Photo
- - - - -

"Why I hate this obnoxious hockey team"

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

:blink:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#22 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

Someone needs to digitally harass this b.

FYI, in her profile she posted her e-mail address. Just click on her name at the top of the article and click on "Read More" in the "About" section under her profile pic. :cool:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#23 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

Tried to warn you not to read it...

I tried to resist reading it. Now my eyes are bleeding.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#24 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

This gets me. I will never understand why it's an insult to call a team the New York Yankees of whatever sport the team plays. Maybe it's my bias talking, but the Yankees are storied, legendary franchise that has won many championships and had absolute freakin' Gods play for them (Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle).

Why wouldn't the Red Wings want to be compared to a successful model like that? It would be an insult if the Wings were called the Washington Nationals of the NHL.

The Yankees are good at what they do (whether you like it or not). So are the Red Wings. It's not an insult to compare the two at all.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#25 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

This gets me. I will never understand why it's an insult to call a team the New York Yankees of whatever sport the team plays. Maybe it's my bias talking, but the Yankees are storied, legendary franchise that has won many championships and had absolute freakin' Gods play for them (Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle).

Why wouldn't the Red Wings want to be compared to a successful model like that? It would be an insult if the Wings were called the Washington Nationals of the NHL.

The Yankees are good at what they do (whether you like it or not). So are the Red Wings. It's not an insult to compare the two at all.

The comparison is not in regards to being a storied winning franchise, but rather the fact that the Yankees have never had to deal with a salary cap and have always had the ability to offer any amount of money to any player that they wish to get on their team, and they usually do get them.

The reason we have a problem with this comparison is the obvious fact that Wings have never "bought" a championship, but rather have drafted remarkably well and made great moves in the off season.

Edited by hooon, 22 October 2010 - 06:11 PM.

Posted Image

#26 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

She is not a sports journalist; just a "freelance" "yahoo user" blogger. Anyone with time on their hands and a propensity to want to see their own writing on a screen can do it; no subject knowledge required.

https://publish.asso...om/signup.shtml

http://www.associate..._thornhill.html

"The Detroit Red Wings: Why I hate this obnoxious hockey team
By Sherri Thornhill, Associated Content
This article was produced by a Yahoo! Sports user. Submit an article"

Watch this with a beer and remember who we are and who she is; you'll be fine.

Edited by T.Low, 22 October 2010 - 06:14 PM.

#27 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

This was allowed to be posted on Yahoo? Its all opinion and full of inaccurate bashings.

#28 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

Not to get into this hackneyed argument on a hockey board, but the Yankees operate within the system that all teams in major league baseball have to work with. The Red Wings operate within the system that all teams in the NHL have to work with. Both teams are very successful at doing that.

If other teams don't have the fiduciary means to run their ball club the way the Yankees run theirs, that's not the Yankees' problem. They are playing by the same set of rules all teams have to play by. If other teams don't have the drafting/scouting means to run their hockey team the way the Wings run theirs, that's not the Wings' problem. They are playing by the same set of rules that all teams have to play by.

Salary cap is a weak argument as far as I'm concerned because the owners will never, ever, ever allow one. In order to have a cap in baseball there must also be a floor, and no owner will go for that. Because if you set the salary cap at say.....$85 million dollars, if there's no floor, owners could pay their players in Monopoly money and get away with it, because they'd be under the cap. No, if there's going to ever be a salary cap in baseball, they'd need to use the NFL's model, because I believe that while there's a cap, there's also a floor which is a certain percentage of the cap, meaning that all teams must operate between a set of dollar amounts. That's the only way I could see a cap of any kind working in MLB.

But like I said, this is for another part of the board.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#29 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

Someone took the time to write a rebuttal.

http://sports.yahoo....slug=ac-6993778

IMHO, it's about as poorly written as hers.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#30 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

Well it's not suppose to be an insult as it is more not liking the way they run (in our case ran) their team. People just hate the Yankees because it was the thing to do this past decade since they came off winning 4 championships in the 90's and 2000 with a team they actually BUILT through the draft, and then after their heartbreaking 2001 WS loss to the Diamondbacks, Steinbrenner and Cashman wanted to keep that success going so they decided to dump money into their team by bringing in expensive free agents. Thing is their success as far as championships never continued (until last year), and they were always a team of overpaid players that could never go all the way.

The Wings were the same sort of, built their team through the draft, made a couple trades, won a few championships, then decided to bring a bunch of Hall of Famers to keep the success going, getting one championship out of it before the salary cap era began.

Only thing I do not understand now is that why were the Yankees considered a team that bought championships, when they could never win a championship after they decided to sink millions of dollars into the roster? Why are the Wings still considered the Yankees of the NHL when we're about 5 years into the salary cap era? These are some of the things I just don't get why some people still hold onto.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 22 October 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#31 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Someone took the time to write a rebuttal.

http://sports.yahoo....slug=ac-6993778

IMHO, it's about as poorly written as hers.

Not quite as bad as hers, but not the rebuttal I was hoping for.

