• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingsownnhl43

"Why I hate this obnoxious hockey team"

Rate this topic

She is not a sports journalist; just a "freelance" "yahoo user" blogger. Anyone with time on their hands and a propensity to want to see their own writing on a screen can do it; no subject knowledge required.

https://publish.associatedcontent.com/signup.shtml

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/495535/sherri_thornhill.html

"The Detroit Red Wings: Why I hate this obnoxious hockey team

By Sherri Thornhill, Associated Content

This article was produced by a Yahoo! Sports user. Submit an article"

Watch this with a beer and remember who we are and who she is; you'll be fine.

Edited by T.Low

Not to get into this hackneyed argument on a hockey board, but the Yankees operate within the system that all teams in major league baseball have to work with. The Red Wings operate within the system that all teams in the NHL have to work with. Both teams are very successful at doing that.

If other teams don't have the fiduciary means to run their ball club the way the Yankees run theirs, that's not the Yankees' problem. They are playing by the same set of rules all teams have to play by. If other teams don't have the drafting/scouting means to run their hockey team the way the Wings run theirs, that's not the Wings' problem. They are playing by the same set of rules that all teams have to play by.

Salary cap is a weak argument as far as I'm concerned because the owners will never, ever, ever allow one. In order to have a cap in baseball there must also be a floor, and no owner will go for that. Because if you set the salary cap at say.....$85 million dollars, if there's no floor, owners could pay their players in Monopoly money and get away with it, because they'd be under the cap. No, if there's going to ever be a salary cap in baseball, they'd need to use the NFL's model, because I believe that while there's a cap, there's also a floor which is a certain percentage of the cap, meaning that all teams must operate between a set of dollar amounts. That's the only way I could see a cap of any kind working in MLB.

But like I said, this is for another part of the board.

This gets me. I will never understand why it's an insult to call a team the New York Yankees of whatever sport the team plays. Maybe it's my bias talking, but the Yankees are storied, legendary franchise that has won many championships and had absolute freakin' Gods play for them (Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle).

Why wouldn't the Red Wings want to be compared to a successful model like that? It would be an insult if the Wings were called the Washington Nationals of the NHL.

The Yankees are good at what they do (whether you like it or not). So are the Red Wings. It's not an insult to compare the two at all.

Well it's not suppose to be an insult as it is more not liking the way they run (in our case ran) their team. People just hate the Yankees because it was the thing to do this past decade since they came off winning 4 championships in the 90's and 2000 with a team they actually BUILT through the draft, and then after their heartbreaking 2001 WS loss to the Diamondbacks, Steinbrenner and Cashman wanted to keep that success going so they decided to dump money into their team by bringing in expensive free agents. Thing is their success as far as championships never continued (until last year), and they were always a team of overpaid players that could never go all the way.

The Wings were the same sort of, built their team through the draft, made a couple trades, won a few championships, then decided to bring a bunch of Hall of Famers to keep the success going, getting one championship out of it before the salary cap era began.

Only thing I do not understand now is that why were the Yankees considered a team that bought championships, when they could never win a championship after they decided to sink millions of dollars into the roster? Why are the Wings still considered the Yankees of the NHL when we're about 5 years into the salary cap era? These are some of the things I just don't get why some people still hold onto.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

Someone took the time to write a rebuttal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AlRL6Ym9hfmOYGo9dMPNj3GcvMJ_?slug=ac-6993778

IMHO, it's about as poorly written as hers.

Not quite as bad as hers, but not the rebuttal I was hoping for.

Speaking of rebuttals, I sent her an email and this is the response I got in return:

"Another Contributor, Sherri Thornhill, has sent you the following message on Associated Content:

Listen dork--it was an assignment from AC/Yahoo that specifically said to "talk trash"about the team you hate the most in the NHL....whcih I did, and was paidto do. Besides,I really do hate the Red Wingsand couldn't care less if you like it or not. Write your own article..and don't give me BS about being a Stars fan--no self-respecting Stars fan would defend the dead wings. No buzz off back to Detroit..."

Apparently she thinks I claimed I was a Stars fan, which I didn't, but rather stated that I would be embarrassed to be a Stars fan based on her article. And ughhhhh... someone PAID her to write this? I REALLY hope she's lying about that to save a little face. Othwerise.... mankind = fail.

Edited by hooon

Not to get into this hackneyed argument on a hockey board, but the Yankees operate within the system that all teams in major league baseball have to work with. The Red Wings operate within the system that all teams in the NHL have to work with. Both teams are very successful at doing that.

If other teams don't have the fiduciary means to run their ball club the way the Yankees run theirs, that's not the Yankees' problem. They are playing by the same set of rules all teams have to play by. If other teams don't have the drafting/scouting means to run their hockey team the way the Wings run theirs, that's not the Wings' problem. They are playing by the same set of rules that all teams have to play by.

