• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

For the past weeks the wings have improved and upgraded their forward depth and top6 D, lookin' pretty damn good... but the goalie situation, how are they gonna handle that, there's a famous sophomore slump for many goalies, and also fact of the matter is Howard played worse in the playoffs than during the post-olympic run (16-2-3 or something)which isn't a good way to end a season, and Osgood, well, last year was probably his worst year in his career...

Do you think they will test osgood and se where he's at and play them 50/50? If they fail could we see a trade? What is reasonable?

I know Detroit have almost always have a mid ranked nhl goalie and put their money on D and on forwards, but are you all comfortable with howard? (i assume this is osgood's final year and he will retire) who will be the backup or starter when he retires? will they sign a cheap FA like they did with Conklin?

#2 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,781 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

My ideal situation would be for Howard to start 55 games, Ozzie 27. However, none of this 20+ consecutive starts for Howard so that when Ozzie does finally get a game, he's so rusty that he lets in a goal to an enforcer 14 seconds into the game.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#3 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

he's so rusty that he lets in a goal to an enforcer 14 seconds into the game.

that happened a few times last year, didn't it? boy it seemed like it did.
Posted Image

#4 Branton87

Branton87

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

My ideal situation would be for Howard to start 55 games, Ozzie 27. However, none of this 20+ consecutive starts for Howard so that when Ozzie does finally get a game, he's so rusty that he lets in a goal to an enforcer 14 seconds into the game.

This. Poor Osgood was hung out to dry. Being a goalie in Detroit has to be the worst job on the team. Most everyone either blames you for losses, or loves you when you win.

#5 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

I don't think Jimmy will have a sophmore slump. He is gunna be what, 26-27 years old? He has played full time the last 4 years in the minors and played really well last season with the Wings. He is a pro and knows how to handle playing 50+ games.

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#6 yzerman3cups

yzerman3cups

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

I'll pray for no slump for Howard and Osgood can handle the regular season.

#7 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

I don't think Jimmy will have a sophmore slump. He is gunna be what, 26-27 years old? He has played full time the last 4 years in the minors and played really well last season with the Wings. He is a pro and knows how to handle playing 50+ games.

Although I agree with this to some extent, the NHL is a different beast and HOW many goalies have we seen that exploded onto the scene, only to be out of the NHL altogether in 3 years? (Steve Shields, Brian Boucher - although he kinda had a resurgence last year, Roman Chechmanek, Jim Carey, etc, etc....) the point is, it's all about how he handles it mentally and how consistent he can stay... I think he has shown through college, to GR, to Detroit, that he can handle adversity and let it roll off his shoulders (remember, he almost lost the job in GR to Larsen and came back to have a Calder'esque first season in Detroit, so I don't think he is in that group and I think he will continue to play solid... let's just keep things in perspective and accept the fact that he may still have a few down points in the season... the focus is, and should be, on how he bounces back from it...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#8 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

No one demands he should make 40+ saves and stand on his head, all we demand is he save the must-save shots, control rebounds better and play a solid all around game, letting in 0-2goals per game, sometimes perhaps 3 and the wings team should load up the W's anyways.

#9 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

howard's gonna have a great year. and with the wings team that holland has assembled, he can stand in the ken dryden pose for 2/3 of the game and get a pile of W's. can't wait for the season to start already. adios summer and your terrible humidity...hello outdoor ice!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#10 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

I don't think Howard should play as much as he did last year and I would like to see Babcock have a friendly competition between the two. The goalie who wins, plays the next game. Both should get close to the same amount of playing time... and be well rested for playoffs.

#11 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

Although I agree with this to some extent, the NHL is a different beast and HOW many goalies have we seen that exploded onto the scene, only to be out of the NHL altogether in 3 years? (Steve Shields, Brian Boucher - although he kinda had a resurgence last year, Roman Chechmanek, Jim Carey, etc, etc....) the point is, it's all about how he handles it mentally and how consistent he can stay... I think he has shown through college, to GR, to Detroit, that he can handle adversity and let it roll off his shoulders (remember, he almost lost the job in GR to Larsen and came back to have a Calder'esque first season in Detroit, so I don't think he is in that group and I think he will continue to play solid... let's just keep things in perspective and accept the fact that he may still have a few down points in the season... the focus is, and should be, on how he bounces back from it...

