• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StevieY'sguy

Olympic Predictions

Rate this topic

With the Olympics coming up in about a week I figured I'd see how everybody thought this would all play out. I'm an American first and foremost but since i believe the only shot the U.S. has is if Ryan Miller puts on one of the most remarkable stints of goaltending in the history of hockey (which i don't think will happen) I find it hard not to root for Canada...Coached by Babcock, put together by my favorite hockey player of all time in Stevie Y, with some help from Kenny Holland and led by my favorite (and many of your least favorite) current player in Crosby... short of the U.S. making a run I will be hopping on the big red leaf's bandwagon for much of February.

Gold Medal Game: Canada vs. Sweden winner: Canada

Bronze Medal: Russia vs. USA winner: Russia

There's a lot of buzz going around about Russia but to be honest I forsee another Olympic letdown, they have a suspect defense behind Markov and Gonchar and a lack of true leadership i think will hold back their myriad of offensive talent...The Swede's have a lot of returning gold medal experience and i think when he's on Lundqvist may be the best goalie in the world. As far as Canada goes I really don't see how they could possibly lose, top to bottom they have the best offensive, defensive and goaltender units in the games. They also have a remarkable amount of high leadership guys, of the 23 players on their roster (including goalies) they have 9 NHL captains and 8 NHL alternate captains (not including Marleau who has previously worn the "C"), a stat that is amazing to me...It's almost like the team was put together by the greatest captain in the history of team sports..oh, wait they were! Also, although i didn't pick them to make it into a medal game i look for Finland to be a big sleeper team.

I was going to go with Russia before the tournament, but they made a mistake leaving Zubov, Kovalev and Zherdev off the team imo.

I think Canada has a better team on paper and will probably wind up winning the Gold.

Gold - Canada

Silver- Russia

Bronze - Sweden

Guest Lidstromboli

i also predict that Russia will send this guy in as Ovechkin and nobody will notice the difference

rkcolor.jpg

Edited by Lidstromboli

G Russia

S Canada

B Sweden

I really want to see Ovie strip Crosby and score for the GWG.

If it wasn't for the fact that i would hate to see the Wings lose and I'd hate even more for anything good to happen to Ovie I'd like to see how many Wings fan who hate Crosby but are so enamored with Ovie would still feel that way if Washington beat Detroit in the Finals 2 or 3 times over the next decade....something tells me his flashy moves and confident (arrogant) personality and antics wouldn't strike such a chord with Wings fans if something like that happend...at least Crosby doesn't act like a 6 year old...

I have to say that my money is on Russia...despite what some of the posters here are saying about leaving off certain parties (and I also don't like the addition of Fedorov, but that's a personal thing), I think Russia is gonna be a tough bunch of cookies to try and crumble.

Gold - Russia

Silver - Sweden

Bronze - Canada

I'd be curious to see the riots all over Canada when it's a Sweden-Russia final :hehe:

you're not far wrong. We could set national records for medals won, but if we lose the MENS hockey final ... yeeesh, it is going to suck. Olympics a bust. I guess thats what we get for really only caring about 1 sport.

It is interesting looking at everyone elses predictions ... everyone so far as the same top 4. No upsets this time around then?

First, Im Canadian and a lot of ppl dislike it but I don't particularly want Canada to win. Truth be told, the only reason I'll be cheering for Canada (a little anyway) is because of Yzerman, Babcock and Holland. Most Canadians are so arrogant when it comes to hockey and the Canadian Media is so ridiculous. If Canada were to lose there'll be all kinds of summits and investigations and accusations into the Canadian Hockey Development system and what went wrong. Everything about hockey is so blown up and out of proportion in Canada. Heaven forbid Canada win and for the next four years we'll have to listen to Pierre McGuire and co. blab on and on and on about how glorious a hockey nation Canada is. I'm Canadian and for the most part I don't think this country is too arrogant but when it comes to hockey it's flat out embarrassing at times.

That being said, what I want:

G:Russia

S:Sweden

B:Canada

4:USA

What I think will happen:

G:Sweden

S:Canada

B:Russia

4:USA

I think Canada/Sweden/Russia on paper are just so far above everyone else. However, I think USA will be very much in contention for the gold in 2014. Right now Sweden just looks sick with the Sedins, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Holmstrom, Backstrom, Eriksson, Lidstrom, Kronwall etc.

Even without Franzen they look dirty. Plus, Mattias Weinhandl should be in the NHL. He's sick

Edited by mmamolo