• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crazy13

Ken Holland about next years roster and williams

Rate this topic

I think we Hollan signed Williams because it gives us scoring potential on our top three lines once again. Each of our top three lines now can be lined up with a sniper, a playmaker, and a power forward type - of course all three of those terms being thrown around loosely. I'm thinking this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Leino-Filpula-Franzen

Williams-Helm-Cleary

Eaves-Draper-Maltby

I think those lines look pretty damn good to be honest, even though I don't reall like Williams either. Dude did have a huge shot though IIRC.

Holland really knows how to get fans pumped up for the season ... I think his plan is to keep the Joe completely empty so that our "hockey players" can focus on playing instead of being distracted by loud fans

Nah, I think the fans at the JLA get secretly excited when one of our players dives and turtles in the middle of a scrum.

Everyone. Settle down.

Life has a way of screwing me over all the time. I think Jason Williams is going to fail and a is a huge chump. Therefore... he will net 60 points this season and get the Stanley Cup winner. You heard it here first.

Edited by Peleshob

The fact were over the cap because of signing Williams says it all, Holland screwed up. I'd rather have Abdelkader and some room for the deadline then having the team we have all year. God, this is gonna be 05-06 all over again but worse. I've been positive all offseason, saying that we wont be affected by the loses we've had, so you cant say I'm some sort of negative guy, I just know this is the wrong move. Williams has been hated by fans in all 3 cities, hasnt dont much, I think he almost got 20 playing top minutes in Atlanta and top 9 minutes in Columbus. 3 points in 23 playoff games, I wish this was some sort of nightmare. At the very least they'll still be Cleary, Helm, Ericsson... and even the Eaves deal looked smart, but this, man.

Everyone. Settle down.

Life has a way of screwing me over all the time. I think Jason Williams is going to fail and a is a huge chump. Therefore... he will net 60 points this season and get the Stanley Cup winner. You heard it here first.

I like your attitude, sir. Yes indeedy.

Can a climb aboard this wobbly bandwagon of misguided hopes and dreams??

I like your attitude, sir. Yes indeedy.

Can a climb aboard this wobbly bandwagon of misguided hopes and dreams??

Sure thing. I'm still fully convinced that Jessica Biel is going to call my cell phone and ask me to marry her.

He had 50 points ONCE in his whole career. Good players don't go through THREE teams in 2 seasons. No one wants this guy. Did you guys watch the Wings before 2008? Do you remember how he played with the team? I sure as hell do. I mean, it was because of his lackluster play and s*** attitude that got his ass benched by Babs (which Willaims bitched about to the press later which pissed me off even more). This is also the guy who looked by far the worse player during the Edmonton series in 06.

Have you all forgotten this? It was a godsend that we got rid of this nuisance when we did, and now we're just bringing him back?

Ugh.

Marian Hossa lol

Guest DetroitBoy313

Hey people! It's been a while since I've posted.I actually wanted to leave hockey behind until October since that horrifying loss in game 7 that I possibly will never get over for the rest of my life..lol.Anyway,you people are a trip.I haven't read through all the posts but there is a SALARY CAP people!!! We can't go out and get the superstars anymore because this what the NHL wanted!!! If there was NO SALARY CAP we would STILL HAVE MARIAN HOSSA!! So stop all your f--kin' complaining people because this is something that all of us expected and you guys are all acting like this came out of nowhere.Calm down and get ready to root for the DETROIT RED WINGS in the fall.Let's go Wings!!

Williams

Euro

ah hahahahaha. I do agree with you about the let-Williams-earn-his-spot thing, but your xenophobia is becoming casual to the point of laziness now.

For f*** sake it didn't work out last year, why are we going to just lose another dman because Holland is deciding to turn our bottom half of the roster into s*** :lebda/meech/draper/maltby/WILLIAMS!!!!!!!

To be fair, a single game determined the difference between 'did work' and 'didn't work' last year. f***, the year before that it DID work - though certainly gritty I wouldn't say Dallas Drake was an enforcer by any stretch of the imagination, nor was a completely-ineffectual McCarty. Furthermore, to simply dump the enforcer excuse as an explanation for why the Wings weren't quite able to close out that last series I feel is simply too shallow to serve as a satisfying point of improvement in and of itself.

Not that I'm happy about Williams being on the roster in the slightest, but everyone here talks about the lack of an enforcer last season as though we were chilling out with the Coyotes in the conference basement because of it. The last two playoff runs have been objective proof that the Wings can be immensely sucessful without the cast of Slapshot on the fourth line, no amount of bickering is going to be able to circumvent that fact. It's just yet another case of Wings fans having been spoiled with success.

