• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

I haven't done the forum thing before during the playoffs, but seriously...

Is this the normal idiocy that goes on? Like if another player was in the same boat it'd be:

"Oh, Datsyuk took a couple penalties and hasn't scored yet this round! GrrRRRRRr!!!! He totally f***in sucks!!ONE1!!! Kick him off the team IMMEDIATELY!!! Hes a BUM!!!1!!11"

Ridiculous.

Like I said before, get a grip guys...

I guess someones always gotta be the scapegoat though....such is life.

#22 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

he wont be going anywhere dont get your hopes up
Posted Image

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

This guy has gotten mixed reviews from day 1. Some love him, others hate. Personally, I've never been a fan. Sure, he knocks a guy down once in a while, something that (sadly) is a rarity for this team, but he's also a turn over machine and contributes very little to offense. He also can't seem to win ANY puck battles for the life of him. Yet, people will continue to defend him here cause he's the sole source of any "grit" this team has. Anyway, considering he's simply been god awful this series, what do you think? Sit for playoffs? Cut him in the off-season?

My response will be to laugh at you for your all-too-typical knee-jerk response to his play over the last whopping two games. How many times have we seen this from you? Your reaction to Holland's decisions at the 2008 trade deadline comes to mind.

Edited by Crymson, 01 May 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#24 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

The penalties he's taken have nothing to do with my reservations about him. I mean, he was great against Nashville a while ago, because of two things - a combination of good physical forechecking and offensive production, ie, 2 goals. It's easy to look great with 2 goals to your name.

I wish Abs was used as a bonafide fourth-liner. I want him to attempt to emulate Dallas Drake '08. I know that might be difficult, but I think he could do it.

I actually think Babcock has too great a manlove for him at this moment in time. He is really lacking in offensive skill, and I think Babs puts him in positions that are elevated to his ability. He's been playing him center half the time and presumably he's expected to put up some decent offense (Surely center on 2nd or 3rd lines with the Wings would mean as much?) But he's looked far better as a winger, IMO.

IMO, he should be with Helm and Eaves on a line and told to hit, hit, hit, and deal with whatever transpires from that physical game. Be it scoring chances or rough stuff.

In his defense, I don't think Helm has been much better than him the last two games (the penalties apart) and that's a big worry (considering our 'top' 2 lines)

I wouldn't scratch Abdelkader. I'd play him 4th line, and expect him to hit like blazes. Miller's been even more invisible this series, so I'd probably give Modano a chance and hope for the best.

#25 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

Here's what you do...

Take him out back with the shotgun and tell the kids that he went to a poodle farm to learn some toughness.

OK, I like Abby, but this is both hilarious and possibly workable. :lol:

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

Keep him.

High sticking penalties stink but 9 times out of 10 they are incidental/accidental.

More Abdelkader, less knee-jerk reactions and scapegoating. If you don't like my response, well, sorry, tough s**t.

#27 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

Uh, Fil is tied with Homer for second most points on the team in the playoffs, bro.

You might want to pick on someone that's actually sucking, like Franzen or Abdelkader (who's -3).

Some people... :rolleyes:

Franzen is playing hurt so that's hardly fair. Besides, Fil accumulated those points against a Phoenix team with no talent whatsoever to match the Red Wings at forward. Now against more skilled opponents, it is pretty clear the only forwards on this team that can produce anything offensively through two games are Datsyuk and Zetterberg. And for someone "sucking" Franzen was the only one that generated any semblance of a scoring chance on that line today.

I wouldn't be opposed to Abdelkader sitting, but our best players to be the best players. Justin Abdelkader isn't going to make or break this series. Production or lack thereof from our top six forwards is.

#28 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

As I said in the GDT, we need to get rid of this guy.

He doesn't do anything that can't be replaced by guys that do it much better. He should be trying to hit everything with a Sharks jersey out there. Instead, the only physicality he's shown involves high sticking people.

Your hate for Abby is pretty funny. Just because you came into this season expecting him to fight 10 times and be the next coming of Mccarty doesn't mean hes completely useless.

He has been used in roles he probably shouldnt have been but he did shut down Doan pretty well. When he is played on the wing and not given center responsibilities is whe nhe is playing physical and contributes on the scoreboard.

But yeah youre right, we should cut a 23 year old player who would normally be playing his rookie NHL season just htis season without ridiculous injuries last year.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,159 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Your hate for Abby is pretty funny. Just because you came into this season expecting him to fight 10 times and be the next coming of Mccarty doesn't mean hes completely useless.

He has been used in roles he probably shouldnt have been but he did shut down Doan pretty well. When he is played on the wing and not given center responsibilities is whe nhe is playing physical and contributes on the scoreboard.

But yeah youre right, we should cut a 23 year old player who would normally be playing his rookie NHL season just htis season without ridiculous injuries last year.

