• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Wings re-sign Ericsson to 3-year, $9.75m contract

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Ericsson gets modified NTC per cap geeks twitter.

its gets worse and worse.

I just was going to post this too......... OMG what a bad deal.

Ericsson gets modified NTC per cap geeks twitter.

its gets worse and worse.

"Modified NTC"... means what exactly? We've seen over the last few weeks that the NTC is virtually worthless at detering a trade (does anyone believe Brian Campbell wanted to go to Florida?). GM's seem very comfortable burying players in the minors now. So the reality seems to be this:

If a GM wants to get rid of a player with a NTC they can give them these options:

A) Take this trade to the following NHL team with whom I have a deal in place,

B) Go through waivers and have any team choose you (with priority going to the worst teams)

or

C) Pass through waivers and end up playing in the AHL where you'll be riding the bus for 6 hours to your back-to-back-to-back road games

Given any of those options a player is going pick A but if they're fine with B/C the GM will be too.

What would be scary is if it was a NMC (no movement clause). A NTC doesn't prevent waiving players.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Ericsson showed tremendous promise when called up from the Grand Rapids Griffins late in the 2008-09 season and had a strong playoff run.

But he has struggled with many issues since then. He has been mistake-prone and has lacked consistency.

Still, the Red Wings believe Ericsson has tremendous potential and didn’t want to lose him for nothing to free agency. General manager Ken Holland does not believe he overpaid for him.

"It’s the going rate, if you look at what’s happened (in free agency). If Big E’s on the market he would have gotten more money," Holland said. "As we’ve seen (with some of Friday’s signings), everybody covets defensemen. His best years are ahead of him."

Holland still is searching for a top-four defenseman through free agency or a trade. If he doesn’t land one, Ericsson will fill that role.

Babcock said he hadn’t decided who Ericsson will be paired with or whether he would be used on the power play.

This is directly from our GM and Coach. See, we are looking for a top 4 d-man still, so everyone can stop freaking out and assume that we are sitting on our hands or that Commy was the only intended Defensive move. I'm confident Holland will do everything in his power to bring in a top 4 that MAKES SENSE. If Ericsson is it, than there will be a lot of pressure on him to perform and step up. Holland is right about the going rate and that Ericsson could have probably gotten somewhat more on the bloated market. Dallas really wanted him, I remember reading.

If this is it for our Defense, than we'll have some options next off-season or at the trade deadline perhaps.

This is directly from our GM and Coach. See, we are looking for a top 4 d-man still, so everyone can stop freaking out and assume that we are sitting on our hands or that Commy was the only intended Defensive move. I'm confident Holland will do everything in his power to bring in a top 4 that MAKES SENSE. If Ericsson is it, than there will be a lot of pressure on him to perform and step up. Holland is right about the going rate and that Ericsson could have probably gotten somewhat more on the bloated market. Dallas really wanted him, I remember reading.

If this is it for our Defense, than we'll have some options next off-season or at the trade deadline perhaps.

Yandle please!

Everyone keeps saying this like it's a defense of the signing. If he could make more elsewhere, LET HIM GO MAKE MORE ELSEWHERE! I see the point of the going rate for defensemen, but anyone who thinks theres even a tiny chance Big E fills Rafalski's shoes (successfully) in the Top 2 is delirious. I know Holland said he's still looking, but that "we could always just rely on Ericsson for our Top 2 replacement" quote sounds an awful lot like "this is what we'll be doing since there's nobody out there."

Everyone keeps saying this like it's a defense of the signing. If he could make more elsewhere, LET HIM GO MAKE MORE ELSEWHERE! I see the point of the going rate for defensemen, but anyone who thinks theres even a tiny chance Big E fills Rafalski's shoes (successfully) in the Top 2 is delirious. I know Holland said he's still looking, but that "we could always just rely on Ericsson for our Top 2 replacement" quote sounds an awful lot like "this is what we'll be doing since there's nobody out there."

If you read what Holland has said and what I said, you'd understand that no one is stating Ericsson is replacing Rafalski. Where do you get this s***? Read! Holland is doing what he can to get a top 4 defender, but pickings are slim. If we can't, he'll expect the ENTIRE defensive unit to pick up their games to offset the loss. It is, after all, a team sport.

I'm making the best of the situation instead of bitching about it. It's called being positive and trying to see the bright side. Give it a try.

Oh, and who do you suggest we replace him with? White? Babchuk? Wizniewski was never coming here, Ehrhoff was already locked down in Buffalo. Enlighten me. The fact of the matter is that no matter what Ericsson has done to this point, he has potential. The entire management wouldn't have approved of this, otherwise. I don't agree with the way we paid him, I'd rather he prove it beforehand, but it was a risk that Holland felt we needed to take. He has faith in the guy, and I'm sure there was conversation of expectations. His contract is not too big to trade, in this market.

Edited by SwedeLundin77

Everyone keeps saying this like it's a defense of the signing. If he could make more elsewhere, LET HIM GO MAKE MORE ELSEWHERE! I see the point of the going rate for defensemen, but anyone who thinks theres even a tiny chance Big E fills Rafalski's shoes (successfully) in the Top 2 is delirious. I know Holland said he's still looking, but that "we could always just rely on Ericsson for our Top 2

replacement" quote sounds an awful lot like "this is what we'll be doing since there's nobody out there."

110% agree with everything you said.

