• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jollymania

Brown Gets ejected for clean hit

Rate this topic

Head contact, meh.

But as far as the hit being blindside, 100%. If Antti hadn't taken a slapper,which Brown had no idea how he was going to shoot, he would have taken that hit on the back instead of the front of his shoulder. The refs actually handled this one well, in that they dealt with the situation on the ice before it escalated. WIth that said, if the league decides on a suspension then we have a serious issue.

anyone think that the game being on verses might have anything to do with the call?

Let the people watching ("national audience") see that they are taking hits to the head seriously?

as for the hit, 50/50 if it was dirty. i think the hit that happens at the start of the video is worse.

i seriously doubt the referees care who is televising the game. it was a questionable call that at game speed had to be made. even with super slow-mo replay, we still have people in this thread that feel its 100% dirty and others that feel its 100% clean. people all see it in different ways.

Head contact, meh.

But as far as the hit being blindside, 100%. If Antti hadn't taken a slapper,which Brown had no idea how he was going to shoot, he would have taken that hit on the back instead of the front of his shoulder. The refs actually handled this one well, in that they dealt with the situation on the ice before it escalated. WIth that said, if the league decides on a suspension then we have a serious issue.

If he hadn't have taken the shot, the hit probably would have been more shoulder to chest, rather than to the back as you suggest. Not that it matters though, there is nothing wrong with hitting someone from behind in open ice, it's a problem when you hit them from behind into the boards.

the video is annoyingly low res, but Brown's hit is ejection worthy, say goodbye to moments like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm2x13R4_Cw

and possibly this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ka7jZ68ovM&feature=related

Video isn't good enough, but the first one looked like it could have been an elbow.

This is a blindside shoulder to shoulder hit. No contact to his head = clean hit.

Edit: same goes for the second one you posted

My point wasn't that these were head contact or weren't clean hits.

They absolutely are, especially under the rules at the time, but they're similar enough and at such speed that the refs could make the same mistake they did with Brown. Or even worse, players like Datsyuk will pass up hits like this for fear of being given a 5 minute major.

My point wasn't that these were head contact or weren't clean hits.

They absolutely are, especially under the rules at the time, but they're similar enough and at such speed that the refs could make the same mistake they did with Brown. Or even worse, players like Datsyuk will pass up hits like this for fear of being given a 5 minute major.

That fear didn't stop him from beating down a douchecanoe.

I don't know! This league is going to crap with all of these new rules. I am with Mickey Redmond on just about every call, for the Wings or against! The NHL has watered this game down so much, that it has really taken the excitement from the game!

There is no way that this was a dirty hit! NO WAY!!Contact was made with the shoulder and the hit was made on the shoulder. Just because the head snaps back does not mean that there was an intent to hit the head! What garbage! I understand that there will be bad calls until the refs understand what they are looking for, but we do have instant replay, so check it out first before throwing a guy out of the game.

I say that because I am afraid that guys that are on the receiving end of these hits will start to throw their heads back to draw attention to that just to draw a penalty! Or.... they will lay on the ice and fake an injury just to draw attention! Those are the clowns that need to be suspended!

If he hadn't have taken the shot, the hit probably would have been more shoulder to chest, rather than to the back as you suggest. Not that it matters though, there is nothing wrong with hitting someone from behind in open ice, it's a problem when you hit them from behind into the boards.

Video isn't good enough, but the first one looked like it could have been an elbow.

Except that is a blindside hit when you hit someone from an area that they cannot see you. Unless he has the vision of a bird then there is no way he could have seen Brown coming. Also, if Antti wasn't in his follow through Brown would have hit the backside of his left shoulder as his body would never have turned to the left.

I love that you are not allowed to hit when you back check. Great rules NHL.

I can see why it was called that way on the ice, the head did snap back. But that was not a targeted hit to the head. If this gets Brown suspended I'll be very disappointed.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. There's a 99% chance he will get suspended.

Isn't that exactly what they are trying to stop?, looked like a blind side head shot to me, at first i thought the guy who potentially charged/boarded, was getting ejected and i thought that was BS, but the hit by brown is definately ejection worthy

I agree

I think most people would be singing a different tune about this ejection if it was Kronwall on the back check tagging a guy.

Seriously this new rule is going to be a piss off, they should have left the rule the way it was and used intent to injure as the guiding principle then hits like Cooke on Savard could still be penalized, but hits like this that was just a hard back check and a body check wouldn't be.

These guys are paid millions of dollars, if they dont wanna be in a profession where they may get hit then they should do something else, Brown should be able to make that hit 10 times out of 10, I dont care if anti didn't see him coming keep your head on a swivel or youll get hit. Simple hockey

So there aren't going to be any open ice hits because players are concerned about the chance that in a fraction of a second the opponent's position can move and you'll be out of the game and possibly more?

I can't see why there aren't more fans concerned about this aspect of the situation.

I think most people would be singing a different tune about this ejection if it was Kronwall on the back check tagging a guy.

Seriously this new rule is going to be a piss off, they should have left the rule the way it was and used intent to injure as the guiding principle then hits like Cooke on Savard could still be penalized, but hits like this that was just a hard back check and a body check wouldn't be.

These guys are paid millions of dollars, if they dont wanna be in a profession where they may get hit then they should do something else, Brown should be able to make that hit 10 times out of 10, I dont care if anti didn't see him coming keep your head on a swivel or youll get hit. Simple hockey

the cooke hit and probably the richards hit were the only two that should apply to this rule, i think it should only apply to hit where 100% contact to the head is made, so far the Cooke one is the only one where that has occurred.

Except that is a blindside hit when you hit someone from an area that they cannot see you. Unless he has the vision of a bird then there is no way he could have seen Brown coming. Also, if Antti wasn't in his follow through Brown would have hit the backside of his left shoulder as his body would never have turned to the left.

Aren't all hits from behind "blindside" hits? A blindside hit isn't the problem, it's blindside hits that target the head. Hitting a player in the middle of the numbers in open ice is fine.

I don't know why they can't just have it like anything else and call it a minor penalty if it looks like a head shot and call a major if it is clearly obvious. Any further punishment if a true headshot can be dealt with through suspensions after the fact. That way, when refs get it wrong, which I'm fine with because it will be very difficult to assess, which is clear as day since you still have people arguing over slow mo replays. That way, if the ref got it wrong, all you have is a 2 min minor, not 5 and a game.

how? if it is the wrong call, it is the wrong call, the kings got shafted by losing their captain for half of the game because of the poor call on the ice

WRONG SIR!..

That call was a call that should of been made... Was there contact to the head? YES! the rule is this Illegal Check to the Head – A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact is not permitted. and there is only one penalty for the infraction. 5 min major and automatic game misconduct.

the Ref made the call as he saw it... Good Call Ref :thumbup:.

The Kings got shafted because their Captain went and put a Illegal Check to the Head on a player who could not see it coming. HE shafted his own team.