• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Hockey Hall of Fame - Class of 2011 - Your Call

Rate this topic

just curious but is there a certain level of league they can't be playing in or what?

I mean....what if Hasek's like 80 and playing in some random really low level professional league? because I could actually see something like that happening :lol:

They can't be playing any level of professional hockey.

No way Lindros should get in, IMO.

You don't get inducted for what your career SHOULD have been.

For the most part, I agree, but if Neely is in, I think it makes zero sense for Lindros not to be. In my opinion, Lindros was a much better player, dominated the league for a period time (Neely never came close to that) and actually accomplished more in the NHL than Neely (points, awards).

Edit - the stats are actually pretty glaringly different.

Lindros - 1.14ppg, 1.36 before signficant injuries (he's always had other injuries through his entire career)

Neely - 0.96pg, 0.89 before signficant injury (his ppg actually improved afterward)

Also, take into account that Neely played during a higher scoring era.

Edited by toby91_ca

For the most part, I agree, but if Neely is in, I think it makes zero sense for Lindros not to be. In my opinion, Lindros was a much better player, dominated the league for a period time (Neely never came close to that) and actually accomplished more in the NHL than Neely (points, awards).

I don't think Neely should be in either. Its true there is the precedent, but I'd rather they leave it at that. If they start inducting every 700+ point player, then... what's the point of the HoF?

Edit - the stats are actually pretty glaring different.

Lindros - 1.14ppg, 1.36 before signficant injuries (he's always had other injuries through his entire career)

Neely - 0.96pg, 0.89 before signficant injury (his ppg actually improved afterward)

Also, take into account that Neely played during a higher scoring era.

Before Boston traded for Adam Oates, Neely scored 255 goals in 564 games. After Boston picked up Oates, Neely scored 140 goals in 162 games.

That said, Neely was named a Second-Team All-Star four times and had three fifty-goal seasons, and scored 395 goals in only 726 games - one of the best goals-per-game ratings of all time. So he's definitely got an argument.

Lindros, however, was a dominant player from his entry into the league, and only at the tail end of his career with the Rangers and Leafs did he play with a high-scoring future Hall-of-Famer, and those players were not in their prime either. Both Neely and Oates were in their primes in the early 90s in Boston.

Pavel Bure

Doug Gilmour

Joe Nieuwendyk

Dave Andreychuk

I endorse this list, but I would bet either Doug or Joe gets replaced by Ed.

Not saying he deserves to, that guy was kinda a sieve. Or that is at least what my dad always yelled at the games...

I endorse this list, but I would bet either Doug or Joe gets replaced by Ed.

Not saying he deserves to, that guy was kinda a sieve. Or that is at least what my dad always yelled at the games...

I think they'll make Belfour wait a year or two, given his off-ice antics.

Makarov

Barrasso

Nieuwendyk

Howe (red colored glasses, so sue me)

Butsayev, Hodson, Kuznetsov, Golubovsky.

See, Sergei Bautin gets no love here and this chain smoking defenseman should be the mascot for LGW.

I guess they went with Nieuwendyk's goals/Stanley Cups/Conn Smythe over Oates points.

I never said he should get in instead of Nieuwendyk.

And ultimately I'm glad Howe got in, but I would've taken Oates before him. Hull, Bondra and Neely all owe Oates big thanks. For much of his career Oates was the best playmaking center not named Gretzky.

I never said he should get in instead of Nieuwendyk.

And ultimately I'm glad Howe got in, but I would've taken Oates before him. Hull, Bondra and Neely all owe Oates big thanks. For much of his career Oates was the best playmaking center not named Gretzky.

No, I know. But most comments I have read elsewhere have been tearing the Nieuwendyk selection apart.

I was a little too young when Howe was in his prime to really comment on his selection.

Edited by MacK_Attack

No, I know. But most comments I have read elsewhere have been tearing the Nieuwendyk selection apart.

Yeah. He's got some good achievements. The Cups and the Conn Smythe. I can see some criticism though because I don't really think of Nieuwendyk as dominant. If you're using that as a major criteria then you could make a case for Oates going in before him.

He's a bubble player that I would've expected to have to wait a bit longer to get in.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Anyone surprised Andreychuk didn't get in with his 600+ goals?

With Dino and Joe in now I'd say Andreychuk is guaranteed to make it in, but I think there are still a lot of better prospects waiting - Makarov, Oates, Barrasso, Vachon, Brewer, Tremblay, Bure and Lindros

Next year Sakic and Shanahan... Sundin.

Here's the list of first-time eligible candidates:

- Ed Belfour

- Trevor Linden

- Glen Wesley

The remaining candidates:

- Joe Nieuwendyk

- Doug Gilmour

- Pavel Bure

- Alex Mogilny

- Eric Lindros

- Adam Oates

- John LeClair

- Phil Housley

- Theo Fleury

- Guy Carbonneau

- Dave Andreychuk

- Tom Barrasso

- Sergei Makarov

- Mark Howe

To consider, on the door-step in 2012:

- Mats Sundin

- Jeremy Roenick

- Brendan Shanahan

- Gary Roberts

- Claude Lemieux

- Olaf Kozig

- Markus Naslund

- Joe Sakic

- Curtis Joseph

Who would you pick, given four choices?

:blink: How is it that Pavel Bure is on the nomination list, yet Fedorov isn't? Fedorov did more and scored more than Bure OR Mogilny or Makarov...

Guest Hatethedrake!

:blink: How is it that Pavel Bure is on the nomination list, yet Fedorov isn't? Fedorov did more and scored more than Bure OR Mogilny or Makarov...

I don't think Feds has been retired long enough yet. Actually he is stil playing in Russia isn't he? He is a 1st ballot HOFer though when he is eligible.