• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LeftWinger

Ok, Jiri Hudler

Rate this topic

176 posts in this topic

No. You clearly don't understand the analogy. A proponent of *** marriage is not blinded by an ulterior belief system, i.e. Christianity. Thats the point. Arguing with someone who already has their mind made up about soft, skilled Euros without from the beginning is akin to arguing about same-sex marriage with a Christian conservative because they've never been open to the alternative. Understand, now?

No I don't. I know plenty of *** marriage advocates who "already have their mind made up" about how they feel about it and are not open to hearing other points of view. It certainly goes both ways.

Also, in what ways is the Christian belief system "ulterior" in the scenerio you mention? Are you talking about secret-Christians or something?

And a pro-Hudler "slappy"? Like me?

Where on earth did I imply that you were anything? I was merely pointing out that there are pro and anti Hudler fanatics, and that both seem equally niggardly in their critical thought expendatures.

What the HELL is going on in this thread?

We're discussing the merits of keeping Hudler vs finding someone else who can fill his skates.

We're just doing it LGW style.

BTW, after re-reading my previous post, I realize that it seems that I think that Hudler could be quite easily replaced. I do not think that he's a cog in the Winged Wheel that can just be thrown out. I just think that we can find someone -dare I say it?- grittier to do his job and hopefully put up points (although not likely as many) for less than what it will take to keep him. If we can't find that someone, then Hudler is welcome to stay as far as I'm concerned.

What the HELL is going on in this thread?

People are talking at eachother out of boredom, because the Wings aren't doing anything right now. Get used to it, don't expect anything different until Traverse.

If Hudler is willing to sign for less than $3m you have to fit him in somehow.

The Wings have a lot of offense to make up, and Filppula is not the one who is going to be doing it. Leino should be able to help, but he is actually older than Hudler, and accomplished far less.

Hudler, alone, can make a 3rd or 4th line a consistent scoring threat... that is your downside. Upside is he gets paired with Franzen and sets him up for 40+ goals, potting 20+ goals of his own.

Edited by egroen

We dont have enough cap room to re-sign him and have the depth we need. I wont be happy if he returns, nothing against him personally, but his lack of any defensive skills and small size really do get annoying sometimes. As do his lack of even strength goals.

Id rather take the draft picks.

Understand, now?

He really lost me when he said he grew up under the supervision of white supremacists. Even if that was a joke.

Who the f*** cares if they are more useful at even strength? The point is Hudler puts up points at even strength AND on the powerplay. Its not like we have to pick between one of Cleary, Filppula, and Hudler. We're choosing between Hudler or guys who can't even score in the double digits.

At any rate, you and GMR shouldn't even be in this discussion, because your bias against small, skilled players doesn't allow you to think clearly. Its like arguing about same-sex marriage with a Christian conservative.

Burn. And so true.

I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if anyone has asked this or said this or whatever but; what happens if we don't keep Hudler? Personally I would definetly like to keep him but he is a Free Agent even if he is Resticted we still may lose him.

What do you think would be our game-plan if we did indeed part ways with Jiri Hudler?

We dont have enough cap room to re-sign him and have the depth we need. I wont be happy if he returns, nothing against him personally, but his lack of any defensive skills and small size really do get annoying sometimes. As do his lack of even strength goals.

Id rather take the draft picks.

:ranting: You Limey bastard quit hating Huddles just 'cause he's vertically challenged!!! Yous suxxxx!!! AARRRGGHHHH!!! :ranting:

XOXO,

The Jiri Hudler fan camp.

I'd say they remind me of this, and this method of fighting cancer..

I really don't understand the thought process behind being unwilling to pay 2.5 million for one of the only guys we have not looking 30 or 40 right in the face... You want to add grit to the lineup? Fine by me, but do so by cutting ties with older players long past their prime... not with young guys who put up decent offense (offense, btw, is what we have been losing this offseason, not defense)... Who do you really think is lining up for 2.5 a year with any kind of tallent anyways?

Signing Hudler doesn't hurt us in the Cap department, because we have numerous expendible pieces that can (NAY, should) be traded away. Lilja and/or Lebda are both pretty useless, and our top 5 is set in stone with Lids, Rafalski, Ericsson, Kronwall, and Stuart. Maltby has been worthless for the past 4 seasons (in that time he hasn't scored more than 11 points, and has been in the negative +/- every season). I'd hate to get rid of guys like Draper or Maltby due to their long tenure with the franchise, but as long as we're being cold and pragmatic in dialogue when deciding what players are unecessary, we must be honest in saying that, for the price, Hudler is far more valuable than Draper, Maltby, Lebda, Lilja, and probably even Homer (when you begin factoring in the injuries and wear and tear on his body, he has been looking older out there than Cheli). If we want to talk about our unsigned boys, then Hudler is again more important than Leino (youtube hit count aside) and/or Samuelsson.. Yes, I'm aware of the difference in cash and cap we're discussing here, and Hudler will cost more to keep than Lilja/Lebda combined, but if Draft Picks or a few Grit guys are your objective, better to get them through trading away some of the fat to teams that either need the depth or some leadership from veteran cup winners, than getting rid of one of the sole young guys we actually have..

Edited by RedWings Gone Wild

I'd say they remind me of this, and this method of fighting cancer..

Sometimes I really question the age of posters like that. The scary thing is, in their case, they're actually among the older adults on this forum. I'm honestly scared that I'm going to be that stupid and stubborn when I'm their age.

