• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:10 AM

Now that Lilija has been back for a fair amount of time, what is your inital reaction to his play, and in your opinion how much has he helped the Wings?

I personally have been suprised with how good he has looked out there. While I know in the previous few seasons he had made good strides to become a legit PKer and top 6 d-man, I honestly thought my memory was overating him due to nostaliga and how horrible Ericsson and Lebda had been lately, but this seems to not be the case. Other than that, its nice to have a reliable stay at home defensemen who I don't have to worry about pinching at the wrong time.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:37 AM

Lebda has been average, as usual. Ericsson has been horrible.

#3 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:09 AM

Lilja has been great so far. Him and Lebda played great together last game, hopefully it keeps up!

Posted Image

#4 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:11 AM

Besides Helm's great game. Lilja-Lebda was the biggest thing I took out of the Nashville game. They were very solid, I'm not sure on the stats but nothing stood out to me which is great.

It's going to be interesting to see the impact of Lilja's return has on Ericsson.

Either way it should help us in the end.

#5 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:31 AM

Do we resign him after this year, then? I vote yes, at a similar to reduced salary.

#6 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

Been average/all right, jitters and stuff some, to be expected after being out of the NHL for over a year.

Unless he just falls off the map I don't see any reason why he isn't in the lineup every night. Just figure out who his partner is consistnetly. Just in general I'd pick Ericsson over Lebda more often than not b/c I think Ericsson has more potetenial to reach, but Lilja and Lebda has worked out, for the most part overall, in the past as a respectable 3rd pairing.

#7 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

I think he has been very, very good considering he's been away for such a long time. Most of the time you don't notice him out there, and that's a good thing. He keeps it simple and doesn't pinch in time and again like certain other players.

Ericsson should take a long hard look at the way Lilja plays.

#8 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

Didn't he have an assist in his second game back? That's a pretty good pace if you ask me. :) I think he's been great, and I'm so glad he's back.
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#9 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

Didn't he have an assist in his second game back? That's a pretty good pace if you ask me. :) I think he's been great, and I'm so glad he's back.

Yup, he did. And any time I've heard his name out there, it's been something GOOD.

"Lilja clears the puck!"
"Lilja with the blocked shot!"

And so on. I haven't seen any grievous turnovers committed by him, just a lot of hard working, solid defense. It's good to have him back.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#10 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

He's playing it safe and it definitely is working for him.

Edited by zettie85, 07 March 2010 - 10:52 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#11 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

Lilja has played some very strong defense for us so far. The reason Lebda is good with Lilja is because Lebda is very offensive minded. When Lebda does his Paul Coffey impression we have someone on the blue line covering for him. Ericsson was just trying to get mixed up in the offense when Lebda did that, and it rarely resulted in anything good.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:24 AM

He's brought some sex appeal and cool back to this team.

We need him for the blocked shots especially. We're the worst team in the league at blocking shots.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 07 March 2010 - 11:24 AM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

He's brought some sex appeal and cool back to this team.

We need him for the blocked shots especially. We're the worst team in the league at blocking shots.

Whoa whoa whoa GMR, i thought the only reason we brought him back WAS for the sex appeal to raise attendance so people would quit b*tching about our attendance figures.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Lilja looks impressive so far; looks as though he hasn't missed a beat.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#15 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Lilja had a strong game today. It sure sucks that he isn't as physical anymore, today when he had Byfuglien in his face all I could think of was how last year he probably would've dropped him :(

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#16 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:58 PM

Do we resign him after this year, then? I vote yes, at a similar to reduced salary.

If Lilja continues to play like he is for the remainder of the season, and into the playoffs - then absolutely!

#17 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

He's noticeably more physical than any other player on the team by a wide margin, has made smart and simple plays and has made Brett Lebda look much better in the process. Lilja has been everything we've been missing with Ericsson.

#18 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

He's noticeably more physical than any other player on the team by a wide margin, has made smart and simple plays and has made Brett Lebda look much better in the process. Lilja has been everything we've been missing with Ericsson.

I know - he's instantly better than Ericsson/Lebda/Meech...For a guy nearing his mid 30's - he's looking like now he hitting his prime...Kinda strange really, but hell I'll take it!

#19 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:19 AM

Oh I remember the times everyone hated Lilja ... Specially after he coughed up the puck to Selanee. After that year his got his mojo going.

#20 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:23 AM

I thought he's been slow, I guess I should temper my opinion of last years Lils. But anything is better then how Ericsson was playing, Lebda actually hasn't been bad the last few games he did good day
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s