http://blog.mlive.co...nd_speak_2.html

audio clip inside link

#2 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

Gary Bettman sees this as a lose-lose scenario. Less goals all around. Empty seats will be everywhere w00t.gif

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#3 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

Sounds good to me.

The 2008-2009 Red Wings were the best scorers in the league but were in the bottom half of the league defensively. They made it to game 7 of the Finals.

The 2007-2008 Red Wings were among the best scorers, but not the top team, and were among the best defensive teams as well. They won the Stanley Cup in game 6 of the Finals.

What was the difference between the winning Wings and losing Wings? Defense. We don't need to be the top team in the league in scoring, we need to have the lowest GAA and the best PK.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#4 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:45 PM

That's just crazy enough to work

#5 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Awesome interview. Thanks.

I like his point of view that without the crutch (Hossa), this team will have no choice but to get back to the great defensive hockey we know they can play. Not to mention that a season of solid defensive play would seem to lessen overall wear and tear.

Sounds like a plan. smile.gif

Edited by Broken 16, 07 July 2009 - 02:52 PM.

#6 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ July 7, 2009 - 03:41PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds good to me.

The 2008-2009 Red Wings were the best scorers in the league but were in the bottom half of the league defensively. They made it to game 7 of the Finals.

The 2007-2008 Red Wings were among the best scorers, but not the top team, and were among the best defensive teams as well. They won the Stanley Cup in game 6 of the Finals.

What was the difference between the winning Wings and losing Wings? Defense. We don't need to be the top team in the league in scoring, we need to have the lowest GAA and the best PK.

Way to go Drake! There goes all the Hudler-maniacs arguemtn about replacing his 23 goals with a defensive FA who can only score 10! Now what are they use against me? laugh.gif

Seriously, unlike a lot of users here, I don't think we are going to suffer much by losing Hossa/Sammy and possibly Hudler. SUre that is 80 or so goals, but if you get more defensive minded forwards than Hudler is, you can easily shave off 40 or more goals against this season, and you know that with Helm playing all year he is gonna put some in the net, as well as whoever they sign or bring up. If we lose Hudler, it won't be the end of the world, everyone should just calm down...

Leino is should get 15-20, Helm should get 10-15, Joe UFA should get you 10. On the low end thats 35 goals if you have more defensinve minded forwards, you will esily make up the difference...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#7 zata20

zata20

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (LeftWinger @ July 7, 2009 - 02:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Way to go Drake! There goes all the Hudler-maniacs arguemtn about replacing his 23 goals with a defensive FA who can only score 10! Now what are they use against me? laugh.gif

Seriously, unlike a lot of users here, I don't think we are going to suffer much by losing Hossa/Sammy and possibly Hudler. SUre that is 80 or so goals, but if you get more defensive minded forwards than Hudler is, you can easily shave off 40 or more goals against this season, and you know that with Helm playing all year he is gonna put some in the net, as well as whoever they sign or bring up. If we lose Hudler, it won't be the end of the world, everyone should just calm down...

Leino is should get 15-20, Helm should get 10-15, Joe UFA should get you 10. On the low end thats 35 goals if you have more defensinve minded forwards, you will esily make up the difference...

Ya I think I have to agree with you. Even without Hudler I think we are just as deep as Calgary (actually quite deeper on offense) and I think they could be a legitimate contender if Kiprusoff returns to old form. Obviously our top six must pick up some of the slack, but I believe if we can sure up our defense we will be fine. (Osgood/Howard must be strong too)

#8 MadMan Mark

MadMan Mark

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

We have some of the best defensive forwards in the game. They will create opportunities from their play. I don't care if we win 2-0, 2-1, 3-2, as long as we win. I believe we will see a much tighter checked game in our own zone, taking care not to be out of position.

We have the best defensive player to ever lace up the skates and young, tough hitters to fill out our D corp.

I want to see an improved PK. That seemed to be our Achilles heel.

Go Wings!