Salary cap is a weak argument as far as I'm concerned because the owners will never, ever, ever allow one. In order to have a cap in baseball there must also be a floor, and no owner will go for that. Because if you set the salary cap at say.....$85 million dollars, if there's no floor, owners could pay their players in Monopoly money and get away with it, because they'd be under the cap. No, if there's going to ever be a salary cap in baseball, they'd need to use the NFL's model, because I believe that while there's a cap, there's also a floor which is a certain percentage of the cap, meaning that all teams must operate between a set of dollar amounts. That's the only way I could see a cap of any kind working in MLB.

But like I said, this is for another part of the board.

MLB will never get a salary cap because the Yankees and Red Sox don't want one, which is fine with me.

I've read about the current CBA in MLB, and all 30 teams make money under the current system. The Yankees and Red Sox pay a lot of money into the Luxury Tax, and national TV and mlb.com money is split evenly between all 30 teams. Teams like Pittsburgh and KC don't want to be told how much they have to pay in team salary, because it'll eliminate their profits. Baseball teams would rather base their team salary on what they bring in, not what the entire League brings in.

Also putting in a Salary Cap and parity in MLB could hurt the national TV contract with bad playoff match ups, lowering the TV revenue. If the national TV money goes down, MLB will have to be more like the NHL and be a gate driven league and risk being on a low rated TV station like Verses, something they don't want.

I live outside Toronto so I hear many Blue Jays fans complain about no Salary Cap in MLB, so I've looked into it :hehe:.

Edited by Barrie

I see it as shes ugly woman who is mad at the Red Wings cuz we have Modano. She's had a crush on him forever and since he came to Detroit she wants to bash the Wings. But seriously, jealousy is always gonna be a good thing I think. I want people talking s*** cuz it means the Wings are elite. And if lil Miss I look like a boy wants to talk s*** cuz she's been a hockey fan since she was eight (didn't think Dallas had hockey that long, but whatever)and wants to dog the Wings out of jealousy then hey let her, Dallas ain't gonna win a cup anytime soon.

Not quite as bad as hers, but not the rebuttal I was hoping for.

Speaking of rebuttals, I sent her an email and this is the response I got in return:

"Another Contributor, Sherri Thornhill, has sent you the following message on Associated Content:

Listen dork--it was an assignment from AC/Yahoo that specifically said to "talk trash"about the team you hate the most in the NHL....whcih I did, and was paidto do. Besides,I really do hate the Red Wingsand couldn't care less if you like it or not. Write your own article..and don't give me BS about being a Stars fan--no self-respecting Stars fan would defend the dead wings. No buzz off back to Detroit..."

Is that cut and paste from her e-mail? Those are some horrible typos!

FYI, in her profile she posted her e-mail address. Just click on her name at the top of the article and click on "Read More" in the "About" section under her profile pic. :cool:

I just went over to her profile again, and she removed her email address from her profile, replacing it with I recently had an article featured in Yahoo Sports:)Red Wings fans need a sense of humor!.

I just went over to her profile again, and she removed her email address from her profile, replacing it with I recently had an article featured in Yahoo Sports:)Red Wings fans need a sense of humor!.

She needs a sense of intelligence.

Mike Modano is a Detroit Red Wing

Mike Modano was the face of the Dallas Stars for 20 years. He owns the city of Dallas and is a hockey god here. He helped bring us our one and only Stanley Cup back in 1999. Mo only ever played for the Dallas Stars, until this season...

And that's where I stopped reading. Because, as all Stars Fans living in Dallas know, the NHL was founded in 1993...

And that's where I stopped reading. Because, as all Stars Fans living in Dallas know, the NHL was founded in 1993...

Yeah, and she was insulting our intelligence. Minnesota North Stars? Who is that? Dallas started this franchise. Modano has only played for Dallas. He was even drafted by them, when they drafted the entire team; all with NHL experience.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ac-6998878

Ummmmmm... Is there one single true claim in this entire piece of garbage article?

"The Detroit Red Wings are the New York Yankees of the NHL" We buy our championships, really? Not only has there been a salary cap for the past five years but even when there wasnt, our core was home grown. Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, Nick Lidstrom, Chris Osgood, Vladimir Konstantinov, Slava Kozlov, etc.

"The Detroit Red Wings are arrogant" Who???? LMAO! Steve Yzerman? Brendan Shanahan? Nick Lidstrom? Chris Osgood? Henrik Zetterberg? Pavel Datsyuk? Val Filppula? Brian Rafalski? Jimmy Howard? These are some of the most humble guys in the entire league.

"The Red Wings fans are some of the least knowledgeable, obnoxious, arrogant group of wannabe hockey fans I've ever had the displeasure of meeting." Ummm.... I dont even know how to respond to this one.

010haters.jpg