Edited by Cern

Yeah, what the hell does Ken Holland know about running a hockey club? (I mean aside from winning)

When you have a core of Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Franzen/Lidstrom, Mike Milbury can be the GM and the team would still win often. If Holland had a lot of input into drafting those players then he deserves credit. If not, well he's been lucky to have that core because many of his signings/trades have not worked out.

To be fair, a single game determined the difference between 'did work' and 'didn't work' last year. f***, the year before that it DID work - though certainly gritty I wouldn't say Dallas Drake was an enforcer by any stretch of the imagination, nor was a completely-ineffectual McCarty. Furthermore, to simply dump the enforcer excuse as an explanation for why the Wings weren't quite able to close out that last series I feel is simply too shallow to serve as a satisfying point of improvement in and of itself.

Not that I'm happy about Williams being on the roster in the slightest, but everyone here talks about the lack of an enforcer last season as though we were chilling out with the Coyotes in the conference basement because of it. The last two playoff runs have been objective proof that the Wings can be immensely sucessful without the cast of Slapshot on the fourth line, no amount of bickering is going to be able to circumvent that fact. It's just yet another case of Wings fans having been spoiled with success.

logic? on this forum? i think you might be lost.

I think we Hollan signed Williams because it gives us scoring potential on our top three lines once again. Each of our top three lines now can be lined up with a sniper, a playmaker, and a power forward type - of course all three of those terms being thrown around loosely. I'm thinking this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Leino-Filpula-Franzen

Williams-Helm-Cleary

Eaves-Draper-Maltby

I think those lines look pretty damn good to be honest, even though I don't reall like Williams either. Dude did have a huge shot though IIRC.

I completely agree with that, including your lines.

Our strength is Dats, Zeta, Mule, Fil, and Cleary. These 5 fowards make us an excellent team. Plus we have some expectation in Leino and Eaves. Plus a 40 points producer in Williams. Plus excellent checker and penalty killer in Helm, possibility to call up Abby. What else do you need? We have salary cup, do you remember? And I did not even mention our real strength making us a Cup contender - our defenseman. Lids, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Ericsson are now best top-5 defs in this league. We're going to be good. Very good in the upcoming season.

He had 50 points ONCE in his whole career. Good players don't go through THREE teams in 2 seasons. No one wants this guy. Did you guys watch the Wings before 2008? Do you remember how he played with the team? I sure as hell do. I mean, it was because of his lackluster play and s*** attitude that got his ass benched by Babs (which Willaims bitched about to the press later which pissed me off even more). This is also the guy who looked by far the worse player during the Edmonton series in 06.

Have you all forgotten this? It was a godsend that we got rid of this nuisance when we did, and now we're just bringing him back?

Ugh.

I remember Jason ******* Williams all too well. Won't go into traffic, won't hit, etc. Basically Sammie without the size and defensive ability and the scoring. Unbelievable.

logic? on this forum? i think you might be lost.

Well, I'm trying to get into law school. I try to pretend posting on here is giving me some kind of impromptu practice :blink:

Guest E_S_A_D

This is the least positive anticipation I have had for an upcoming Red Wings season in 30 years of watching Red Wings hockey.

I completely agree with that, including your lines.

Our strength is Dats, Zeta, Mule, Fil, and Cleary. These 5 fowards make us an excellent team. Plus we have some expectation in Leino and Eaves. Plus a 40 points producer in Williams. Plus excellent checker and penalty killer in Helm, possibility to call up Abby. What else do you need? We have salary cup, do you remember? And I did not even mention our real strength making us a Cup contender - our defenseman. Lids, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Ericsson are now best top-5 defs in this league. We're going to be good. Very good in the upcoming season.

How dare you not overreact and act like a jerkoff!! Where do you get off using logic and thought? Unless you are just miserable and disagree with everything that the Wings do, why would you want to be part of this forum?

I would rather see Aaron Downey playing the point on the PP.

I'm completely fine with the Wings style of play and the way they do things, but this Jason Williams thing is such a step backwards in so many ways.

I mean, the kid has no backbone whatsoever and his two-way play is brutal. Whatever offense he contributes will be negated by his lack of grit and turnovers.

He was the poster child for the type of player the Wings needed to get rid of two years ago and it's even worse that we're bringing him back now after losing the depth Hudler and Samuelsson provided.

I hate this move at every level.

This is the least positive anticipation I have had for an upcoming Red Wings season in 30 years of watching Red Wings hockey.

So you were feeling pretty positive at the 1982 opener, then?

I've been saying this since mid-June. People act like this last year was a failure because we lost when I'd say if anything, we were probably more successful this year than last proportionally. Last year we had no excuse to lose because we were fairly healthy. This year we had so many reasons why we should've lost with all the critical injuries we had and the rough defense and we still took it to game 7 and lost by a goal. Again, considering all of our injuries to top players, that's unbelievable. Last year was anything but a failure. We just didn't have any luck in terms of injuries.