#9 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (MadMan Mark @ July 7, 2009 - 03:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have some of the best defensive forwards in the game. They will create opportunities from their play. I don't care if we win 2-0, 2-1, 3-2, as long as we win. I believe we will see a much tighter checked game in our own zone, taking care not to be out of position.

We have the best defensive player to ever lace up the skates and young, tough hitters to fill out our D corp.

I want to see an improved PK. That seemed to be our Achilles heel.

Go Wings!

Exactly! But, in Brad McCrimmon up to the task? I say hire Chelios or try to intice Jaques LEmaire to come here to be the Defense coach...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#10 MadMan Mark

MadMan Mark

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (LeftWinger @ July 7, 2009 - 01:09PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly! But, in Brad McCrimmon up to the task? I say hire Chelios or try to intice Jaques LEmaire to come here to be the Defense coach...

Now that is an idea. . . Let Lemaire focus on the D and PK. . . doubt it would ever happen but I like it

#11 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

It's maybe putting a little bit of faith into a guy like Leino, but I figure that between him and Flip and hopefully Hudler they'll be able to recoup the 60 goals lost from Hossa and Sammy, or close to it. If Hank gets back into gear and has another 40 goal campaign or Franzen can stay healthy, who knows.

For sure, though, they've got to be better on defense. Ozzie will be better, couldn't be much worse than last year but I think he's going to be good, so I anticipate the season will be a little more enjoyable this year. Which doesn't say anything about the playoffs, but that's a long ways from now.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#12 sureWhyNot

sureWhyNot

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ July 7, 2009 - 02:41PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds good to me.

Spot on.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings."

- Steve Yzerman

#13 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

Sounds good to me.

Although we did have the 2nd best GAA in the playoffs, even better then Pittsburgh. Our PK was still horrible tho.

Posted Image

#14 E_S_A_D

E_S_A_D

“Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocritie

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Holland really knows how to get fans pumped for the regular season! lol...
I like a man who grins when he fights. ---Sir Winston Churchill

#15 WingsCaptain

WingsCaptain

Captain For The Ages

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Sounds good to me.

S'what I've been saying for the past week since people started crying that Hossa left. We had better defensive numbers and won a Cup without him. With him, we had about 30 more GF, but lost. Back to my old mantra: "Offense gets you to the playoffs, but defense wins Cups."

~ Z

#16 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (10 Minute Misconduct @ July 7, 2009 - 04:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although we did have the 2nd best GAA in the playoffs, even better then Pittsburgh. Our PK was still horrible tho.

That just tells you that 5 on 5 we were virtually unbeatable, if we take care of the PK, we're golden! or should I say Silver! wink.gif

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#17 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

Does this mean we're getting rid of Brad McCrimmon?!

O.o

#18 Scotty

Scotty

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

Makes sense, Detroit's not going to score as many goals without Hossa (and probably Hudler too) so they're going to have to give up less goals too. No surprise here.

QUOTE (Four @ July 7, 2009 - 05:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this mean we're getting rid of Brad McCrimmon?!

LOL

Edited by Scotty, 07 July 2009 - 05:00 PM.

Goodbye: Hossa, Kopecky, Conklin, Samuelsson, Haydar, Hudler
Stayin' Put: Leino
Welcome: Newbury, Williams, Ehrhardt, Janik

#19 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

allow fewer goals = HOW???
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#20 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (E_S_A_D @ July 7, 2009 - 04:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holland really knows how to get fans pumped for the regular season! lol...

Was that what he was trying to do?

Seems like he would have said something like "You ready for some hardcore puck possession action? Well in the 2009-2010 season you are going to get that AND MOREEEE! FEWER GOALS! LESS AND LESS GOALS!! LESS FIGHTS!!! MORE HOLDING THE PUCK!!! MORE DEFENSIVE PLAY!! AND YOU GUESSED IT....BETTER TEAM DISCIPLINE!! I'M READY, ARE YOU!?"