If you read what Holland has said and what I said, you'd understand that no one is stating Ericsson is replacing Rafalski. Where do you get this s***? Read! Holland is doing what he can to get a top 4 defender, but pickings are slim. If we can't, he'll expect the ENTIRE defensive unit to pick up their games to offset the loss. It is, after all, a team sport.

I'm making the best of the situation instead of bitching about it. It's called being positive and trying to see the bright side. Give it a try.

There's a difference between being positive and sticking your head in the sand.

110% agree with everything you said.

There's a difference between being positive and sticking your head in the sand.

There has been a pattern of your peers with the same viewpoint to put down those who accept what is at hand and not provide any suggestions for how you would do things better, other than "let him walk."

I was pissed about the signing at first, but you know what, I got over it. I realized that he would command that money on the open market, and frankly, his potential matches that of Babchuk or White. We weren't going to get any big names that were young. And our trade pieces aren't that enticing at this point in time.

STOP SAYING THAT!

4191829930_2fcbe46e34.jpg

I don't believe I heard Holland or anyone say that at all.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

Dude-- no one in their right mind thinks Ericsson is Rafi's replacement.

If Rafalski hadn't retired Ericsson would've been shown the door when he asked for that price. The problem is that losing Ericsson would've represented a 50% turn over of the defensive core. That lack of continuity is very risky and not Holland's style. Once Rafi retired Holland's hand were almost tied. Replacing half your defence with unknowns who are completely unfamiliar with the team/system is very risky. The other factor here was how foolish the market's been. The cap comparables really tied Holland's hands as well. It would've been more expensive to bring a guy in at E's age, size and skill-set. Youngish, big puck-moving d-men are a coveted commodity right now.

This whole situation sucks balls but people need to remember how much cap room and time is left to sort the defence out.

STOP SAYING THAT!

4191829930_2fcbe46e34.jpg

I don't believe I heard Holland or anyone say that at all.

His exact words were, "if we don't find another top 4 defenseman, Ericsson will fill that role".

Read the article again. It's a definite possibility.

Do you "POSITIVE" people give any thought to the fact that Holland HAD THE f***IN CHANCE TO PICK UP A FEW READY TO GO DMEN FOR A BIT MORE THAN BIG F-?!?!?!?!?!

My god, Holland screwed the pooch. He just had to stick to his "method" and as such we will have one of the worst defensive squads in the last 20 years. I feel for Nicky, Im sure he was told that there would be some backup for a real push to the Cup and to hear that he could possibly be paired with Pylon, itd be like being told your new co-worker is a drooling retard that smells of s*** and piss.

Im pissed and I can tell you right now there are a few Wings fans in the northern California area that dont even want the topic brought up.

I say, TRADE HOLLAND. f***n idiot.

His exact words were, "if we don't find another top 4 defenseman, Ericsson will fill that role".

Thank you, I don't know why everyone jumped down my throat. It was written right in the article from Holland's mouth.

Top 4 is different from Top 2 as quoted by VM.

Lidstrom-Stuart-Kronwall-Rafalski/Ericsson. That's where I made that stretch. Ericsson filling a top 4 when there are already the other top 3 is the same as filling Rafalski's place. Maybe he won't be replacing Rafalski exactly in the sense that he'll be doing the same role, and maybe that's what people thought I was saying, but the reality is if E is in the Top 4 that means the Top 4 took a hit from last season, which is bad.

Oh, and who do you suggest we replace him with? White? Babchuk? Wizniewski was never coming here, Ehrhoff was already locked down in Buffalo. Enlighten me. The fact of the matter is that no matter what Ericsson has done to this point, he has potential. The entire management wouldn't have approved of this, otherwise. I don't agree with the way we paid him, I'd rather he prove it beforehand, but it was a risk that Holland felt we needed to take. He has faith in the guy, and I'm sure there was conversation of expectations. His contract is not too big to trade, in this market.

There is this crazy thing called TRADES.....

It is also very possible that holland is only saying this so that he still has the upper hand in trade/FA negotiations. He doesn't look/sound/come off as desperate and won't be taken advantage of.

Right.

As in "If we don't find another top 4 defenseman, Ericsson will fill that role..." AS A TOP FOUR DEFENSEMAN.

AS IN #4. That does not equal "Ericsson will fill Rafalski's role."

He is not saying Ericsson will fill Rafalski's role. He doesn't even come close to saying that. You guys are making a massive assumption.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Thank you, I don't know why everyone jumped down my throat. It was written right in the article from Holland's mouth.

Lidstrom-Stuart-Kronwall-Rafalski/Ericsson. That's where I made that stretch. Ericsson filling a top 4 when there are already the other top 3 is the same as filling Rafalski's place. Maybe he won't be replacing Rafalski exactly in the sense that he'll be doing the same role, and maybe that's what people thought I was saying, but the reality is if E is in the Top 4 that means the Top 4 took a hit from last season, which is bad.

Yes that's what I thought you were saying, because you kept saying he'd be taking Rafalski's place. He won't be.

I totally understand being concerned about Ericsson sliding up to the #4 spot and agree with your last statement.

Guest Heaten

Right.

As in "If we don't find another top 4 defenseman, Ericsson will fill that role..." AS A TOP FOUR DEFENSEMAN.

AS IN #4. That does not equal "Ericsson will fill Rafalski's role."

He is not saying Ericsson will fill Rafalski's role. He doesn't even come close to saying that. You guys are making a massive assumption.

^This.

Looks like the top 4 is set:

Kronwall - Stuart

Lidstrom - Ericsson

I updated my avatar :D