There are a few guys on this team who are irreplaceable.

He's not one of them. I don't see anything wrong with exploring other options.

And where did you get the idea that he shut down Doan? Or that a 23 year old forward should normally be playing his rookie season? :unsure:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#30 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

I haven't done the forum thing before during the playoffs, but seriously...

Is this the normal idiocy that goes on? Like if another player was in the same boat it'd be:

"Oh, Datsyuk took a couple penalties and hasn't scored yet this round! GrrRRRRRr!!!! He totally f***in sucks!!ONE1!!! Kick him off the team IMMEDIATELY!!! Hes a BUM!!!1!!11"

Ridiculous.

Like I said before, get a grip guys...

I guess someones always gotta be the scapegoat though....such is life.

The thing is Abdelkader is not half as good as Datsyuk. In all honesty Abdelkader is hurting us more than helping us right now.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 DMAC 25

DMAC 25

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

i normally would say give him some more time but at this point we dont have time, we're two games away from having an early vacation, i'm up for sittin him down the rest of the series and trying something new

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

There are a few guys on this team who are irreplaceable.

He's not one of them. I don't see anything wrong with exploring other options.

And where did you get the idea that he shut down Doan? Or that a 23 year old forward should normally be playing his rookie season? :unsure:

The fact that every single wings prospect spends til the age of 23 in the minors basically until his elc runs out. Very few guys dont spend less time than that in GR.

I never said he wasnt irreplaceable , but you said he is completely useless and that we should just cut him. That is far from true, he was still our biggest hitting forward this season and dropped the gloves from time to time. This is his first full year in the show and definitely shouldnt be just cut because hes useless (which is a pretty big exaggeration)

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 jeffrey

jeffrey

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:59 PM

that line 2 has not generated any offense the whole playoffs. Why because of ABBY!!!
Bertuzzi 1 goal 2 assist
Cleary 1 goal 2 assist
ABDELKADER 6 GP 0 goals 0 assist PLUS/MINUS -3 12 PIM

6 games for a 2nd line?!?!?!
lol probably the most unproductive 2nd line in the playoffs

Put someone there who deserves it like helm he has dominated consistently regardless of who he plays with and even though he didn't score on that breakaway in game 2 at least he created an opportunity by himself on the PK.

Scratch hudler and miller
put abby on line 4 where he belongs so he can throw a big hit every now and then for momentum.

Edited by jeffrey, 02 May 2011 - 12:06 AM.

#34 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:17 AM

that line 2 has not generated any offense the whole playoffs. Why because of ABBY!!!
Bertuzzi 1 goal 2 assist
Cleary 1 goal 2 assist
ABDELKADER 6 GP 0 goals 0 assist PLUS/MINUS -3 12 PIM

6 games for a 2nd line?!?!?!
lol probably the most unproductive 2nd line in the playoffs

Put someone there who deserves it like helm he has dominated consistently regardless of who he plays with and even though he didn't score on that breakaway in game 2 at least he created an opportunity by himself on the PK.

Scratch hudler and miller
put abby on line 4 where he belongs so he can throw a big hit every now and then for momentum.

Pretty sure EVERYONE has played 6 games. Not sure how that has ANYTHING to do with anything.

#35 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:29 AM

Uh, Fil is tied with Homer for second most points on the team in the playoffs, bro.

You might want to pick on someone that's actually sucking, like Franzen or Abdelkader (who's -3).

Some people... :rolleyes:

What has he done against the Sharks ? Coyotes are not even close to the team the Sharks are, when Sharks size comes into effect Flip can't handle the second line role, hes not good enough. Imagine against Vancouver ? Kesler would absolutely eat him alive.

#36 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

Can someone remind me of the great play of Mule, Miller, or Eaves this series? Abby is the scapegoat here for a list of players who aren't showing up.

#37 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

Can someone remind me of the great play of Mule, Miller, or Eaves this series? Abby is the scapegoat here for a list of players who aren't showing up.

I agree. Abby hasn't played great but the reason he is the scapegoat is because of the high sticking penalties primarily rather than his lack of offense. I know the high stick penalties were back but they accidentally happen to all players. Neither was as dumb a penalty as Raffy's delay of game. Sometimes it just happens.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#38 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

Abby needs to be more careful with his stick end of story.. Where has Hudler been? Maybe it's time for him to sit
IPB Image

#39 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

All I know is I saw no blood on his 4 minute call. I don't understand why no one is pissed off at Bertuzzi then for taking that stupid boarding call that allowed SJ to tie game one?! There is the goat.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#40 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

What would this site do if they couldn't blamde someone??

This is a joke, guys. These threads come out once most of the team is playing weak and when they are all firing like last round, nobody would even post about such things. It's a cute game but I still think it's McCrimmon, right?? Or Lang, one of the two.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.