• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stuck in socal

Leino Watch Thread!

Rate this topic

Leino's blindly thrown pass is the reason Zetterberg got injured (although Zetterberg is also to blame for reaching). Other than that, Leino is looking a little bit better each game. He needs to stop forcing things, and sometimes just make the simple play.

I think now he knows what he has to do now in order to play. It's just that it's going to take some time for him to do those things on a game by game basis.

“I thought he won some battles,†Babcock said of Leino, who had been benched the previous two games. “Sometimes young players get confused. When I talked to Ville today about why he wasn’t playing, he said, ‘Well because I’m not scoring.’ That’s got nothing to do with it. It has to do with battle level. … If you do all the little things, the rest of it looks after itself.â€

Anyone miss Hudler yet?

Per LGW, Leino was supposed to be a bigger, stronger, faster version of Hudler who produced the same offense; it turns out he is slower, and much weaker on the puck. Not to mention that he simply isn't even close to Hudler's skill.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I think he'll perk up with Filppula back in the roster (when he returns), but that's just me.

It's not an excuse either, as he needs to be able to adapt.

I think Leino set himself up for disappointment with his exceptional play last season in the few games he played (much like Ericsson). He is an undrafted rookie who has been given a larger role on the team than he is probably ready for because of injuries.

Personally, I have been happy with his play thus far. He payed his dues in the AHL (unlike some) and works his ass off on the ice. People need to expect there will be some growing pains with him. All in all I respect the hell out of the guy and wish nothing but the best for him. :thumbup:

Leino's blindly thrown pass is the reason Zetterberg got injured (although Zetterberg is also to blame for reaching). Other than that, Leino is looking a little bit better each game. He needs to stop forcing things, and sometimes just make the simple play.

There are a million inaccurate passes in any hockey game. Hank has to look out for Hank, he's no one to blame but himself for what happened. Having said that, it happens to the best of them; in this unfortunate instance it resulted in injury.

Anyone miss Hudler yet?

Per LGW, Leino was supposed to be a bigger, stronger, faster version of Hudler who produced the same offense; it turns out he is slower, and much weaker on the puck. Not to mention that he simply isn't even close to Hudler's skill.

Not everyone on LGW compared him to Hudler.

Ville was not very good at all last night. I thought he played pretty well against PHO, but last night he was just bad.

I hope he pulls out of this. Unfortunately for him, I believe his in Babcocks dog-house and patience wearing thin. When we start to get healthy, I'm not so sure that he may be scratched/traded (if possible). When he plays with confidence, he's got huge potential. Let's go Ville!

He has zero confidence. Started off playing pretty damn lights-out with Filppula to start the season, just wasn't getting the bounces and the points to show for it. Then as soon as Val got injured his confidence was shot, doesn't even look like the player he was last season or starting this one. He needs a shot in the arm big time. I think Filppula's return is gonna give this team a serious boost.

Leino , Filppula and Williams were looking good - but with 2/3 of that line gone Leino has just looked lost.

Hopefully it serves as a good, early lesson - be adaptable and don't get too dependant on your linemates, as they are ever-changing in the NHL.

He has zero confidence. Started off playing pretty damn lights-out with Filppula to start the season, just wasn't getting the bounces and the points to show for it. Then as soon as Val got injured his confidence was shot, doesn't even look like the player he was last season or starting this one. He needs a shot in the arm big time. I think Filppula's return is gonna give this team a serious boost.
This. We know every offensive player wants to get points. Even if you're playing well, guys like Leino just need those points. It's a whole different when talking about guys like Miller and Eaves. To be good offensively is harder. Edited by Finnish Wing

This. We know every offensive player wants to get points. Even if you're playing well, guys like Leino just need those points. It's a whole different when talking about guys like Miller and Eaves. To be good offensively is harder.

He definitely needs those points for his confidence but when you only think about the points you start cheating at the little things and that doesn't do you nor the team any good. I think that's something he needs to get his head around.

He definitely needs those points for his confidence but when you only think about the points you start cheating at the little things and that doesn't do you nor the team any good. I think that's something he needs to get his head around.
I don't think he cheats. I think he just thinks too much of what he does. He's never been that good defensively, but that doesn't mean that he's not trying.

I don't think he cheats. I think he just thinks too much of what he does. He's never been that good defensively, but that doesn't mean that he's not trying.

Babcock doesn't think he battles hard enough on a consistent basis. That's what he needs to do and the points will come. For sure at this point he's also squeezing his stick too hard.

I thought Leino looked GREAT last night. Protected the puck well along the boards, had a couple of nice plays that if he had a bit of luck or more patience could have ended up as goals. Still loses the puck too easily at times, but showing improvement for sure.

Leino is not good enough for a top6 spot and sucks defensively. He could use an extra year in AHL.

I unfortunately agree about the top 6 part, but if he went away and came back stronger and faster that could change [add that to my Xmas list]. The AHL won't do him much good between the ears though. It apparently has already taught him a few bad habits. He needs every single tough lesson he is getting in the big league right now. It's sink-or-swim time. I hope he swims! [token optimism to keep in line with the thread :lookaround: ]

I thought Leino looked GREAT last night. Protected the puck well along the boards, had a couple of nice plays that if he had a bit of luck or more patience could have ended up as goals. Still loses the puck too easily at times, but showing improvement for sure.

He has looked better, but incidents like his hooking call after fumbling the pass don't help.

Edited by kook_10