is out-scoring Hossa, and shutting down Crosby. What's Hossa doing? Chucking. He's like an over-paid Sammy.

Keep Hudler, Flipulla, Leino and let Hossa walk. Give his salary to people who perform in key situations. These are the facts. Hossa is playing extremely badly for someone making 7.45 million a season. And for all you people who say, "Well, Detroit is deep enough, Hossa doesn't to score." True that. Then why do we need Hossa at all?

Hossa's job is to score goals. That's what he does, that's what he's paid the highest on this team to do. And it's pretty sad people like Cleary and Sammy are blowing him out of the water with timely offense.

I laugh at all you kids who wanted to let Franzen walk and re-sign Hossa a few months ago.

You should be a Penguins fan where it's ok to only care about how many points your players score. Fact is DEFENSE is also a part of the game. Whether he's scoring or not, Hossa has been AWESOME this series and the last three games of the Anaheim series. It blows my mind when people say things like this. Take away Zetterberg's empty netters in this year's playoffs and he hasn't scored much either. Yet, he's been the team's MVP, imo. Why? Because he plays both ways. So does Hossa.

Edit: Hossa was brought here to be a great "player" not just a goal scorer as you state.

Edited by therock48880

anyone think its possible Hossa re-ups for 1 year and then when Lids contract comes off the books we give him a longer extension? obviously holland has a plan he wouldnt gut a roster, that won the cup without Hossa, to keep him

I know you're trying to think of options, but that doesn't solve anything. We could sign Hossa long term for a lower cap hit this year then re-uping him for one year. By signing him to one year, we have a HIGHER cap hit from him this year, then his cap hit drops when we sign him to an extension. If we're going to do that, it makes more sense to sign him long term now and take the lower hit now. You're essentially proposing we defer the cap benefit of a long term deal.

some of these posts make me laugh. "Hossa is losing his speed and will sign for 4-5 million. He shouldn't be making Zetterberg or Datsyuk money." Give me a break. I seriously think some of these posters do NOT watch the games. Hossa has played so solidly this playoffs, it's absurd to not see the value in this guy. The only knock I had on him was that he wasn't shooting low against Hiller. He kept firing it into Hiller's glove and chest for the first 4-5 games. I thought that was more a coaching error, though, because a lot of other Wings players were doing the same. Reminded me of the Dave Lewis era. But they solved that problem. With a win tonight and a few goals from Hossa, everyone will be all over his jock again.

You should be a Penguins fan where it's ok to only care about how many points your players score. Fact is DEFENSE is also a part of the game. Whether he's scoring or not, Hossa has been AWESOME this series and the last three games of the Anaheim series. It blows my mind when people say things like this. Take away Zetterberg's empty netters in this year's playoffs and he hasn't scored much either. Yet, he's been the team's MVP, imo. Why? Because he plays both ways. So does Hossa.

Edit: Hossa was brought here to be a great "player" not just a goal scorer as you state.

I agree that Hossa does a lot more than scoring, but he's not playing defense on the same level as Zetterberg. Not even close.

He's an awesome back-checker most of the time, but in the Defensive zone he's not that great. And he has a tendency to turn the puck over in bad positions at times, something Z almost never does. Filppula has been the defensive core of the 2nd line in Pav's absence.

some of these posts make me laugh. "Hossa is losing his speed and will sign for 4-5 million. He shouldn't be making Zetterberg or Datsyuk money." Give me a break.

I said he shouldn't earn more than Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Why should he? They're the leaders of the team, they're home-grown and Selke-quality players. Hossa is solid defensively but he's never going to win or be nominated for the Selke. And this team, in this situation, can't afford to give him that kind of money.

The deals that Franzen and Z have signed should set the standard. Hossa lands somewhere in between the two in terms of value for this team imo. Closer to Franzen than to Z in my eyes.

Age has to be taken into consideration as well. How many long-term deals and how much money do we want to give to players that are coming up on or are already at the 30-year mark?

He's a great player, and I'd love to have him on the team for years to come. But the price has to be right. I believe Holland will do the right thing though.

some of these posts make me laugh. "Hossa is losing his speed and will sign for 4-5 million. He shouldn't be making Zetterberg or Datsyuk money." Give me a break. I seriously think some of these posters do NOT watch the games. Hossa has played so solidly this playoffs, it's absurd to not see the value in this guy. The only knock I had on him was that he wasn't shooting low against Hiller. He kept firing it into Hiller's glove and chest for the first 4-5 games. I thought that was more a coaching error, though, because a lot of other Wings players were doing the same. Reminded me of the Dave Lewis era. But they solved that problem. With a win tonight and a few goals from Hossa, everyone will be all over his jock again.

I totally agree. If we can possibly sign him to a decade deal and lock him up then over the next few years the cap goes up and it's a lot easier to replace 2-3 mid tier players then 1 premium one. Especially with the (cheap) youngsters stepping up. Ironically in the "who sits" discussions when Dats and Draper come back tonight (fingers crossed on Dats), it's the guys who are rumored to be going if we sign Hoss that are the prime ones being discussed to sit over the kids. That bodes well as they actually all play longer in the regular season in Detroit starting next year.

