Rate this topic

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/ccustance.tsn/194440/

Discussions between Hossa and Wings will continue

Filed under: DetroitRedWings MarianHossa

E-MAIL |

PRINT |

COMMENTS 0 Sporting News - User Comments

Jul 01, 2009 12:30 AM report abuse

The chances of Marian Hossa signing with the Red Wings aren't great, but it still could happen. Despite reports on the eve of free agency that Hossa had turned down an offer from the Red Wings, the possibility of a deal still exists.

An NHL source told SportingNews.com late Tuesday night that discussions between the two sides will continue.

It's not an issue of either side wanting to get a deal completed, it's a matter of finding common ground. The Red Wings would like to keep Hossa at a annual salary cap number in the $4 million range, which would be considerably less than he'd earn on the open market.

He earned $7.45 million this season and led the Red Wings with 40 goals. It's safe to assume he'd be worth at least that much if he's willing to explore the idea of playing for teams with money to spend like the Los Angeles Kings or Minnesota Wild.

On Tuesday, Detroit GM Ken Holland didn't sound like a GM on the verge of getting a deal done.

"I'm not optimistic," Holland told the Detroit Free Press' Helene St. James. "I've told [Hossa's agent] Ritch Winter we'd love to keep him, but he's hoping to do a lot better than what we're able to do."

:scared: YA! that means there is still a chance.... that we'll rid ourselves of Hudler!

I'm hoping Hossa will come to his way and sign with the Wings. Get a last look at your options; you claimed you wanted to sign some where long-term and you're willing to take less to have a chance to win every year. If Hossa leaves, he leaves, if he stays then we've got Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Hossa, and Filppula which is one hell of a team right there.

Be smart Hossa, if you want to win stay here, don't judge the team just for this last season...you can't keep running around the league hoping you're going to win- Stay in one place and make the best of it.

Knees aren't "bad" because they've been injured twice in his career (including juniors) to such an extent that it caused him to miss games.

An intentional knee-to-knee hit blew out his knee when he was with the Winter Hawks and he sprained his MCL (not badly) in his first game with the Penguins. Any other "injury" to his knees has been so inconsequential that it's not even worth mentioning.

He's had a major surgery performed on one of his knees. With knee injuries like that you're almost never going to get back to where you were before the surgery. If you're feeling 100% you're still more likely to have another injury. You'll likely never walk around and have the knees feel perfect like they were before.

The human knee is the worst of all our joints from an engineering perspective. Now this is evolution's fault- we're walking upright but our body's retrofitted to do that, the base design is that of a quadruped. The knee is where this becomes more apparent. Our knee design is much more stable and resistant to injury if we walk on all fours. Once you take away that static stability you're relying on dynamic stability to resist perturbations in your gait.

What I'm getting at here is that the human knee, once seriously injured, is prone to re-injury due to intricacies in how the structure is stabilized internally and how ligaments (for example) scar/heal.

Also, after that rambling it should be noted that it's said Hossa wears knee braces during workouts anyway, so he clearly doesn't feel his knees are sparkling and new.

Edit: My ramblings on knee injuries are meant to be specific to the type of injury Hossa experienced

Edited by Drake_Marcus

If this is true and he leaves for rejecting that deal, I really hope he doesn't get booed when he comes back to the D with another team. A world class player like Hossa turning down a long term commitment worth 4 per season (yes I realize he'd make much more in the first 4-5 years of his contract) is understandable. Goodbye to Hossa, and I really enjoyed your presence. Classy guy with a great work ethic and incredible talent... Here's to good years to come.

Wooooo! Goodbye hossa. Shoulda offered that lazy deuche 2 mill. He only mixed up chemistry and defensive priority on a Stanley cup defending team.

Well write you from the conference finals against Calgary!

I think the chances of Abdelkader being a Wing next season increase with each day. We really need a cheap 4th liner/13th forward.

He's actually pretty expensive for a rookie.

Plus I don't really see Kenny icing 5 rookies on this team. He'll probably pick up a veteran forward to be used in a depth capacity on the FA market.

Leino's production should offset the loss of Samuelsson. Who's going to pick up the slack for Hudler?

The point is that we can't dump a guy like Hudler AND A guy like Hossa and expect some scrubs and rookies to stop the team from sliding- if you could do that then no team would worry about losing UFAs.

Z had an off year this past season and I expect him to pick it up in the point production area, so that cuts into Hudler's point production. Franzen seems to out do himself every season and I think Datsyuk will break 100 points this season. It's going to be nice to see what Helm can do with a full regular season too.

Well, thats all fine, but I guess my point is, if the likes of Hossa was willing to take an almost 35% paycut to stay here, maybe Hudler should consider it as well, so maybe we can have about $2 million to sign Professor X and maybe a minimum wager (Orr) for a 13th forward and keep Meech just on D. My point is, Hudler has to take a discount if some manhy Superstars did and were willing to. And what if someone does offer Hudler $3.0 million?

Colton Orr 27yrs old 3rd NHL Season

Regular Season Stats

Season GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%

2008-2009 82 1 4 5 -15 193 0 0 0 40 2.5 82 GAMES & 1 GOAL 193 F'N PIM?!?!?!

