• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

NHL Rejects Kovalchuk's Contract

Rate this topic

I think its complete B.S. Sure he proably wont be playing at 45 but who are the NHL to say he won't. It's not like it has not happened before.

Thats why the NHL rejected Kovalchuks contract and are now "investigating" other similar ones. They are trying to put a end to these types of contracts.

From The Sporting News :

“No satisfaction whatsoever,” Bettman said. “The fact of the matter is, we believed that that contract was clearly a circumvention. Whether or not people agree with that decision, an independent arbitrator who heard the case agreed that it was a circumvention. I’d rather there never be circumventions.”

According to reporter Pavel Lysenko of Sovietsky Sport, the latest framework the Devils provided the league was for a Kovalchuk deal spanning 15 years. According to Lysenko, the league’s stance is that it will only approve a 13-year (or less) contract.

That would bring the Kovalchuk contract more in line with the approved deals of Marian Hossa and Roberto Luongo, who both signed 12-year deals.

“The fact is, when we try to be flexible, it gets thrown up against us,” Bettman said of previous long-term deals the league has approved. “But in the final analysis, that (Kovalchuk) contract was found to be a circumvention and I don’t take any satisfaction in that.”

I think its complete B.S. Sure he proably wont be playing at 45 but who are the NHL to say he won't. It's not like it has not happened before.

The main reason this contract has been deemed a clear circumvention of the cap, is because of the structure of the deal. The structure actually encourages Kovalchuk to retire, not just a little bit, but well before the end of the full contract. Why would Kovalchuk stick around, playing (and probably sucking) at 42+ years old to make less than league minimum? He wouldn't.

If the money was more evenly spread, it would have been more likely to have been accepted.

To address your point more precisely. To hope a 28-year-old will be playing in 17 years is acceptable. To expect it is completely absurd. All contracts should be agreed to with the expectation that they are to be fulfilled, in full, by both parties. If this is not the case, it's fair to call it circumvention.

Edited by Doggy

If the money was more evenly spread, it would have been more likely to have been accepted.

But, if the money was more evenly spread, it wouldn't have been as atractive, from a business point of view, to New Jersey. I would love to see a charge of collusion be laid by the League between Jay Grossman and the Devils.

Then why not 50?

His cap hit could be $2m while making $15m per year! Sweet!

But, if the money was more evenly spread, it wouldn't have been as atractive, from a business point of view, to New Jersey. I would love to see a charge of collusion be laid by the League between Jay Grossman and the Devils.

Of course it's not as attractive when it doesn't circumvent the guidelines of the CBA.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Rumor I read this morning on twitter was that he's maybe starting season in KHL while continuing to negotiate with NJ/NHL.

Edit:

Why was this negged?

@dchesnokov

There is a chance Kovalchuk will start the season in the KHL (Sep 8), but will come back to the NHL when the contract is done.9:45 AM Aug 26th via Twitter for BlackBerry®

I'm sorry I didn't bother to source the rumor, that's now false from the same source.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Hard ball: from TSN :

It appears that a resolution to the Ilya Kovalchuk saga might be closer than many anticipated.

Yahoo!'s Dmitri Chesnokov is reporting that Kovalchuk's Russian agent, Yuri Nikolaev has set a 48-hour deadline with the NHL to resolve his client's contract issues or Kovalchuk will likely play elsewhere this season with the KHL being the most likely option. More calls between all parties are scheduled for the remainder of Thursday.

You're right, there has been a handful of players over the years that have played to that age....who cares if it's only been 4 or 5 guys out of the thousands that have played in the NHL, who cares that there has only been 1 guy in the past 30+ years to play to that age.... :unsure:

If the money was more evenly spread it over the duration of the contract it would have been MORE attractive to New Jersey (they get the same player for the same duration while paying out less money up front - time value of money) and less attractive to Kovalchuk (money in hand up front is more valuable than money down the road - plus he wouldnt be able to retire early with 95% of the money earned).

Guest CaliWingsNut

Also from @dchesnokov

The latest (last?) Kovalchuk proposal was submitted to the League a couple of hours ago.

No decision yet from the league, from what I heard.

Guest CaliWingsNut

@wyshynski

Per Puck Daddy's @dchesnokov, source says NHL will approve latest Kovalchuk proposal. No word on terms; waiting for NJD announcement.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I think we may soon find out...

@dchesnokov

Just as I thought, driving down the I-95 and something happens. Congrats to Kovalchuk, the Devils, the NHL ,and all hockey fans.

Guest CaliWingsNut

@realKyper

Hearing 100M over 15 years may have sealed a deal.

Edit: many saying NHL has not completed review / decision.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Guest CaliWingsNut

Bill Daly confirms new deal submission by Devils. NHL has 5 days to approve or deny the new contract. deal.gif

As well, a sense of humour; from Ottawa Citizen :

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed Friday the league is reviewing a signed contract and must either approve or reject it within five days. It's believed this contract for the 27-year-old Russian left-winger is worth $100 million U.S. over 15 years, which would mean a salary cap hit of $6.66 million annually. But it's not believed contract approval is a mere formality.

Negotiating and agreeing to a contract which is rejected under the premise of cap circumvention is hardly collusion. If it had been Grossman rejecting more attractive deals proposed for Kovalchuk by other NHL teams without Kovalchuk's knowledge, with the intent of signing this deal and Grossman gets a nice payday from the Devils for Kovalchuk staying, THEN it would be collusion.