• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

Reading through a thread at HF Boards, I got to thinking - do Leaf fans, as fans of a proud Original 6 Franchise, deserve better than what they've been getting? Horrible management, mediocre at best teams, horrible trades/signings and MLSE's only motivation being for profit hasn't stopped the fans from coming to games or buying merchandise. Of course, fans are enjoying watching their failures, many Wings fans among them.

I don't like the Leafs as much as the next guy, but I can't help but feel the smallest portion of pity for what their fans endure compared to Detroit fans. I sure don't feel bad for the team, but to the Leaf fans who are starving for a winner (not the cocky, entitled fans), I do to a certain extent.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

I think they might be the most loyal fans in the league, and Leafs fans are absolutely nuts about their team. I think they deserve better.

Edited by cjm502, 16 November 2010 - 04:28 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

There are reasons for and agianst
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#4 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

Yep.

Pretty much the same as, do Lions fans deserve better? I believe so.

#5 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,244 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

Absolutely they deserve better. A long-standing, once proud franchise is in the pits of despair with no discernible way out. Much like the Hawks, once they regain some of their former glory it's back on the Public Enemy list, but for now they deserve our compassion.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#6 Winger19

Winger19

LET'S GO RED WINGS

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

They live and die with their team. They definitely deserve better. The Leafs fans that I know are fiercely loyal, but unfortunately accept the fact that they're a mediocre team.

#7 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

As the guy above said, us lions fans deserve better too. It is hard to root for a teams that you know will let you down year after year. They absolutely deserve better.

#8 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hey - without losers there couldn't be winners, so I thank them.

works every time

#9 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

Yep.

Pretty much the same as, do Lions fans deserve better? I believe so.

This. How can I not say they deserve better when I know for a fact that I deserve better as a Lions fan.

Edited by Broken 16, 16 November 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#10 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

I feel bad for the fans.
They continue to support that franchise in ways unimaginable* to me.

I do not understand how the franchise has been able to string together so many bad choices for leadership on and off the ice.

I'm not a huge fan of Burke, but for the fan's sake... I wish him all the luck.
I think he did the franchise and the fans a disservice by trying to make the team better NOW with the Kessel trade.

*Note: I did start following the Wings during the "Dead Wings" era, but Yzerman was playing and that was enough for me. The Leafs don't have that.

EDIT: Not a Lion's fan. Matt Millen lasted two or three seasons longer than I could stand to continue watching them.

Edited by e_prime, 16 November 2010 - 06:15 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#11 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

The funny thing is, perhaps it's the blind loyalty that is keeping the leafs down. If these people wouldn't be so ready to still pay big money for tickets and everything else despite chronically being known as "Loserville," perhaps the financial pressure might force some changes to be made. To me, it's dumb to want to pay for an inferior product year after year. So no, maybe Leafs fans don't deserve better.
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#12 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

Feel bad for Leafs fans but not for Burke. He was so arrogant after winning the cup and was routinely mocking Kevin Lowe for running his team into the ground.

#13 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

The funny thing is, perhaps it's the blind loyalty that is keeping the leafs down. If these people wouldn't be so ready to still pay big money for tickets and everything else despite chronically being known as "Loserville," perhaps the financial pressure might force some changes to be made. To me, it's dumb to want to pay for an inferior product year after year. So no, maybe Leafs fans don't deserve better.

This times 1,967
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 cjm502

cjm502

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

So what you are saying is they love their hockey and their team so much it in fact makes them stupid? They happen to be that much more passionate than you, so they deserve to lose? That makes tons of sense.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

As someone who lives in one of the west Toronto 'burbs, I have enjoyed the post lockout playoffs. I haven't had to deal with any loud mouth Leafs fans in April-May since 2004.

My Leaf fan friends don't want to talk playoffs, and that's fine with me.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#16 cjm502

cjm502

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

Feel bad for Leafs fans but not for Burke. He was so arrogant after winning the cup and was routinely mocking Kevin Lowe for running his team into the ground.

Burke is an idiot. Phaneuf, Giguere, and Lebda. Absolutely horrible contracts/trades.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

Reminds me of the Knicks. A sports radio guy on once had a great quote about them saying: "they are the greatest franchise in sports because year in and year out they get their fans excited believing they have a shot, even just a little chance, when they really don't."

works every time

#18 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

So what you are saying is they love their hockey and their team so much it in fact makes them stupid? They happen to be that much more passionate than you, so they deserve to lose? That makes tons of sense.

I think fans should make the team accountable to them. If they don't win, they shouldn't go, I think it's that simple. Teams in the same city should be in a position where they are competing against each other for the fans, and being on the front page of the paper.

Unfortunately for Toronto, I think they have two major problems they can't get out of. 1) they haven't had a winner since the Blue Jays in 1993, and 2) there's to much corporate money in Toronto, and it's the corporations they buy all the Leaf tickets.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#19 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

That being said, Habs fans nearly burned the city to the ground after they won one playoff series.

Imagine what Leaf fans would do to Toronto if the Leafs won the Cup.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#20 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,244 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

That being said, Habs fans nearly burned the city to the ground after they won one playoff series.

Imagine what Leaf fans would do to Toronto if the Leafs won the Cup.

That would be what is known as a win/win situation; Leafs win the Cup - *poof* no more Leafs fans. :)

Yeah, that really worked for Chicago, didn't it? <_<
Times didn't get better until there was a change in ownership.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011