Playoff Stats

2008-2009 5 0 0 0 -1 16 0 0 0 0 0.0

2008-2009 Goals (1) Assists (4) Points (5)

Overall Tied for 594th Tied for 586th Tied for 610th

Forwards Tied for 427th Tied for 387th Tied for 408th

WHY WOULD WE WANT THIS GUY ????

Just because he's 6'3" and cheap??????????

THAT to me is cap-space wasting shananigans !!!! Shananigans I say! :thumbdown:

Regular Season Stats

Playoff Stats

Agreed, and I think our organisation does too. I can't see us signing this guy, we would go for a guy like Ellis before Orr.

Oh right. I forgot to address this "toughness" part of your Hudler speech in the other forum.

No I don't have a preference for UFC men in skates. I'm more of a fan of the pacifists like Lidstrom and Zetterberg who just try to tie up a guy until he calms down. No agitating. No nothing. Just keep them at bay until the next faceoff. Kind of like when a little kid is running at you in anger and you just place your hand on his head while he flails about missing every swing.

The only thing I liked about Colton Orr is that night he went after Crosby constantly. It was hilarious. He baited him and whiny face fell for it again and again.

Guest mindfly

Why don't they trade his freaking rights and recieve a 3rd rounder or so?

Its too late for that, and I presume the Wings would still like him to consider their offer.

Posturing is a big part of negotiating, and I suspect both sides have done some.

Regular Season Stats

Playoff Stats

So we don't lose key defensemen to season-ending concussions because he felt like he needed to stand up to someone. (btw, ever wonder what would have happened in the SCF if Lilja had been there? He was, arguably, their top penalty killer and top shot blocker. The Wings were BRUTAL on the Pk in that series) So we don't lose a regular member of our fourth line and penalty killer to a season-ending broken orbital bone because he felt like the other team was taking liberties with his team. So we don't have one of your superstar forwards (I'm referring to the Hossa fight, I don't think the Zetterberg fight could have been avoided) fighting against a guy from the other team because he was sick of them taking liberties against his team. So, at the end of a game, we don't see the opponent jumping Rafalski and beating his face in. So we don't see an opponent goading Datsyuk into dropping the gloves at the end of a game. See a pattern here?

Whether people like it or not, there WILL be fights in hockey games. Who do you want fighting for the Wings? A guy whose job is to fight, or Zetterberg, or Datsyuk, or Rafalski, or Lilja, etc...

Edited by therock48880

I like Hudler. I really do. He has earned everything he has gotten in Detroit. He deserves credit for that. However this team needs some more size and grit to go with the all world skill. We have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula and Cleary up front. Leino is another skilled guy who can likely score alot of points. And he will be much cheaper than Hudler is. As much a I like Hudler, the Red Wings do not NEED him. If we end up re-signing him then I will not be sad. For $1.5 mil Hudler is a good salary to have. Hudler at $3 mil on THIS team is redundant. Kind of like when we had Robert Lang at 3 mil to centre the 3rd line. In a Cap world, a GM has to manage his team shrewdly which Kenny does an excellent job of doing. When I read Kenny say I GAVE HUDLER'S AGENT AN OFFER AND HE WAS LESS THAN THRILLED it makes me think they lowballed him. They have to lowball him because they simply cannot afford to pay Hudler 2.5-3 mil a season which given Jiri's production is what he deserves in the current market. In the end I believe Hudler will be traded for draft picks.

Hudler is a RESTRICTED Free Agent. That means, the Wings make him an offer. If he doesn't accept it he has to go to arbitration. The arbitrator then rules whether or not it is a fair offer. If the Wings don't accept the offer then I believe he becomes an UFA. The other possibility is that another team drops an offer sheet on Huds. If that happens, the Wings can either match it or get compensated with draft picks.

Offer sheets are rare in the NHL. They occur about once a season in the entire NHL. Now think of all the RFA's out there - a couple per team at least say 60-70 and there are ususally only 1-2 offer sheets per year. It's very unlikley that somebody is going to give Huds an offer sheet especially give that he is small and just came off an unproductive playoff when there are so many better RFA's out there.

The only realistic possibility for Huds to be gone is that the Wings trade him and they clearly don't want to do that.

Huds isn't going anywhere...

I

Hudler is a RESTRICTED Free Agent. That means, the Wings make him an offer. If he doesn't accept it he has to go to arbitration. The arbitrator then rules whether or not it is a fair offer. If the Wings don't accept the offer then I believe he becomes an UFA. The other possibility is that another team drops an offer sheet on Huds. If that happens, the Wings can either match it or get compensated with draft picks.

Offer sheets are rare in the NHL. They occur about once a season in the entire NHL. Now think of all the RFA's out there - a couple per team at least say 60-70 and there are ususally only 1-2 offer sheets per year. It's very unlikley that somebody is going to give Huds an offer sheet especially give that he is small and just came off an unproductive playoff when there are so many better RFA's out there.

The only realistic possibility for Huds to be gone is that the Wings trade him and they clearly don't want to do that.

Huds isn't going anywhere...

I

Everyone assumes Hudler is going to get an offer sheet. If he does get one and its around 2.5mil I think the Wings try to make it work at that, anything over that you start getting into some pretty big compensation coming back the Wings way and I don't see teams giving up that much for Jiri Hudler. If it's 2.6 to 3.9 the Wings get a 1st and a 3rd back. I don't see a team doing that. If they want to go ahead I'll take it.