• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwings1914

Abdelkader re-signs for 2 years

Rate this topic

Don't know about Zetterberg as the first line center. Datsyuk did a lot better on faceoffs last year from what I remember. But they'll probably play it by ear.

Zetterberg has almost always played in the middle when he and Datsyuk have been on the same line, has he not?

It's whoever's winning the faceoffs, Babcock says.

This. They've kind of just been in control of their own rotation, really. The last time they spent a decent chunk of time playing together was the 2007-08 season. That year Zetterberg took 1210 faceoffs and Datsyuk took 833, so it was somewhat balanced.

Don't know about Zetterberg as the first line center. Datsyuk did a lot better on faceoffs last year from what I remember. But they'll probably play it by ear.

Datsyuk has said in the past he prefers playing wing with Z at centre - half jokingly because the centre does all the backchecking under Babcock's system :D

Wings' centers to start the season: (may change during the course of the season of course)

Zetterberg

Filppula

Modano

Helm/Abdelkader (toss up)

Hopefully they'll be able to cheat more on faceoffs. The first guy can be as aggressive as they want because they know the second guy has an ok chance of winning it.

Career FO stats:

Pav (53.39)/Z (51.28)

Fil (51.96)/Mule (48.97)

Mike (around 50)/Bear (49.95)

Helm (51.07)/Abby (46.59)

The cap is only half the issue. There's also the 23 man roster limit. Currently, counting Ritola and all bonuses, we have 25 players and ~$1.3 million over the cap.

Moving Meech and using the bonus cushion (if bonuses are met) gives us the cap we need, but we still need to move one more player.

True, and I was simply referring to the cash aspect of things. IIRC, Ritola can be kept down in GR one more season eliminating the need to expose him to waivers. Letting Meech go and then using the bonus cushion if bonus' need be applied will do the trick.

Not that rare. Neither Meech nor Ritola got their raises either. Leino didn't last year. I think a few of Chicago's RFAs didn't.

But for a player like Abby, who seems to have a solid future in the NHL, you might be pretty close. I think in most cases it's players like Ritola, who haven't really shown themselves to be NHLers, that get less.

I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying. I'm referring to a qualifying offer being more lucrative then the renegotiation's.

Well capgeek.com has us at + $74,623. Of course that is not counting Ritola. If Meech is traded, one or two of either Ritola/Eaves or Miller, then they should be good enough for cap space. Remember, Abdelkader can still start the season in Grand Rapids without clearing waivers. I know it has been said that he will be in Detroit this season, but when it comes to business and face it, Ken Holland is in this as a businessman, if Holland cannot clear enough space (or get what he wants in return for one of the traded guys) Justin will be sent down to Grand Rapids to help with the Cap and make the 23 man roster. Ya never know, Ritola may come in and shine, then what? Miller and Eaves better be looking behind them...

Guest mindfly

Well capgeek.com has us at + $74,623. Of course that is not counting Ritola. If Meech is traded, one or two of either Ritola/Eaves or Miller, then they should be good enough for cap space. Remember, Abdelkader can still start the season in Grand Rapids without clearing waivers. I know it has been said that he will be in Detroit this season, but when it comes to business and face it, Ken Holland is in this as a businessman, if Holland cannot clear enough space (or get what he wants in return for one of the traded guys) Justin will be sent down to Grand Rapids to help with the Cap and make the 23 man roster. Ya never know, Ritola may come in and shine, then what? Miller and Eaves better be looking behind them...

No Abdelkader must clear waivers in order to be sent down, abdelkader will get picked up. He's in a red wing uniform this season for sure.

No Abdelkader must clear waivers in order to be sent down, abdelkader will get picked up. He's in a red wing uniform this season for sure.

[edit]I stand corrected. His tryout in 2008 was only one game. So he did have a pro game that year, and thus now 3 years of pro experience. He would in fact have to clear waivers.

Edited by Buppy

Guest mindfly

Abby still has a year of exemption left, or until he plays 80 NHL games. I think the 80 games is regular season and playoffs combined, so that put him at 73 or 75 (if his 2 games on an amatuer tryout count), either way, he's still exempt at the moment.

Even so, I'd fully expect him to be with us this season.

