• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

TB won in OT, putting the Leafs in 12th. I hate to tell Leaf fans, "I told you so", but that's where I picked them at the beginning of the season, as mentioned many times already. They just don't have that star player, or two, that can lead them out of a slump and in the stretch drive.

I'm on record saying when Burke took over they wouldn't make the playoffs for 5 years, this is year 4. Unless Burke can make a big trade in the off season, they still won't have that star player they so desperately need for 2012-13. Add to that, what star player would agree to a trade to Toronto? Now they're in that middle of the pack for the draft, so they can't get a star in the draft, unless they finish in the bottom 3 again. Burke has no patience, won't allow that to happen, and is content trying to finish 8th, so the Leafs are stuck finishing in the middle as long as Burke is in charge. With that said, I don't see the Leafs making the playoffs for a few more seasons now either. It's a horrible situation.

I've/We've beaten this to death, but that Kessel deal was awful. Hall or Seguin are both going to be much better players, who they had a chance to get, but Burke screwed the franchise.

Makes me glad to be a Red Wings fan.

Burke has no patience

This is one of his biggest problems. Its the same issue Philly has had for 20 years - every year that they don't win the cup they feel like they've got to blow the team up (although at least Philly have always been a playoff team whilst doing it).

Anyway, this could be Burke's last throw of the dice - it certainly should be. The one area where he has shown patience and loyalty (his coach), he gives him a contract extension then fires him a few months later.....

Burke just blew $1 mill or more, whatever his one year extension was to his buddy Wilson. Stupid of him to give him extension before Christmas when he hasn't done anything. Having said that, there are so many ex-coaches still living on their contract pay and then get a new job. Does this mean that Carlyle he is getting paid both by Anaheim (whatever his contract was) and Leafs?

but Burke was supposed to be the best GM out there who only builds winning franchises....

I can't stand Burke and his love for flashlights. looks like he'll go down in the very best place to do so - Toronto. there won't be shortage of flashes and media attention when he's fired next season...

gotta say... loving every minute of this situation. this team has been atrocious for years - too bad to reach the playoffs, to proud to admin being bad and tank the season for a high draft pick. and I'm sure they won't pull a decent losing streak for the rest of 2011-12 but do their best to finish 9th.

Toronto Maple Laughs. epic fail written all over it.

plus: it's great fun to follow Toronto Sports Network how their tune changed from "this is the year" in the beginning of the season to the current doom and gloom.

Edited by akustyk

I don't see this team getting better any time soon. I think they will show flashes of positive play, from time to time. But will stay consistently in the lower half of the eastern conference. To many bad trades, poor drafting, and consistently over paying marginal payers. All this comes down, not on the players, but the management. Why Leafs ownership, old or new, has allowed this to occur for many years now is unbelievable.

Well since it was the 2nd overall pick - it's gotta be Kessel vs Seguin, but I yet haven't announced a winner just yet since neither has hit their respective peak (although I agree with you that Seguin will probably have more upside)...

I can see by next year how the deal will go in the Bruins favor. The Leafs will miss the playoffs this year and next, while Seguin becomes the Bruins best player. Seguin is already only 2 point behind the team lead in points, and is leading the League in +/-. If Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight become solid NHL players too, it'll be a nightmare for Burke.

I'd be surprised if Burke last through next year. I can't stand the Leafs, and I've had enough of the guy.

Seguin is already only 2 point behind the team lead in points, and is leading the League in +/-. If Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight become solid NHL players too, it'll be a nightmare for Burke.

Having said that, if Seguin actually ended up in a Leafs uniform, I sincerely doubt he'd be putting up those numbers because:

1. Seguin has some pretty good players to skate with in Boston.

2. Toronto doesn't know how to grow and mature young talent (eg. Schenn, Kadri, etc.)

Edited by RedWingsRox

Wow, anyone see Coaches Corner?

Cherry just blasted Burke for having no Ontario born players, he was straight pissed. Then it got personal about how Burke went behind his back to tried to get him fired from CBC.

I missed this, I'm not surprised they have a beef. They both talk a lot of smack, but Cherry I have some respect for, even if he is an old f**K. Burke on the other hand, i'm not a big fan probably because of that Ducks team he built. I personally think Burke's method of building teams doesn't work in today's NHL, which is why he's failing in Toronto.

Leafs lose again. This free fall is legendary! I've never seen anything like it before! A month ago they were in 6th, and local sports talk hosts were thinking they had a shot at 4th (which I thought was insane!). Now they're only 3 points out of 14th!

With the way things are going, 14th could happen, and they'll be 27th in the entire league. Hey at least they'll get a decent draft pick. With the way the franchise is going right now, unless Burke make another trade :lol: , that may not be a bad thing. The draft will be the best way to get a Center for Kessel.