• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Top 20 players

Rate this topic

okay, voting is closed at a pitiful 17 votes.

Parise came in first with 6 votes, or 35.29%

Thornton came in second with 5 votes, or 29.41%

Chara came in third with 4 votes, or 23.53%

Nabokov and Broduer came in fourth with one vote each (5.88%).

And now that everyone has had a break from voting for about a week, lets get back on the bandwagon and vote like crazy for the 12th spot!!

Chara

I think this list has a definite Detroit bias. There is no way, as much as I love him, that Zetterberg is the 6th best player in the NHL.

That being said...I will vote for...Big Joe Thornton.

I just think Getzlaf is more dominant player. Don't know any areas where he's much behind Zetterberg and his size gives huge advantage.

He's way behind Zetterberg defensively, and a bit behind him offensively.

I'd give Getzlaf an edge in size and fighting though :)

Well, of course I hope Z will be the better one. I don't want to argue about these kinda things. We'll see how this season goes, hopefully Z proves me wrong. I'm still a Red Wings fan.

Getzlaf isn't as defensive minded, but he likewise hasn't been given the same defensive opporunities in his team's system. Who knows, he might be a master and nobody really knows it. (He sure played opposing top lines well in the playoffs.)

But I can give no edge to Getzlaf in fighting. No way. Props to him for being willing, but the guy just flat-out can't do much more than make sure he doesn't get whupped. He's no Iginla in that regard.

I think this list has a definite Detroit bias. There is no way, as much as I love him, that Zetterberg is the 6th best player in the NHL.

That being said...I will vote for...Big Joe Thornton.

Well, let's look at it this way. Zetterberg plays in the Central Division, so let's take a look at the top two forwards of the other five divisions:

Pacific: Ryan Getzlaf, Joe Thornton

Northwest: Jarome Iginla, Martin Havlat

Atlantic: Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby

Northeast: Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza

Southeast: Alexander Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk

Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, are the only players in that list who could be argued as good or better than Zetterberg given overall performance and ability. Iginla, Getzlaf, Kovalchuk and Thornton all could be argued as top-ten or top-fifteen players in the league.

Datsyuk is the only forward in the Central Division who could be argued at or above Z's level.

So that would place Z, at very worst, as the fifth-best forward in the league. Then you have to consider defensemen. Lidstrom, Chara, Niedermayer are the three names that come to mind for most people. Lidstrom is the only one who would be considered a top-five player by most people, if anyone were to rank a defenseman in that group. Chara and Niedermayer might get looks as top-ten players.

And finally, goaltenders. Martin Brodeur and Roberto Luongo are the only ones with a real shot at cracking the top ten and a long shot at the top five.

So what we're looking at is Zetterberg among the top five forwards, probably making the top ten players in the league, with a very good shot at placing higher than tenth.