• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

DirecTV dropping Versus network

Rate this topic

Give me CBC in hi-def. Now.

Hi-def CBC/TSN broadcasts are delicious :cool:

Now they just need to stop constantly broadcasting the east-coast Canadian teams getting their asses handed to them by the team of the week

Guest CaliWingsNut
The NHL network doesn't cover the playoffs so that doesn't mean s***. Also, many Wings fans live outside Detroit (we're not the Pens :) ), so this does prevent many of us from watching games, especially playoff games.

Online streaming is always available, but hardly reliable.

Online streaming has consistently gotten better.

DirectTV was doomed from the beginning. TV is headed to the internet (cable being the benefactor), and that doesn't work very well with satellites.

I am pretty sure that for us local viewers, whatever Wings games that are on Vs. will probably be picked up by FSD, or mayb even a local "AIR" network, sorta like Channel 50 again. Maybe this also means we will have Ken and Mickey through three rounds of playoffs, instead of just two. Whatever the case,I am sure MR. Ilitch will not stand for his local viewers not being able to watch all the games and the playoffs...

BTW, f*** Bettman and his nephew Cindy Lee Crosby

I am pretty sure that for us local viewers, whatever Wings games that are on Vs. will probably be picked up by FSD, or mayb even a local "AIR" network, sorta like Channel 50 again. Maybe this also means we will have Ken and Mickey through three rounds of playoffs, instead of just two. Whatever the case,I am sure MR. Ilitch will not stand for his local viewers not being able to watch all the games and the playoffs...

Not going to happen. Versus is a national network contract. Whatever exclusive games they have will and cannot be picked up by any other network.

On another note, Comcast owns Versus, so may be they kept driving the price up to stick it to DirecTV, a little.

Not going to happen. Versus is a national network contract. Whatever exclusive games they have will and cannot be picked up by any other network.

On another note, Comcast owns Versus, so may be they kept driving the price up to stick it to DirecTV, a little.

yeah it didn't happen on our local sports channel either,FSPI it was blacked out when versus had the playoff games. And we even have bettman on our payroll !

Edited by Dan Bylsma

I wouldn't be too surprised if DirecTV got a deal done by late September/early October.

Or sooner, for college football sakes given that the season is just around the corner. VS doesn't broadcast the top-tier of the bunch of Big 12 or Pac 10 games, but still solid matchups. Of course just speculation/guessing/hope on my part.

There is no such thing as a decent television delivery system anymore...

DirecTV, Comcast, AT&T Uverse, WOW, Time Warner, Dish Network...

We have more options now than we've ever had and yet rates keep going up not down, yet every other technology gets cheaper over time. f*** television! The Ipod I bought a year ago is 100 cheaper, the laptop I bought 3 years ago is not worth half of what it once was, My PS3 just had a 100 price drop...

What's worse is we don't even get reliability, my internet slows down or goes offline, my television pixelizes.

BULLs***

Wow, the NHL looks lamer and lamer all the time. First they were dropped by ESPN and went to the "Outdoor Life Network" aka the redneck channel, now said (renamed) channel gets dropped from 18 million homes.

I'm not sure how you cant blame Bettman for something like this, but go ahead and try. Also, DirecTV can suck it, I'm cancelling soon when the contract is up.

Streaming it is then? :unsure:

We have more options now than we've ever had and yet rates keep going up not down, yet every other technology gets cheaper over time. f*** television! The Ipod I bought a year ago is 100 cheaper, the laptop I bought 3 years ago is not worth half of what it once was, My PS3 just had a 100 price drop...

What's worse is we don't even get reliability, my internet slows down or goes offline, my television pixelizes.

BULLs***

This. :thumbup:

Wow, the NHL looks lamer and lamer all the time. First they were dropped by ESPN and went to the "Outdoor Life Network" aka the redneck channel, now said (renamed) channel gets dropped from 18 million homes.

I'm not sure how you cant blame Bettman for something like this, but go ahead and try. Also, DirecTV can suck it, I'm cancelling soon when the contract is up.