Oh in that case Abdelkader himself was wrong, listen here in the end:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/08/red_wings_forward_justin_abdel_6.html

Video is further down on the page

"If i get sent down I would have to clear waivers"

Edited by mindfly

I didnt see it posted here, and for that matter mentioned at all, but just about everyone on this site is now/has been asking for a gritty hard nosed player. Well hard nosed seems to be what Abby is working on.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/08/justin_abdelkader_signs_two-ye.html

A quick highlight

-----Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said the two-year contract Abdelkader received was important because it gives the 23-year-old time to develop and establish himself as an NHL player.

“I think at some point in time in his career he can be a top-six forward,” Holland said. “The question is, can he be a top-six forward on a playoff team? Because that’s what it’s all about.”

The Red Wings’ depth means Abdelkader likely will start the season on the fourth line with Darren Helm and Patrick Eaves.

There, he will be required to use his size (6-foot-1, 215 pounds) and skating ability to provide a physical presence and strong forechecking.

That won’t be an issue, Abdelkader said. He took boxing lessons this summer and can play either center or left wing.

“I just want to be in the lineup night in and night out,” he said. “Hopefully, I can get some penalty kill experience, if I can, and work on my faceoff percentage.

.....“He might have had a better opportunity somewhere else, but we have plans for him,” Holland said. “We think he has the potential for a bigger role and more responsibilities in the future.”

Regarding his BOXING...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/07/red_wings_justin_abdelkader_ta.html

The 23-year-old Muskegon native is learning how to throw uppercuts and hooks while maintaining proper balance.

He's not trying to become a heavyweight, he just wants to be better prepared to fight in 2010-11, which will be his first full NHL season. Playing an abrasive style of hockey that can agitate opponents, Abdelkader will be challenged occasionally, especially on a team that lacks an enforcer and does not have many players who fight.

Every and Abdelkader studied video of some of his fights and saw he was too aggressive and opening up while looking for the knockout punch. He also didn't have proper positioning and balance.

If these were posted anywhere else, I apologize, but Im an Abby fan...and although the article(s) may be a few weeks old its good to know that someone will be stepping up to kick some ass.

I didnt see it posted here, and for that matter mentioned at all, but just about everyone on this site is now/has been asking for a gritty hard nosed player. Well hard nosed seems to be what Abby is working on.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/08/justin_abdelkader_signs_two-ye.html

A quick highlight

-----Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said the two-year contract Abdelkader received was important because it gives the 23-year-old time to develop and establish himself as an NHL player.

“I think at some point in time in his career he can be a top-six forward,” Holland said. “The question is, can he be a top-six forward on a playoff team? Because that’s what it’s all about.”

The Red Wings’ depth means Abdelkader likely will start the season on the fourth line with Darren Helm and Patrick Eaves.

There, he will be required to use his size (6-foot-1, 215 pounds) and skating ability to provide a physical presence and strong forechecking.

That won’t be an issue, Abdelkader said. He took boxing lessons this summer and can play either center or left wing.

“I just want to be in the lineup night in and night out,” he said. “Hopefully, I can get some penalty kill experience, if I can, and work on my faceoff percentage.

.....“He might have had a better opportunity somewhere else, but we have plans for him,” Holland said. “We think he has the potential for a bigger role and more responsibilities in the future.”

Regarding his BOXING...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/07/red_wings_justin_abdelkader_ta.html

The 23-year-old Muskegon native is learning how to throw uppercuts and hooks while maintaining proper balance.

He's not trying to become a heavyweight, he just wants to be better prepared to fight in 2010-11, which will be his first full NHL season. Playing an abrasive style of hockey that can agitate opponents, Abdelkader will be challenged occasionally, especially on a team that lacks an enforcer and does not have many players who fight.

Every and Abdelkader studied video of some of his fights and saw he was too aggressive and opening up while looking for the knockout punch. He also didn't have proper positioning and balance.

If these were posted anywhere else, I apologize, but Im an Abby fan...and although the article(s) may be a few weeks old its good to know that someone will be stepping up to kick some ass.

I'm excited. Abby plays a gritty, hard-nosed style and its only appropriate that he learn to stick up for himself when he pushes the opposition too hard.

Needless to say, I expect him to push the opposition too hard.

I'm excited. Abby plays a gritty, hard-nosed style and its only appropriate that he learn to stick up for himself when he pushes the opposition too hard.

Needless to say, I expect him to push the opposition too hard.

now this is what im talking about.....very last words "he also got a facefull of knuckles compliments of Justin Abdelkader." lol

Edited by NotTooAbby