....Jose Theodore, Carey Price, Andrew Raycroft
I was not ever 100% confident in Howard and I thought he had multiple area's in need of big improvement but he did seem to have that calm about him and did bounce back from horrible games. I think after having improved even a bit on those glaring problem area's he could be just enough goalie this team will need with the ability to put on a show now and then... very similar to the career of Chris Osgood.

#12 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

This was my thought too. The way we bring our players along by the time they get to the NHL full time they are ready. There's no reason he should regress.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#13 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

....Jose Theodore, Carey Price, Andrew Raycroft
I was not ever 100% confident in Howard and I thought he had multiple area's in need of big improvement but he did seem to have that calm about him and did bounce back from horrible games. I think after having improved even a bit on those glaring problem area's he could be just enough goalie this team will need with the ability to put on a show now and then... very similar to the career of Chris Osgood.

I couldn't agree more - He doesn't (and shouldn't) have to stand on his head to have one hell of a career here, he just needs to be able to shake off the bad and play solid and I think he has that in him - I'm pretty optimistic about the future of Jimmy Howard in the Winged Wheel...

for the record, my original post was actually agreeing with you, I was just playing devil's advocate a little and pointing out both sides of the coin, but I think your thought is in the right place...
:thumbup:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#14 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

The team will be better (unlike Colombus for Mason) which will keep Howard's sophomore slump in check if he has one.

Preseason will really show if Osgood can come back to form and be a capable backup. Let's hope so.

Posted Image

#15 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Howard's rebound control still scares the crap out of me. If he can learn to swallow the pucks like a no. 1 goalie, then I think we'll be fine.

#16 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

No one demands he should make 40+ saves and stand on his head, all we demand is he save the must-save shots, control rebounds better and play a solid all around game, letting in 0-2goals per game, sometimes perhaps 3 and the wings team should load up the W's anyways.

The unfortunate part is that most wings fans really don't know what it is to be a goaltender. Save the must-save shots? To Wings fans, that means no mistakes. Every goalie makes them. Control rebounds? To Wings fans, that means no rebounds. Every goalie gives up rebounds. Play a solid all around game? To Wings fans, this means play solid and no mistakes. Every goalie makes mistakes.

Lets cut through things here shall we? The Wings did not lose in the postseason last season because of goaltending. The Wings team as a whole did not deserve to beat San Jose who came much more prepared than the Wings did.

The Wings goaltending situation is just fine. The Wings team is just fine. If the offense and defense in front of Howard/Osgood stays healthy and consistent, the wings will have a 50 win season.

Howard's rebound control still scares the crap out of me. If he can learn to swallow the pucks like a no. 1 goalie, then I think we'll be fine.

Name me a Number 1 goalie who swallows pucks more effectively and consistently than Howard.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#17 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

The unfortunate part is that most wings fans really don't know what it is to be a goaltender. Save the must-save shots? To Wings fans, that means no mistakes. Every goalie makes them. Control rebounds? To Wings fans, that means no rebounds. Every goalie gives up rebounds. Play a solid all around game? To Wings fans, this means play solid and no mistakes. Every goalie makes mistakes.

Lets cut through things here shall we? The Wings did not lose in the postseason last season because of goaltending. The Wings team as a whole did not deserve to beat San Jose who came much more prepared than the Wings did.

The Wings goaltending situation is just fine. The Wings team is just fine. If the offense and defense in front of Howard/Osgood stays healthy and consistent, the wings will have a 50 win season.

Name me a Number 1 goalie who swallows pucks more effectively and consistently than Howard.

You honestly don't think Howard had a problem with rebound control, nor he had issues in the playoffs?

Posted Image

#18 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

think howard got a bit lucky. his 5 hole scares me and his rebond countrol.
Posted Image

#19 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

We're doomed.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#20 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Like Howard, support him... be his secret BFF but your are kidding yourself. His rebound control was terrible, he was caught out of position and bailed out the the team too often, and his 5 hole was as wide as the grand canyon some nights. It was his rookie season in the NHL and he has a lot of improvements to make. No, we did not lose in the playoffs solely because of goal tending but we weren't helped along by it by any means... some nights he was flat out crap. If he has done his work in the off season and worked out some of the bugs then he'll be fine and if he hasn't then he'd better stop listening to his secret BFF's