Streaming it is then? :unsure:

VS also broadcasts college football, the Tour De France, and cage fighting and the like. Hard to really consider those redneck sports.

VS also broadcasts college football, the Tour De France, and cage fighting and the like. Hard to really consider those redneck sports.

yeah, but when hockey first started on OLN it very much was a hunting/fishing based channel. i think cycling might have been around back then, but that was about the only thing they had when they got the nhl deal after the lockout. they have done decently well at rebranding themselves, but they are still a pretty low priority channel for most people.

one more reason to drop the dish...

This deal gets done probably even before college football season starts up. If you have DirecTV, start e-mailing or calling. They actually will respond, especially to the e-mails. Until this is resolved, I will be sending an e-mail a day.

I've been with DirecTV since 1995 and this is the FIRST programming issue I can recall. Sucks that it happens to be where the national games are, but I doubt they drop the channel. What do I care, I'll get Center Ice and even if a deal doesn't get done, I'll watch it stream on the web.

Plus, since I'm a huge NFL fan, that is the only place you can get the Sunday ticket up through 2014.

We may not like this one glitch, but it won't make or break my decision to stick with DirecTV.

How many games on VS are we really talking about?

Power of the complaining consumer, just let them know how pissed you are.

Edited by MadMan Mark

BULLs***

Switch to WOW Cable and Internet, http://www.wowway.com if it is available in your area.

I've been a WOW customer for years, and I was a Comcast customer before that. WOW won't bait and switch you with fancy offers that only last for 3 months or something stupid like that.

I have 2 mbps Internet (which is more than enough for my household), television service throughout the whole house into cable ready TV's, one digital reciever, and one HD-DVR reciever and I only pay about 80 dollars a month, and that's not a promotional rate. WOW also has excellent customer service. I also cannot recall a service interruption in the last year (although they did have issues a couple years ago, but it was limited and has since been resolved).

The only bummer about WOW is that they don't have Versus in HD, but they do have it in their Digital lineup in Michigan on channel 306. They have NBC and FSD in HD, so you can watch nearly all Wings games in HD (minus the FSD ones where they don't have HD because of the tigers, pistons or for certain away games).

Edited by Holmstrom96

Here's the letter I sent in case anyone wants to plagiarize!!! :)

It's important we all let them know how we feel!

DirecTV,

I was shocked and angered to read that DirecTV may be dropping Versus from its channel lineup.

As one of the main attractions to choosing DirecTV over DISH, Fiber-Optic cable and the two regular cable companies operating in my area was the availability of Versus on HD.

I currently am very happy with my DirecTV service, but as a huge fan of the NHL this would seriously affect my desire to remain a customer.

DirecTV states in its news bulletin on this topic (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P6220002) that this is not a cost saving complaint, and is about getting treated fairly.

I strongly hope and encourage a positive resolution with Versus, as I can assure you that should DirecTV not retain Versus that I will be seeking the same fairness as a consumer when it comes to finding a provider that can offer complete coverage of the NHL.

Sincerely,

X

Switch to WOW Cable and Internet, http://www.wowway.com if it is available in your area.

I've been a WOW customer for years, and I was a Comcast customer before that. WOW won't bait and switch you with fancy offers that only last for 3 months or something stupid like that.

I have 2 mbps Internet (which is more than enough for my household), television service throughout the whole house into cable ready TV's, one digital reciever, and one HD-DVR reciever and I only pay about 80 dollars a month, and that's not a promotional rate. WOW also has excellent customer service. I also cannot recall a service interruption in the last year (although they did have issues a couple years ago, but it was limited and has since been resolved).

The only bummer about WOW is that they don't have Versus in HD, but they do have it in their Digital lineup in Michigan on channel 306. They have NBC and FSD in HD, so you can watch nearly all Wings games in HD (minus the FSD ones where they don't have HD because of the tigers, pistons or for certain away games).

The only word of caution I have for WOW is that, as of last year, Centre Ice is not available. I was a WOW customer for years and had to move to Comcast.