• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jollymania

Brown Gets ejected for clean hit

Rate this topic

I think the refs got the call right. Brown definately made contact with Mietinen's head, but Mietinen also could see it coming. I don't think that is suspension worthy especially since he didn't get hurt. I really hope he doesn't get a suspension though because he is on my fantasy team ;)

Watch the video leading up to the screenshot its pretty obvious...

"a lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact."

Pretty sure this hit falls under that category. I my self am a fan of more aggressive hockey but seriously how can people argue this call with the new rule?

in the video you can see the shoulder contacted, i conveniently posted an arrow in the video as well to point out th e#s on the jersey, if you look closely his head snaps back before brown's shoulder hits it

Guest Stolberg

Watch the video leading up to the screenshot its pretty obvious...

so obvious that everyone seems to have a slightly different take on it

Seriously guys, how can anyone watch that first video and think the contact was made to the head first? The hit is CLEARLY shoulder-to-shoulder and Brown kept his elbow down. Also, as was previously mentioned, if that was a hit to the head he would have been down for a while.

in the video you can see the shoulder contacted, i conveniently posted an arrow in the video as well to point out th e#s on the jersey, if you look closely his head snaps back before brown's shoulder hits it

Watch from the 1 min mark. Its a much better angle. Brown at most brushed the jersey on Miettinen shoulder before hitting him in the side of the head.

I think jones and olczyk got it right. the ref made the right call because at full speed it looked dirty. but after slowing it down, the hit appears less questionable. there is not clear contact with the head and its even debatable if brown was behind him at the time.

Watch from the 1 min mark. Its a much better angle. Brown at most brushed the jersey on Miettinen shoulder before hitting him in the side of the head.

all of the contact is made to shoulder, youre seeing things

@ the OP... The end of the NHL? sounds a little drastic...lol

as we know it, as in if normal hits are penalized we are in trouble

1288063955.gif

maybe the edge of miettinen's chinny chin chin was brushed but it looks like pure shoulder to shoulder

just look at the angle that miettinen's head goes, it is unrelated to brown's shoulder, while the shoulder of miettinen mirrors it perfectly

1288064239.jpg

this picture shows where primary contact was made

Looks more like shoulder to shoulder in slow motion replays. Tough for a ref to make that call live since it looks like solid contact to the head, but I don't think the league should hand out a suspension after looking at replays.

This is the key right here. We are looking at frames of a video. The refs see it at full speed. It was close enough to the rule to warrant the call. It looked like both refs were making the call, so they both saw it the same.

I think jones and olczyk got it right. the ref made the right call because at full speed it looked dirty. but after slowing it down, the hit appears less questionable. there is not clear contact with the head and its even debatable if brown was behind him at the time.

I never thought I would ever agree with someone who agreed with those two clowns, but they are exactly right. The refs made the right call based on what they saw, Miettenen was in a vulnerable position, Brown was approaching laterally, and the follow through on the hit caused Miettenen's head to snap back, I don't think anyone can question the call on the ice. However, if the league decides that hit is worthy of suspension after reviewing it carefully, that is another story.

This is the key right here. We are looking at frames of a video. The refs see it at full speed. It was close enough to the rule to warrant the call. It looked like both refs were making the call, so they both saw it the same.

take the decision away form the refs, they have already shown in this hit and the letang one that they are too incompetent to call this particular play at game speed

all of the contact is made to shoulder, youre seeing things

as we know it, as in if normal hits are penalized we are in trouble

1288063955.gif

maybe the edge of miettinen's chinny chin chin was brushed but it looks like pure shoulder to shoulder

just look at the angle that miettinen's head goes, it is unrelated to brown's shoulder, while the shoulder of miettinen mirrors it perfectly

Miettinen head snaps back when the purple shoulder patch is right next to his head. Which makes it look like he got hit in the head with a shoulder.

You can also see how

1288064239.jpg

this picture shows where primary contact was made

From this picture it looks like Brown is about to hit him in the head with a shoulder. Cant even tell if contact was made yet.

1288065950.gif

Even if Brown did catch a little piece of his shoulder he still hit Miettinen in the side of the head but what ever.

Edited by Original-Six

I love that you are not allowed to hit when you back check. Great rules NHL.

I can see why it was called that way on the ice, the head did snap back. But that was not a targeted hit to the head. If this gets Brown suspended I'll be very disappointed.

I think the refs got the call right. Brown definately made contact with Mietinen's head, but Mietinen also could see it coming. I don't think that is suspension worthy especially since he didn't get hurt. I really hope he doesn't get a suspension though because he is on my fantasy team ;)

I know we see this all the time, but I really don't think suspensions should be determined by whether or not a player gets hurt. Dirty plays should be punished, clean plays should not.

A boarding major and a game misconduct is plenty enough discipline for that hit. I'd be beside myself if Brown is slapped with a fine or suspension.

Boarding?? Are you discussing the same hit as everyone else?

Edited by roboturner

It's easy for us armchair referees to make the call while watching it in frame-by-frame video. The refs have to make that call from what they see in a split second while also watching the rest of the game going on in front of them. Also, remember that the league is in their ears about calling these kind of penalties. So, add a guy in a vulnerable position, plus a guy coming at him laterally, plus contact from a shoulder to or near the head equals someone's out of the game.

There is going to be a learning curve with this rule for a while, and we're going to see guys booted for perfectly good hits. And probably guys not penalized for actual head shots that should be. I see in the future that these calls will end up going to The War Room to be decided, slowing the pace of play down even more.

Remember that these rules were put in place to help protect players, ( and owners investments in them ). That's supposed to be a good thing.

Also when I saw the thread title, the first thing I thought was, Mike Brown, and thought go figure.

Edited by BigWillieStyle

There is going to be a learning curve with this rule for a while, and we're going to see guys booted for perfectly good hits. And probably guys not penalized for actual head shots that should be. I see in the future that these calls will end up going to The War Room to be decided, slowing the pace of play down even more.

Remember that these rules were put in place to help protect players, ( and owners investments in them ). That's supposed to be a good thing.

So... This isn't the end of the NHL?

A boarding major and a game misconduct is plenty enough discipline for that hit. I'd be beside myself if Brown is slapped with a fine or suspension.

Boarding? On an open ice hit? You fail.

Anyway, it's unclear from replay where the primary contact of the hit was made. However, here are the most important facts:

-Brown was approaching from the front.

-Miettinen was shooting as Brown hit him, and after gliding into the zone he had used his left skate to stop as he received the puck; watch the replay.

Brown was trying to hit what had been a moving target, but that target stopped.

Ultimately, though, Brown hit him from the front with a tucked shoulder. Whether that hits his head or his shoulder or his chest or his belly button, it's a clean hit. It's not Brown's fault if Miettinen puts his head in a dangerous position, and it's not a dirty hit if that happens.

Clean hit.

anyone think that the game being on verses might have anything to do with the call?

Let the people watching ("national audience") see that they are taking hits to the head seriously?

as for the hit, 50/50 if it was dirty. i think the hit that happens at the start of the video is worse.

It's really hard to call this hit, even in slow motion. I agree with the refs because at full speed, it definitely looks dirty. I would say it was unintentional, but it does LOOK like after hitting the shoulder, he hit the head on the follow through.