• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'm not sure I like the idea of keeping Bert over Homer.

I don't think most of us are... but I really think Holmstrom is gonna hang them up after this year... the toll on his body has been brutal, if he's still playing, replace Bert with Holmstrom in that scenario...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

agreed.

my projected roster for next year:
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)
Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.800m)
Mattias Ritola ($0.600m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($3.450m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Andreas Lilja ($1.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Jimmy Howard ($0.717m) / Chris Osgood ($1.417m)

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $53.663m; CAP ROOM: $3.137m BONUSES: $0.000m

Just when I thought this team couldnt get any softer...

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#23 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

I didn't say that was my ideal roster, that's just what I think it WILL be...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

Let me get this straight: we disparaged his attitude and commitment when he left the Wings to go to the KHL, and now we're begging to have him back when he throws a hissy-fit and wants to leave the team that is paying him $5m/year tax-free?

#25 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

54 19 35 54

PPG and 8th in scoring in the KHL sucks now? I'm no Hudler slappy, but that dog don't hunt.

82games, 23 goals, 34assists last year in NHL

54 games, 19 goals, 35 assists in the KHL... yeah that does suck.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#26 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

I'm sure Hudler would put up good numbers in the AHL too. Actually I envision him being worse if he come back than when he left due to the slower play there.

Hudler obviously doesn't have an "out-clause" in his contract, the GM wouldn't be complaining if he didn't. I think it would be hysterical if Hudler disregards his contract TWICE, once here and once in the NHL.

I won't mind having Hudler back but if we don't have a definitive answer July 1st then I hope we move on. It was bad enough his stupid actions handcuffed Kenny last summer and I don't want it to happen again.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#27 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

This team doesn't get tougher, but I don't think this team gets softer either.

Replacing noodle-boy Williams with Abby vs replacing Homer with Hudler is pretty much a wash.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#28 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

I'm sure Hudler would put up good numbers in the AHL too. Actually I envision him being worse if he come back than when he left due to the slower play there.

Hudler obviously doesn't have an "out-clause" in his contract, the GM wouldn't be complaining if he didn't. I think it would be hysterical if Hudler disregards his contract TWICE, once here and once in the NHL.

I won't mind having Hudler back but if we don't have a definitive answer July 1st then I hope we move on. It was bad enough his stupid actions handcuffed Kenny last summer and I don't want it to happen again.

Agreed... if he is coming back, it HAS to be by July 1st... also, I was pretty sure that he had an out clause... could be wrong...

This team doesn't get tougher, but I don't think this team gets softer either.

Replacing noodle-boy Williams with Abby vs replacing Homer with Hudler is pretty much a wash.

as far as pure toughness, replacing Holmer with Abs and Williams with Hudler is a better comparison - but basically same point, still pretty much a wash.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#29 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

I stopped reading after the bolded part. I think it's hilarious that you assume because your ecstatic about Hudler's POTENTIAL return that everyone else will be. I'm not at all happy about the Red Wings being forced to take back a player who sucked this year (and wasn't amazing before) regardless of who it is.

Not like this post isn't something you haven't posted 5 times before whining about wanting Hudler back.

You don't think Wings fans would rather have Hudler than Williams? Because that's basically what it comes down to.

If Maltby and Holmstrom retire, we're basically looking at replacing Williams, Homer, and Maltby with Hudler, Abdelkader,
and a guy like Ritola, McGrath, or Oulahen,. Tell me how Wings fans would be unhappy with that change.

And "wasn't amazing before" is arguable given the fact that Hudler's 08-09 stats, not even factoring in ice time, tied for 73rd among all forwards in points, tied for 70th in goals, and tied for 60th in assists. Most players who put up similar kinds of numbers are generally worse than Hudler defensively if not far worse, and generally no better physically.

So what exactly about Hudler wasn't amazing?

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#30 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

Why are people assuming Holmstrom will retire?

There was an article a couple of weeks ago implying that he would probably be re-signed.

http://www.detnews.c...0433/1128/rss16

Or has something changed since?

As for Hudler, yes please. Williams gone hopefully. I reckon Bert, Homer, Lids, Miller, Eaves, Helm, Abs, Lilja, Kindl will all be with the Wings next year. Possibly with 1m cap space.

Edited by Green Wing, 31 March 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#31 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

Why are people assuming Holmstrom will retire?

There was an article a couple of weeks ago implying that he would probably be re-signed.

http://www.detnews.c...0433/1128/rss16

Or has something changed since?

As for Hudler, yes please. Williams gone hopefully. I reckon Bert, Homer, Lids, Miller, Eaves, Helm, Abs, Lilja, Kindl will all be with the Wings next year. Possibly with 1m cap space.

Story just said they were in talks... until it's finalized, I wonder how serious it is... his body takes an absolute BEATING... I hope I'm wrong to be honest, I'd love for him to be back next year

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#32 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

82games, 23 goals, 34assists last year in NHL

54 games, 19 goals, 35 assists in the KHL... yeah that does suck.

So he sucks in the KHL... Seeing as though he was 8th in the league in scoring, who doesn't suck there? Top 3? Top 5? His pts per game went up 44%. What do you think he should have done to not suck?

works every time

#33 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

Hudler scored 97 points in 76 games in the AHL. That projects to 105 had he played the other 6. Yeah, he'd put up good numbers. His 61 assists are a club record, and had he played the full 82 he would have the points record also. If Hudler were to play in the AHL he would score probably 60-70 goals and 100 assists, and if he spent additional seasons there he would blow out Michel Picard's career scoring records.

Yeah, I know you aren't interested in having an offensive whiz who is an excellent playmaker with very good finishing skills and if played on the top two lines will almost certainly be a point-per-game player, and having him signed for two seasons at a cap hit under $3 million. What a terrible thing to happen to the Wings. The only thing worse would be trading Holmstrom to Tampa for Stamkos, and Tollefson to Edmonton for their #1 pick. I mean, those things would be horrible moves for the Wings.

So he sucks in the KHL... Seeing as though he was 8th in the league in scoring, who doesn't suck there? Top 3? Top 5? His pts per game went up 44%. What do you think he should have done to not suck?

Outperformed talents who would still be first-liners in the NHL like Jagr and Fedorov...

Oh wait, NM.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#34 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

Right, because I said him coming back would be a bad thing. :rolleyes:

It would be a bad thing if we don't know whether or not he's coming back by July 1st because it would mean Kenny probably wouldn't do anything in the free agency and we wouldn't be able to get who we wanted.

#35 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Hopefully Hudler comes back so we can trade him for a good North American player that actually shows heart.

#36 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

I'm not sure I like the idea of keeping Bert over Homer.

I wouldn't do it.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#37 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Hopefully Hudler comes back so we can trade him for a good North American player that actually shows heart.

Like Sid the Kid!

#38 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

Carman, you are my Sidney Crosby

Posted Image

#39 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

You think we could trade him for the player that which we don't speak of? =) I would take that trade=)
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#40 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

Outperformed talents who would still be first-liners in the NHL like Jagr and Fedorov...

Oh wait, NM.

Not outperforming talents like these: http://www.nhl.com/i...avid=nhl-search

You think we could trade him for the player that which we don't speak of? =) I would take that trade=)

If Hudler was given Crosby's body, Hudler would be twice the player Crosby is.