• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frederick9125

Hossa wants 6million a year

Rate this topic

Holland can make 6 million work for 8 years and extend his contract to 12 years. This way the last 4 years will be nickles that brings the cap hit down.

7.5mil, 7.5mil, 7.5mil, 7.5mil, 7.0mil, 6.5mil, 6.0mil, 4.5mil, 3.5mil, 2.5mil, 1mil, 1mil = 62 million / 5.15 cap hit

^Just an example. You can work the numbers any way you want, but the last 2 years will be the drop off point.

You've got the idea. I read a post that said he could get six million one year and one million the next and that is simply not possible. This CBA says that salaries can only decrease by a certain percentage each year. With you scenario posted above, two, possibly three trades would need to be made to create cap space. Hudler would need to be traded, Lilja, and someone else.

If he truly want to play here, I think $0 is a good amount. He plays a freakin game for a living. The pros are too overpaid.

So all the money the league makes should go to administration types 'cause the players aren't very important.

If he truly want to play here, I think $0 is a good amount. He plays a freakin game for a living. The pros are too overpaid.

Right... Because all the workouts and physical toll isn't worth any sort of compensation these days.

All that money should go to the fat cat businessmen in the skybox who are severely underpaid and really worked hard for that money.

I wouldn't look too much into this. It's an opening offer - you always start high.

Contract negotiations are a lengthy process.

Take heart in the fact that it's $1.5m less than he was asking for last year. That evidences a desire to stay in Detroit.

You've got the idea. I read a post that said he could get six million one year and one million the next and that is simply not possible. This CBA says that salaries can only decrease by a certain percentage each year. With you scenario posted above, two, possibly three trades would need to be made to create cap space. Hudler would need to be traded, Lilja, and someone else.

That's correct. It can't decrease by a certain amount, but I don't know what that number is. I am sure 1.5 decrease should be okay. But stuff like this doesn't work - 7million then 1 million the next year.

But I think Holland could easily get that cap hit down to 4.7 to 4.8 if he skims the numbers

i.e 7.2mil, 7.2mil, 7.2mil, 7.0mil, 6.9mil, 6.2mil, 6.0mil, 4.3mil, 3.1mil, 1.9mil, 1mil, .900 = around 59 million and about 4.9 cap hit.

Edited by Snazzy

That's correct. It can't decrease by a certain amount, but I don't know what that number is. I am sure 1.5 decrease should be okay. But stuff like this doesn't work - 7million then 1 million the next year.

But I think Holland could easily get that cap hit down to 4.7 to 4.8 if he skims the numbers

i.e 7.2mil, 7.2mil, 7.2mil, 7.0mil, 6.9mil, 6.2mil, 6.0mil, 4.3mil, 3.1mil, 1.9mil, 1mil, .900 = around 59 million and about 4.9 cap hit.

50% maximum I believe. Just look at Z and Mule's contracts.

50% maximum I believe. Just look at Z and Mule's contracts.

The salary can decrease each year by 50% from the lesser amount of the first two years on the contract.

10 - 10 - 5 - 1 - 1 = Legal

10 - 10 - 4 - 2 - 2 = Illegal

10 - 8 - 4 - 1 - 1 = Legal

10 - 8 - 3 - 1 - 1 = Illegal

Edited by egroen

If Hossa wants 6M a year cap hit, he's gone. No way can they take another long-term heavy contract like that.

Why would Hossa care what his cap hit is? With a genius like Holland and guy like Hossa that clearly wants to play for us, I can't see some kind of deal that works in everyone's favor not getting done. Both sides want this.

Why would Hossa care what his cap hit is? With a genius like Holland and guy like Hossa that clearly wants to play for us, I can't see some kind of deal that works in everyone's favor not getting done. Both sides want this.

This. A player doesn't go into negotiations with a cap hit in mind - he goes in with an amount of money he'd like to be paid. With the options available to mitigate the hit (extending the years) and alternating payment amounts within that period, the cap hit is incredibly malleable.

i don't think they should pay him more than franzen. as far as 40 goal during the regular season...those will be spread out with other players next season. too bad ..i would have like to see what he could do in another playoff year ...i hope the wings don't give him that money. kenny is the one of the best gm's of all time so lets see what magic he works.

He will obvisouly not get an actual 6 million a year deal cap hit.

Drop the stupid rule where capt makes the most, take a chance on a little longer

Years 1 - 5 @ 8Mil

Years 6 /7/8 @ 2Mil

Years 9-12 @ 1Mil

Cap hit = 4.1 Mil

I know many are going to cringe at the length, but he will be 42 at the end and who knows he could either be a great player still (ala: Lids) and might still be very productive as a depth guy on a lower line or maybe he has slowed significantly, still would be a skilled veteran though.

Short of something like that I do not see them signing him, especially to a 10 year deal and make it come out anywhere near 4 Mil cap hit, there is just no way that makes sense.

Edit: Did not know the rule about dropping by more than 1/2 not being valid. I still see no way realistically they can get a 4mil cap hit in a 10 year deal, especially if they keep the Capt'n makes the most rule.