He really lost me when he said he grew up under the supervision of white supremacists. Even if that was a joke.

Who grew up under the supervision of white supremecists?

I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if anyone has asked this or said this or whatever but; what happens if we don't keep Hudler? Personally I would definetly like to keep him but he is a Free Agent even if he is Resticted we still may lose him.

What do you think would be our game-plan if we did indeed part ways with Jiri Hudler?

Most likely give the kids from GR (Helm/Abdelkader) a chance to play on a reg basis, and have Leino/Cleary in Hudlers slot on the 2nd pp unit.

I'm sure we'll manage.

I really don't understand the thought process behind being unwilling to pay 2.5 million for one of the only guys we have not looking 30 or 40 right in the face... You want to add grit to the lineup? Fine by me, but do so by cutting ties with older players long past their prime... not with young guys who put up decent offense (offense, btw, is what we have been losing this offseason, not defense)... Who do you really think is lining up for 2.5 a year with any kind of tallent anyways?

Signing Hudler doesn't hurt us in the Cap department, because we have numerous expendible pieces that can (NAY, should) be traded away. Lilja and/or Lebda are both pretty useless, and our top 5 is set in stone with Lids, Rafalski, Ericsson, Kronwall, and Stuart. Maltby has been worthless for the past 4 seasons (in that time he hasn't scored more than 11 points, and has been in the negative +/- every season). I'd hate to get rid of guys like Draper or Maltby due to their long tenure with the franchise, but as long as we're being cold and pragmatic in dialogue when deciding what players are unecessary, we must be honest in saying that, for the price, Hudler is far more valuable than Draper, Maltby, Lebda, Lilja, and probably even Homer (when you begin factoring in the injuries and wear and tear on his body, he has been looking older out there than Cheli). If we want to talk about our unsigned boys, then Hudler is again more important than Leino (youtube hit count aside) and/or Samuelsson.. Yes, I'm aware of the difference in cash and cap we're discussing here, and Hudler will cost more to keep than Lilja/Lebda combined, but if Draft Picks or a few Grit guys are your objective, better to get them through trading away some of the fat to teams that either need the depth or some leadership from veteran cup winners, than getting rid of one of the sole young guys we actually have..

Lebda had a solid reg season, and didn't look too bad IMO throughout the playoffs...Lilja's physical presence, and shot blocking was sorely missed.

I like both Kronwall/Stuart, but these 2 were pretty guilty of coughing up the puck at some of the worst times, and had noticable defensive lapses this past spring.

Lebda had a solid reg season, and didn't look too bad IMO throughout the playoffs...Lilja's physical presence, and shot blocking was sorely missed.

I like both Kronwall/Stuart, but these 2 were pretty guilty of coughing up the puck at some of the worst times, and had noticable defensive lapses this past spring.

I wasn't saying Kronwall and Stuart played well, just saying their position as our #2 pairing is pretty much set. The point is expendibility, which is synonymous with Ledba for sure, and Lilja wouldn't have made much of a difference. He basically lost his spot to Ericsson, who is better and younger. Yeah, I thought Kronwall and Stuart both played pretty poorly at times, but they are not in danger of losing their playing time to Lilja, Lebda, or Meech... that's for sure. I could see Ericsson sliding up a spot if they continue to struggle, but that's about it. So, at least one D-man should go... Meech is versatile (can double as a forward if needed) and young/cheap. That leaves Lilja or Lebda.. and Lilja makes more $$. Bye bye to one of them and there is at least enough cap for a half decent 4th liner who drops the gloves on occasion.

I wasn't saying Kronwall and Stuart played well, just saying their position as our #2 pairing is pretty much set. The point is expendibility, which is synonymous with Ledba for sure, and Lilja wouldn't have made much of a difference. He basically lost his spot to Ericsson, who is better and younger. Yeah, I thought Kronwall and Stuart both played pretty poorly at times, but they are not in danger of losing their playing time to Lilja, Lebda, or Meech... that's for sure. I could see Ericsson sliding up a spot if they continue to struggle, but that's about it. So, at least one D-man should go... Meech is versatile (can double as a forward if needed) and young/cheap. That leaves Lilja or Lebda.. and Lilja makes more $$. Bye bye to one of them and there is at least enough cap for a half decent 4th liner who drops the gloves on occasion.

Re: The bolded

I'm not saying you're wrong concerning Ericsson being younger and/or better, but to say that Lilja lost his spot to Big Rig is ludicrous. You do remember that Lils sustained a head injury that kept him from playing? And that he's still suffering headaches from said injury and don't know when he's going to be healthy enough to play next season. It's not like Lilja was playing poorly and Ericsson was brought in to replace him.

Meech is neither a good forward, nor a good Dman which is why he rarely plays...Keeping him over Lebda/Lilja would be a poor choice.

As of right now I'm not aware of Lilja's condition, and if he'll be cleared to play by the team DRs later this summer...If the team DRs won't clear him to play - then it's either long-term injury reserve, or he retires; either way Lebda will be our #6 Dman.

I'd prefer to see Abby, or Helm instead of Meech up front.

Re: The bolded

I'm not saying you're wrong concerning Ericsson being younger and/or better, but to say that Lilja lost his spot to Big Rig is ludicrous. You do remember that Lils sustained a head injury that kept him from playing? And that he's still suffering headaches from said injury and don't know when he's going to be healthy enough to play next season. It's not like Lilja was playing poorly and Ericsson was brought in to replace him.

Lilja was solid last season :thumbup: ; too bad for his bell getting rung :(