• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Quebec City getting new arena

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

That's an estimation on your part. Quebec wins the Cup and almost guarantee people for miles would come and attend. That whole population is hockey crazy and just think, Chicago isn't and got that much. Maybe you could see the possibilities there.

So they'll steal people from Montreal for their parade? Where exactly are they going to draw from? The 700k is a METRO population figure, not within city borders.

Edit: this is not a field of dreams situation.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

So they'll steal people from Montreal for their parade? Where exactly are they going to draw from? The 700k is a METRO population figure, not within city borders.

Edit: this is not a field of dreams situation.

Because the Nordiques only drew fans from Quebec, I forgot.

Because the Nordiques only drew fans from Quebec, I forgot.

Yeah, and I fly home to Detroit every time the wings win to spend money... *rolls eyes*

Like I said earlier... bandwagon fans still spend money.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Yeah, and I fly home to Detroit every time the wings win to spend money... *rolls eyes*

OK *bows to you* then *rolls eyes* thumbup.gif

Doesn't matter really. The point is the product isn't working here Uncle Gary.

here = Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta.

F.Michael likes this

Like I said earlier... bandwagon fans still spend money.

Only a handful of teams go deep enough into the playoffs to get the "bandwagoners" to join in...Last time I've checked Florida, and Atlanta aren't regulars in the post season, and Phoenix got bounced in the 1st round (and many of the fans in attendance in Phoenix were rooting for the Red Wings).

OK *bows to you* then *rolls eyes* thumbup.gif

Doesn't matter really. The point is the product isn't working here Uncle Gary.

here = Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta.

Agreed.

Apparently the BOG doesn't mind welfare franchises.

Honestly - who care what the metro size is of any given city as long as the arena sells out each, and every home game?

Edited by F.Michael

From TSN:

The mayor of Quebec City has accused the federal government of spending months misleading people in his city and feeding false hopes it might help fund an NHL-style hockey arena.

That "kiss and a promise" routine works everytime.

TSN

OTTAWA -- The federal government has blacked out documents detailing discussions over whether to fund an NHL-calibre arena in Quebec City.

First, it was the questioning of the estimated cost of a new arena. Now...from Montreal Gazette :

Quebec's lobbying commissioner has launched an official investigation into the controversial Quebec City arena deal because it has reasons to believe the province's legislation was violated.

After examining the documents provided by city officials, the commissioner said in a brief statement Thursday he has "reasonable grounds" to conclude there was a breach of the lobbying law — as a result a full investigation will be conducted.

I hope it's a real arena that can seat at least 18k. Another 15k arena like the one in Winnipeg would be a terrible idea.

Chelios57 likes this

I hope it's a real arena that can seat at least 18k. Another 15k arena like the one in Winnipeg would be a terrible idea.

They are talking about 18.5K places in Québec.

Configuration in Winnipeg arena allows to add at least 3k places - so it's not that bad.

First, it was the questioning of the estimated cost of a new arena. Now...from Montreal Gazette :

There is no problem with construction of new arena in Qc, problem is the way they settle "contract" with future "owner" of Nordiques P-K Péladeau. They didn't wanted to have Bell as partner (Bell will not allow new team in Qc area - they have parts of Montreal) so only other option was/is Videotron which is owned by P-K-P.

From the article: "If the league decides a struggling franchise like the Phoenix Coyotes should be sold and moved, Quebec City would likely have to compete with Seattle, which hopes to lure the NBA back to town with a new arena. Hodgson points out arenas with two major league tenants are more attractive to leagues looking to move a franchise.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to re-locate an NHL franchise to a city that would look upon you as the red-headed step child once their precious NBA franchise returns :blink:

Moving to Seattle has all the makings of a Phoenix Coyotes part deux...They would be insane not to move back to Quebec City; just play in the Colisée Pepsi for a few seasons until a new arena is built.

I don't see Seattle getting a team before Quebec City.

But I've been wrong before....

Seattle shouldn't get an NHL franchise...Seems as though they'd use the franchise as a ploy to get the NBA back in town :nono:

From Brampton Guardian:

Commissioner Gary Bettman says new Quebec City arena or not, the NHL is not looking at expansion right now.

He made the comment at a media availability Saturday prior to Game 2 of the Boston-Montreal playoff series when a Quebec reporter said there is sentiment in Quebec that the NHL looks more favourably on Seattle than Quebec City when it comes to future expansion.

And Quebec City is building a new arena while Seattle isn't, the reporter noted.

"We're not considering expansion right now," Bettman replied. "We have not engaged in (an) expansion process."

There you have it; straight from the horse's...mouth.

QC is very small population wise. Now Bettmen dt say anything about relocation. Their best beat is to get someone to buy the Panthers and move them. east to east thing. I am just not sure a city with less than 800,000 in its metro area can maintain a team. hell Grand rapids has 1.4 million. WE WANT A TEAM! That would be stressful however.

I'm sure he would prefer some known hockeycrazy cities such as Las Vegas *lol* I also don't think expansion will happen soon but some teams are going to relocate. Although the Panthers have an almost forever lease wit the arena so that would require a huge buyout.

QC is very small population wise. Now Bettmen dt say anything about relocation. Their best beat is to get someone to buy the Panthers and move them. east to east thing. I am just not sure a city with less than 800,000 in its metro area can maintain a team. hell Grand rapids has 1.4 million. WE WANT A TEAM! That would be stressful however.

Population means nothing if there's no fan base, or fan of the game itself.

Atlanta, Miami, and Phoenix all come to mind...Seattle wants basketball more than hockey.

The Nordiques average nearly 15,000 in their old barn while in QC, and right now it looks as though Winnipeg is doing ok.

If Bettman/BOG wish to right some of their wrongs - 1 step in the right direction would be to push the Panthers into a sale for a re-location to Quebec City...I just hope they would go back to their old jerseys, and not change like Winnipeg had.

frankgrimes likes this