I think we should keep Flip and then move whoever we need to keep Hoss. I like Sammy and Huds, two of the ones discussed, but keep them over Hossa? No chance. I secretly hope Huds loves it enough here to get screwed by us for a year and take minimum pay to stay and we reward him in the next year or two depending on the cap. But I'd lose him in a second to keep Hossa. Hudler so benefits from the depth of our team and I don't think he'd be as good anywhere else. And whoever replaces him if he goes will have the same benefit. I wouldn't blame him for leaving for more money if we can't offer anything more then league minimum, I just hope he feels the same, long run better to stay. TBD.

Edited by NomadFromKazoo

If this doesn't SHOUT OUT "I HAVE A HOLMSTROM HARD-ON" at 1,000,000 decibels, then I don't know what does.

Yep, since I offered up a solution that trades Holmstrom instead of Cleary which would achieve the same goal cap-wise, I definitely have a huge hard-on for Holmstrom. I prefer having Cleary on the roster; but this is the facts:

If we replace Lebda with a minimum wager, it's gonna be a guy like Helmer or worse. Even finding a decent player who would sign that kind of contract would be difficult. As strong a player as Cleary is, he is no more necessary on the team than Filppula or Holmstrom. So while in terms of skill, trading Holmstrom and Lebda would be a better option, trading Cleary would be a much more likely option given that he waives his NTC. Trading Cleary also likely brings more of a return in terms of prospects/picks than Holmstrom+Lebda combined. So while we would lose a very good second line two-way player, we would get solid prospects or good picks to replace the guys coming up next year like Helm and Leino, or soon like Abdelkader and Kindl.

I know, right?

I've been posting over at the hockeytown board forever boasting my love for Hossa and i figured i'd finally come over here and do it. As my first post i'd like to say that this man is our next contract signing, at least seven years for 5 mil a year, and CAN quote me on that.

Everyone forgets that he was the leading goalscorer in the regular season now all over the place you hear about how the guy is a choke artist. EVery athlete has problems scoring in spurts, when he's not scoring, he's creating opportunities, and this guy is something Holland will not give up on. Bet that.

Yep, since I offered up a solution that trades Holmstrom instead of Cleary which would achieve the same goal cap-wise, I definitely have a huge hard-on for Holmstrom. I prefer having Cleary on the roster; but this is the facts:

If we replace Lebda with a minimum wager, it's gonna be a guy like Helmer or worse. Even finding a decent player who would sign that kind of contract would be difficult. As strong a player as Cleary is, he is no more necessary on the team than Filppula or Holmstrom. So while in terms of skill, trading Holmstrom and Lebda would be a better option, trading Cleary would be a much more likely option given that he waives his NTC. Trading Cleary also likely brings more of a return in terms of prospects/picks than Holmstrom+Lebda combined. So while we would lose a very good second line two-way player, we would get solid prospects or good picks to replace the guys coming up next year like Helm and Leino, or soon like Abdelkader and Kindl.

You obviously haven't watched a Red Wings game in a couple of years. This is like arguing to keep Maltby over Helm. Pure stupidity.

I know, right?

I've been posting over at the hockeytown board forever boasting my love for Hossa and i figured i'd finally come over here and do it. As my first post i'd like to say that this man is our next contract signing, at least seven years for 5 mil a year, and CAN quote me on that.

Everyone forgets that he was the leading goalscorer in the regular season now all over the place you hear about how the guy is a choke artist. EVery athlete has problems scoring in spurts, when he's not scoring, he's creating opportunities, and this guy is something Holland will not give up on. Bet that.

Exactly. One thing that they have on on-line sites for soccer that I really like is a tracker that follow the players distance traveled. It shows you all the spots on the field where the player has gone and the actual distance involved in all of his running, as well as the areas changing colors the more frequently the player is in that area. I wish NHL.com had that feature so you could see the CLEAR difference in a player like Hossa. Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Draper, and Cleary play goal line to goal line. The others tend to play a little bit more blueline to blueline. This is partially because of the system we play where we lock a wing in the neutral zone to defend against counterattacks, but the point remains the same: certain players in our system have to work their asses off and play a more demanding style of hockey. Hossa is one of them. The guy is a monster up and down the ice. If you have a chance to lock a guy like Hossa up long term, you do it. That's all there is too it. As silly as it sounds, I'd rather see a 19 man roster right at the cap that includes Hossa than a 23 man roster right at the cap that doesn't.

We've all seen Hossa say he'd take less, I've read nothing but good things said from other players even people like Holland and Babcock about Hossa, and a 6 mil or less a year cap for a multi year deal? That'd be a steal.

I agree that Hossa does a lot more than scoring, but he's not playing defense on the same level as Zetterberg. Not even close.

He's an awesome back-checker most of the time, but in the Defensive zone he's not that great. And he has a tendency to turn the puck over in bad positions at times, something Z almost never does. Filppula has been the defensive core of the 2nd line in Pav's absence.

I said he shouldn't earn more than Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Why should he? They're the leaders of the team, they're home-grown and Selke-quality players. Hossa is solid defensively but he's never going to win or be nominated for the Selke. And this team, in this situation, can't afford to give him that kind of money.

The deals that Franzen and Z have signed should set the standard. Hossa lands somewhere in between the two in terms of value for this team imo. Closer to Franzen than to Z in my eyes.

Age has to be taken into consideration as well. How many long-term deals and how much money do we want to give to players that are coming up on or are already at the 30-year mark?

He's a great player, and I'd love to have him on the team for years to come. But the price has to be right. I believe Holland will do the right thing though.

I'd say that the fact he leads the playoffs in takeaways surely points out what a slacker on defense Hossa is.