• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Top 20 players

Rate this topic

When has Getzlaf had to carry an entire team offensively without much help around him?

Pretty much all last season. Iginla had far more help than Getzlaf did. (Bobby Ryan came on board in Anaheim late and didn't play with Getzlaf until the last third of the season.)

Getzlaf was Anaheim's fortunes. I don't feel the same way with Iginla, even though I put him above Getz too.

He's no doubt a more complete player at this moment, but I think Getz will be better real soon.

Oh, and Getzlaf is my vote now, unless he's finally up there.

Edited by kidish

Pretty much all last season. Iginla had far more help than Getzlaf did. (Bobby Ryan came on board in Anaheim late and didn't play with Getzlaf until the last third of the season.)

Getzlaf was Anaheim's fortunes. I don't feel the same way with Iginla, even though I put him above Getz too.

He's no doubt a more complete player at this moment, but I think Getz will be better real soon.

Oh, and Getzlaf is my vote now, unless he's finally up there.

You're forgetting Corey Perry and Selanne. Also Niedermayer and Pronger. Getzlaf didn't really have to carry them offensively. He was their best offensive player, but there was other help there.

Iginla is by far Calgary's best offensive player in my opinion. Cammaleri and Langkow scored points also, but they're not in his class as players.

My vote goes to Luongo. egroen will be pleased. :D

I'm a little surprised no one has mention Thornton, Chara or Lecavalier yet.

It would be a bit weird to not have a single goalie in the top 10, considering how important they are.

Specific order is tough, and I typically group them in tiers (not listed in any order):

Tier 1

Ovechkin

Lidstrom

Crosby

Malkin

Datsyuk

Tier 2

Luongo

Chara

Lundqvist

Iginla

Thornton

Getzlaf

Zetterberg

Brodeur

Parise

Kovalchuk

Crosby was shut down in the Finals because our team's entire focus was on him and on no one else. That's why the other Pens players beat us.

As an overall playoff performance, he was better than any of our forwards, especially Datsyuk. He and Datsyuk have a similar amount of career playoff points, however, Crosby has played half as many games to reach that mark, with much higher expectations than what Datsyuk has had.

Our defensive strategy against Crosby's line was no different than it was last year, and no different than what we did against Nashville, Dallas, Columbus, Anaheim, and Chicago the past two years, and no different than the typical strategy of pretty much every team in the league: Top defense pair and best defensive forward unit vs opponant's top scoring unit.

It's not like Kronwall & Stuart are poor defensively, nor Flip & Hossa. You act like we had 5 guys playing Crosby while ignoring the rest of the team. He may have been better than Datsyuk who missed 4 games (yet still scored only 1 less point), but Zetterberg was better, as was Cleary. Flip, Franzen, Hossa, and even Helm were close even. Doesn't mean any of them are better players, just that Cindy had a s***ty finals.

It would be a bit weird to not have a single goalie in the top 10, considering how important they are.

Specific order is tough, and I typically group them in tiers (not listed in any order):

Tier 1

Ovechkin

Lidstrom

Crosby

Malkin

Datsyuk

Tier 2

Luongo

Chara

Lundqvist

Iginla

Thornton

Getzlaf

Zetterberg

Brodeur

Parise

Kovalchuk

It seems like we're in a wierd point in time for the NHL. You could argue Luongo should be top 10, but with Brodeur not as dominant as before and the next group coming up not quite established yet we've got a vaccuum of top flight goalies right now. On the flip side we're seeing some of the best forwards the game as seen in a while IMO.

Tier 1

Ovechkin

Lidstrom

Crosby

Malkin

Datsyuk

Tier 2

Luongo

Chara

Lundqvist

Iginla

Thornton

Getzlaf

Zetterberg

Brodeur

Parise

Kovalchuk

I could not agree more with the tiering systems or with your choices, we are absolutely on the same page

You're forgetting Corey Perry and Selanne. Also Niedermayer and Pronger. Getzlaf didn't really have to carry them offensively. He was their best offensive player, but there was other help there.

Iginla is by far Calgary's best offensive player in my opinion. Cammaleri and Langkow scored points also, but they're not in his class as players.

Iginla IS Calgary's best offensive player, no doubt there. Conversely, Getzlaf is Anaheim's best offensive player too. Even more so than what I've watched of Calgary, the entire Anaheim offense runs through Getzlaf.

I discount Corey Perry as a viable threat, since his entire career has been spent getting feeds from Getzlaf. Getz even made someone like Kunitz a contributor, so again I see this as Getz's skill and not Perry's.

Selanne only played with Getzlaf on the power play -- and no doubt, he was a finisher there. But he was completely useless in every situation for them the rest of the year.

Pronger's offense was terrible the past two seasons.

Now I'll give you Niedermayer. But if we start throwing in defenses and goalies, then you can't exactly say Iginla is sitting alone either.

Iginla IS Calgary's best offensive player, no doubt there. Conversely, Getzlaf is Anaheim's best offensive player too. Even more so than what I've watched of Calgary, the entire Anaheim offense runs through Getzlaf.

I discount Corey Perry as a viable threat, since his entire career has been spent getting feeds from Getzlaf. Getz even made someone like Kunitz a contributor, so again I see this as Getz's skill and not Perry's.

