• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
blues_demitra38

Bertuzzi Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

A lot of people have abused Todd for his lack of intensity and physical play so this thread is aimed to appreciate the man who "calls the goalie Suzy."

In Game 2, Bertuzzi's willingness to take a hit to make a play led to Filppula's first goal, his instinct to throw the puck on net as Zetterberg was crashing it let to Z's second goal and him going to the front of the net to give Bryzgalov and the Coyote d-men all they can handle led to Filppula's second goal.

He ended the night with two points but played a key role in three of the seven goals scored in Game 2. While he may not be big, bad Bert from his Vancouver heyday he has shown that he will certainly a play a big role on this team if they are to make a Stanley Cup run with his good hands and hockey IQ.

Edited by blues_demitra38

He has played better this season than anyone expected, but many of us are frustrated that he doesn't use his body more often and goes for stretches where he seems to be floating out there.

The key with him is consistency and being a physical presence. He doesn't always give us those things, and we ask for them because he's bigger than any other forward that we have.

I know his skill set has dropped off, but I remember in Vancouver he was known for crushing the opposition with Lindros-like forechechecking. I can't remember him crushing anyone this season with a hit.

People always bring up the Moore incident, but I don't see what that has to do with him not being as physical anymore. There's certainly a fine line between playing physical and doing what he did to Moore.

I'm glad that he's scoring, but he's got the size that none of our other forwards have, and I want to see him uze it, because that would make us a harder team to play against.

People always bring up the Moore incident, but I don't see what that has to do with him not being as physical anymore. There's certainly a fine line between playing physical and doing what he did to Moore.

Me neither, but the likely culprit is that he has a bad back. Injury concerns was part of the reason the Wings got him on the cheap, but fortune seems to favor him this season seeing as he's played every game.

In fairness to him, he probably doesn't wanna go anywhere near that road again (cheap shots, dirty hits, etc.). Think about all the physical players in today's game (Ovechkin, Downie, etc.) that have injured someone because of their physical play. A player turning into the boards too soon or looking the wrong way will open a new can of worms I'm sure he wants no part of. The fact that he's changed his game since the Moore Incident is no coincidence, he's a man who's built a reputation and is slowly trying to clear his name. So far, I think he's done a good job of that. But to say he's ineffective is not only unfair but downright false. The Wings brass knew they weren't signing Betuzzi circa '03 but that doesn't mean he's not a valuable asset.

He has played better this season than anyone expected, but many of us are frustrated that he doesn't use his body more often and goes for stretches where he seems to be floating out there.

The key with him is consistency and being a physical presence. He doesn't always give us those things, and we ask for them because he's bigger than any other forward that we have.

I know his skill set has dropped off, but I remember in Vancouver he was known for crushing the opposition with Lindros-like forechechecking. I can't remember him crushing anyone this season with a hit.

I'm glad that he's scoring, but he's got the size that none of our other forwards have, and I want to see him uze it, because that would make us a harder team to play against.

Completely agree with you I do. He used to be a mean SOB in the corners, on the forecheck and along the boards. Now it seems like he's afraid to really HIT anyone, I'm not sure if he's worried about getting injured or if his balls fell off or what, but it would be nice to see him crush a few people with that 240lb frame of his. His skating definitely has taken a step back from his Vancouver days but he could still work guys over on the boards and in the corners if he wanted to. He's done better than I expected, but still hasn't sold me on re-signing him next year. I guess we'll see as the playoffs move on if he picks up the physical play and becomes more of a hunter rather than always being the hunted. We have enough little white rabbits out there getting crushed against the boards, what we really need are a few guys to become predators and initiate - Stuart, Kronner, Cleary, Ericcson, Lilja, Abby, Bert, Mule - we are talking to YOU.

I for one am happy with Bertuzzi and think he is looking great on his new line. We'd all like for him to be more physical but I think he has changed his game in order to remain healthy. Back problems are always there to be re-injured and trust me they are no fun to deal with. He can't be the bruiser he once was but I think he can still use his unique set of skill and size to drive to the net harder and more often. Having a successful season like this to build on is a great step on securing an important role and I hope he stays on with us and keeps re-establsihing himself in a new role. Keep it up Bertuzzi,lookin good!

I thought Bert was great today, actually played a bit physical, made smart passes, took good shots, just got robbed. If he had corraled those 2 almost breakaway passes who knows how todays game would've turned out. Good to see him getting better as the series goes along.

I appreciate Bert now having less finish than Filpulla.

In reality he hasn't been playing badly, but he has had so many missed opportunities that it makes it seem like he is playing poorly at times.

hopefully he isn't back next season

if he signed for that cheap again you wouldnt want him? Is it the turn overs that get you? i just think he contributes a lot for his low salary.

Guest Lidstromboli

if he signed for lower than his current cap hit then maybe

but he'll probably make the same or get a raise if he's re-signed.

Today I thought a manequin on skates would have been just as useful as Bertuzzi was. The puck just bounced off of him.

he created chances. He even had that called back goal and some other good chances. you have to give him some credit.

Guest Lidstromboli

i'm appreciating the possibility of him not being on the team next season :)

Bert has surpassed expectations for the Wings this season, I hope he signs up for another season or two. 44 pts for $1.5 million, how can you complain?

This is what i think but a lot of people..cough lidstromboli cough... dont agree.

Guest REDWINGSFTW

Its actually unfortunate that bertuzzi actually destroyed moore but come on, all these hits out there could result in broken necks and career ending injuries, bertuzzi just fked up a guy and part of the problem was the huge massive pileup on moore.

Also bertuzzi went after moore because a week earlier Nazlund got elbowed to the face by moore and suffered bone chips and a concussion, i dont blame bert, but the results were bad. Just to show everyone one wrong split second decision could destroy you.

Its actually unfortunate that bertuzzi actually destroyed moore but come on, all these hits out there could result in broken necks and career ending injuries, bertuzzi just fked up a guy and part of the problem was the huge massive pileup on moore.

Also bertuzzi went after moore because a week earlier Nazlund got elbowed to the face by moore and suffered bone chips and a concussion, i dont blame bert, but the results were bad. Just to show everyone one wrong split second decision could destroy you.

should have finished him off. I hate moore.

Bert was a great power forward at one time... for some reason, he believes that he's a skilled European now. I could almost see him skating down the ice with the Russian 5 in the late 90's. Bertozomov and Fedorov spinning and dipsy-doodling all over the ice... both full of skill and potential but for some reason taking plays off throughout the game.

As many have pointed out, for the price, Bert has been pretty good. I mean, didn't J-Willy get about the same contract? That guy is a complete waste of space. Bert is definitely better than him, but that ain't sayin' much.

Hopefully, Bert will show a bit more intensity (along with a majority of the team) before the Coyotes send us to the golf course...

Bertuzzi's been fine for the most part. Wish he could be the player he was in the Vancouver days, but whatever, those days have gone by. He's been playing more physical/mucking it up so far this series for the most part.

As for the Moore incident, that's like what, 50 years ago? It happened, he f'ed up, he realized he did, he apologized balling like a little kid saying he's sorry for what he did, there's nothing more he can do. Don't forget obviously but he's moved on from it mentally it seems, not sure why some fans cannot.