Speaking of rebuttals, I sent her an email and this is the response I got in return:

"Another Contributor, Sherri Thornhill, has sent you the following message on Associated Content:

Listen dork--it was an assignment from AC/Yahoo that specifically said to "talk trash"about the team you hate the most in the NHL....whcih I did, and was paidto do. Besides,I really do hate the Red Wingsand couldn't care less if you like it or not. Write your own article..and don't give me BS about being a Stars fan--no self-respecting Stars fan would defend the dead wings. No buzz off back to Detroit..."

Apparently she thinks I claimed I was a Stars fan, which I didn't, but rather stated that I would be embarrassed to be a Stars fan based on her article. And ughhhhh... someone PAID her to write this? I REALLY hope she's lying about that to save a little face. Othwerise.... mankind = fail.

Edited by hooon, 22 October 2010 - 06:26 PM.

Posted Image

#32 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

Hey just another dweeb wanting attention and guess what, she got it.

#33 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

Most obnoxious fans in the NHL -

1. Vancouver
2. Toronto
3. Nashville

Lowest hockey IQ fans in the NHL -

1. Chicago
2. Nashville
3. Pittsburgh

No no Chicago is the top of both those lists.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#34 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

whoever allowed that to be posted should be fired.that was just terrible and ignorant :thumbup:

sig by saran,Thanks

#35 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

Not to get into this hackneyed argument on a hockey board, but the Yankees operate within the system that all teams in major league baseball have to work with. The Red Wings operate within the system that all teams in the NHL have to work with. Both teams are very successful at doing that.

If other teams don't have the fiduciary means to run their ball club the way the Yankees run theirs, that's not the Yankees' problem. They are playing by the same set of rules all teams have to play by. If other teams don't have the drafting/scouting means to run their hockey team the way the Wings run theirs, that's not the Wings' problem. They are playing by the same set of rules that all teams have to play by.

Salary cap is a weak argument as far as I'm concerned because the owners will never, ever, ever allow one. In order to have a cap in baseball there must also be a floor, and no owner will go for that. Because if you set the salary cap at say.....$85 million dollars, if there's no floor, owners could pay their players in Monopoly money and get away with it, because they'd be under the cap. No, if there's going to ever be a salary cap in baseball, they'd need to use the NFL's model, because I believe that while there's a cap, there's also a floor which is a certain percentage of the cap, meaning that all teams must operate between a set of dollar amounts. That's the only way I could see a cap of any kind working in MLB.

But like I said, this is for another part of the board.

MLB will never get a salary cap because the Yankees and Red Sox don't want one, which is fine with me.

I've read about the current CBA in MLB, and all 30 teams make money under the current system. The Yankees and Red Sox pay a lot of money into the Luxury Tax, and national TV and mlb.com money is split evenly between all 30 teams. Teams like Pittsburgh and KC don't want to be told how much they have to pay in team salary, because it'll eliminate their profits. Baseball teams would rather base their team salary on what they bring in, not what the entire League brings in.

Also putting in a Salary Cap and parity in MLB could hurt the national TV contract with bad playoff match ups, lowering the TV revenue. If the national TV money goes down, MLB will have to be more like the NHL and be a gate driven league and risk being on a low rated TV station like Verses, something they don't want.

I live outside Toronto so I hear many Blue Jays fans complain about no Salary Cap in MLB, so I've looked into it :hehe:.

Edited by Barrie, 22 October 2010 - 07:32 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#36 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

I see it as shes ugly woman who is mad at the Red Wings cuz we have Modano. She's had a crush on him forever and since he came to Detroit she wants to bash the Wings. But seriously, jealousy is always gonna be a good thing I think. I want people talking s*** cuz it means the Wings are elite. And if lil Miss I look like a boy wants to talk s*** cuz she's been a hockey fan since she was eight (didn't think Dallas had hockey that long, but whatever)and wants to dog the Wings out of jealousy then hey let her, Dallas ain't gonna win a cup anytime soon.

#37 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

Not quite as bad as hers, but not the rebuttal I was hoping for.

Speaking of rebuttals, I sent her an email and this is the response I got in return:

"Another Contributor, Sherri Thornhill, has sent you the following message on Associated Content:

Listen dork--it was an assignment from AC/Yahoo that specifically said to "talk trash"about the team you hate the most in the NHL....whcih I did, and was paidto do. Besides,I really do hate the Red Wingsand couldn't care less if you like it or not. Write your own article..and don't give me BS about being a Stars fan--no self-respecting Stars fan would defend the dead wings. No buzz off back to Detroit..."

Is that cut and paste from her e-mail? Those are some horrible typos!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#38 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

Is that cut and paste from her e-mail? Those are some horrible typos!

Yep. Thats exactly what I got in response. Amazingly, she somehow managed to FURTHER embarrass herself with that response.
Posted Image

#39 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:53 PM

FYI, in her profile she posted her e-mail address. Just click on her name at the top of the article and click on "Read More" in the "About" section under her profile pic. :cool:

I just went over to her profile again, and she removed her email address from her profile, replacing it with I recently had an article featured in Yahoo Sports:)Red Wings fans need a sense of humor!.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#40 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

I just went over to her profile again, and she removed her email address from her profile, replacing it with I recently had an article featured in Yahoo Sports:)Red Wings fans need a sense of humor!.

She needs a sense of intelligence.
Posted Image