Selanne only played with Getzlaf on the power play -- and no doubt, he was a finisher there. But he was completely useless in every situation for them the rest of the year.

Pronger's offense was terrible the past two seasons.

Now I'll give you Niedermayer. But if we start throwing in defenses and goalies, then you can't exactly say Iginla is sitting alone either.

Perry and Ryan are both good forwards, and Getzlaf wouldn't be the same without those 2 players. You can't discount those players so easily. He makes that line go, but they're not just supporting actors by any means. Also, Pronger was still an offensive force, especially on the PP with that rocket shot. Also, Calgary's defense is terrible offensively, other than Phaneuf, who didn't have a great year.

I just don't see Getzlaf as having any huge advantages over Iginla, except youth and passing ability. In every other area, I'd take Iginla.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Tier 1

Ovechkin

Lidstrom

Crosby

Malkin

Datsyuk

Tier 2

Luongo

Chara

Lundqvist

Iginla

Thornton

Getzlaf

Zetterberg

Brodeur

Parise

Kovalchuk

So are you saying that Lecavalier and St. Louis are 3rd tier players because of one so-so season where they still put up good numbers?

I mean 2 years ago, Lecavalier was a Hart candidate and led the league in goals. I don't think he's dropped off the face of the earth that quickly.

So are you saying that Lecavalier and St. Louis are 3rd tier players because of one so-so season where they still put up good numbers?

I mean 2 years ago, Lecavalier was a Hart candidate and led the league in goals. I don't think he's dropped off the face of the earth that quickly.

You're right... I completely forgot about those two, and would definitely put them in Tier 2.

St. Louis especially, is underrated -- he has a great two-way game.

Getzlaf

St Louis, Lecavalier, Nash, Carter, Mike Richards, and Mike Green imo would be Tier 2 players

Nash, Carter, Richards, Green, Neidermayer, Pronger, Heatley, E. Staal, Keith, Spezza, Alfredsson, Hossa, Gaborik and a fair amount more would be in my Tier 3.

Edited by egroen

Tier 1

Ovechkin

Lidstrom

Crosby

Malkin

Datsyuk

Tier 2

Luongo

Chara

Lundqvist

Iginla

Thornton

Getzlaf

Zetterberg

Brodeur

Parise

Kovalchuk

I would rank them probably (in alphabetical order):

Tier 1

Sidney Crosby, Pit

Pavel Datsyuk, Det

Nicklas Lidstrom, Det

Evgeni Malkin, Pit

Alexander Ovechkin, Wsh

Henrik Zetterberg, Det

Tier 2

Daniel Alfredsson, Otw

Niklas Backstrom, Min

Martin Brodeur, NJ

Zdeno Chara, Bos

Ryan Getzlaf, Ana

Marian Hossa, Chi

Jarome Iginla, Cgy

Duncan Keith, Chi

Ilya Kovalchuk, Atl

Henrik Lundqvist, NYR

Scott Niedermayer, Ana

Zach Parise, NJ

Joe Thornton, SJ

Shea Weber, Nsh

I reserve the right to change this list.

Tier 1

Sidney Crosby, Pit

Pavel Datsyuk, Det

Nicklas Lidstrom, Det

Evgeni Malkin, Pit

Alexander Ovechkin, Wsh

Henrik Zetterberg, Det

Tier 2

Daniel Alfredsson, Otw

Niklas Backstrom, Min

Martin Brodeur, NJ

Zdeno Chara, Bos

Ryan Getzlaf, Ana

Marian Hossa, Chi

Jarome Iginla, Cgy

Duncan Keith, Chi

Ilya Kovalchuk, Atl

Henrik Lundqvist, NYR

Scott Niedermayer, Ana

Zach Parise, NJ

Joe Thornton, SJ

Shea Weber, Nsh

I don't know, but Heatley deserves to be there... Don't know if you forgot him, but the dude is elite.

Tier 1

Sidney Crosby, Pit

Pavel Datsyuk, Det

Nicklas Lidstrom, Det

Evgeni Malkin, Pit

Alexander Ovechkin, Wsh

Henrik Zetterberg, Det

Tier 2

Daniel Alfredsson, Otw

Niklas Backstrom, Min

Martin Brodeur, NJ

Zdeno Chara, Bos

Ryan Getzlaf, Ana

Marian Hossa, Chi

Jarome Iginla, Cgy

Duncan Keith, Chi

Ilya Kovalchuk, Atl

Henrik Lundqvist, NYR

Scott Niedermayer, Ana

Zach Parise, NJ

Joe Thornton, SJ

Shea Weber, Nsh

Shea Weber and Duncan Keith 2nd tier? I'm sorry but Spezza, Heatley, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Kane, Toews, Phaneuf,Willie Mitchell, Ohlund, Staal, Nash, and Gaborik all deserve spots ahead of those two guys!

Edited by StevieY'sguy

Shea Weber and Duncan Keith 2nd tier? I'm sorry but Spezza, Heatley, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Kane, Toews, Phaneuf,Willie Mitchell, Ohlund, Staal, Nash, and Gaborik all deserve spots ahead of those two guys!

Yikes, didn't even notice those players not being there either (Ohlund and Mitchell not so much).