Edited by talex

hossa can get more than 6 million on any other team in the league. 4 million is a insult like others have said, and anything more than 4 screws the wings over.

bye hossa, have a good career else where.

you deserve more money, so go ahead and get it.

in case all of you forgot, we won the cup with out him, even against him in the finals. not to mention WITH him, he didn't produce when it counted, and we lost.

he is a great player, but in a cap world you can only have so many. I rather keep our dynasty in tact with the cap space and grab a few role players on the side as well.

like it was said when we signed him, its a once in a lifetime line up in a cap world and he probably would just be a one year thing. oh well.

he deserves more, and we don't need him.

I said before. The Wings have no chance to re-sign Hossa. But, there is only one chance I think about. He wants a long-term deal and the cap hit is no matter for Hossa. It is all about how much he makes per year. If we give Hossa around 6 million per year but decrease his salary in the late of his career, Holland can make 4 million or some around there. Well, it must be 99 percetange impossible but just a slight chance; I think Holland will may re-sign Hudler and Leino with saying bye bye to Samuelsson

On another note, I would rather see them just go for it and have him sign a 12 year with the minimal cap hit, or let him walk and bring up some of the GR kids, leaving space to fill in gaps as they become apparent during the season. Either sign him long and low, or see what the kids can do and keep some $$ on hand in case they fail to keep up.

hossa can get more than 6 million on any other team in the league. 4 million is a insult like others have said, and anything more than 4 screws the wings over.

in case all of you forgot, we won the cup with out him, even against him in the finals. not to mention WITH him, he didn't produce when it counted, and we lost.

he is a great player, but in a cap world you can only have so many. I rather keep our dynasty in tact with the cap space and grab a few role players on the side as well.

like it was said when we signed him, its a once in a lifetime line up in a cap world and he probably would just be a one year thing. oh well.

Four million would be the CAP HIT, not the amount he actually receives. Honestly, people. It's not that complicated.

Cap hit and amount actually paid are SEPARATE THINGS.

You could conceivably pay Hossa $6m/year until he retires and still make the cap hit $4m/year if you added enough years on the end at a lower amount.

30: 6

31: 6

32: 6

33: 6

34: 6

35: 6

36: 6

37: 6

RETIRE - CONTRACT OFF THE BOOKS

38: 1

39: 1

40: 1

41: 1

42: 1

43: 1

Hossa earns $6m/year and his cap hit is $3.86m/year.

Edited by flip

Why do people keep repeating this? Like xtrememachine1 and a few others have said (in this thread!), the 4 million is the cap hit, not his actual salary. Just because he'd have a cap hit of 4 million dollars doesn't mean he's being insulted by the Red Wings, as he'll still be making what he is looking to earn (salary wise).

Four million would be the CAP HIT, not the amount he actually receives. Honestly, people. It's not that complicated.

You could conceivably pay Hossa $6m/year until he retires and still make the cap hit $4m/year if you added enough years on the end at a lower amount.

Remember the rule where each years salary can only be 50% less than the previous.

Will WE get him for 6M a year? I don't know, but if somehow it works out, that'd be awesome. In the real world (outside of Detroit)... Hossa is worth at least 7, and he could reach close to 8 if he wanted to. The dude's talented and very effective.

I agree with most everything you said except that there are only a few teams that can afford him. He wants to play with a contender (or potential contender) so I think that narrows the list to:

Chicago

Vancouver

Washington

Montreal

I don't see him in Edmonton where he will never have a chance for the cup.

On another note, I would rather see them just go for it and have him sign a 12 year with the minimal cap hit, or let him walk and bring up some of the GR kids, leaving space to fill in gaps as they become apparent during the season. Either sign him long and low, or see what the kids can do and keep some $$ on hand in case they fail to keep up.

This. Either sign him with a 4 mil cap hit or don't sign him at all.

I dread waking up one of these mornings and seeing the headline "Hossa signed 8yrs at 6mil cap hit". Which would mean Kenny would have to move a significant piece(s) of the lineup to make room.

If Marian isn't willing to sign the kind of contract that brings his cap hit down, save the money and spend it on retaining Hudler, Sammy and having some space to make adjustments.

Exactly what I was thinking. Except don't forget the 50% rule. I think Hossa wants an average of 6 million per year for 8-10 years. Meaning that he couldn't care less if Holland pays him 60 million at the age 30 and one penny for the rest of his career or pay him one penny for 9 years and 60 million on his 10th year. He just want's an average of 6 million-per-year.

Some might argue that he isn't worth 6 million at the age of 39, but don't forget that he's worth 8 million at the ages of 31-33.

So no matter how you work the numbers, which Kenny will do, Hossa just wants an average 6 million through-out his career. He doesn't care about how it looks on paper to make the CAP work.

EDIT: another example would be signing Hossa for 20 years for a cap hit of 3 million.

30: 8

31: 8

32: 8

33: 8

34: 8

35: 8

36: 5.5

37: 3

38: 1.5