• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
REDHASEK

Nabokov plans to report to NYI's training camp

Rate this topic

It appears that goaltender Evgeni Nabokov is willing to play for the New York Islanders this season.

The veteran netminder told Newsday that he will report to the Islanders for the 2011-2012 campaign.

"Yes, I do plan on attending [training camp]," Nabokov said in the interview with Newsday. "Now I will have full preparation for the season."

The Islanders claimed Nabokov off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings last January, but when he failed to report, the team suspended him.

"A lot of people speculated that I didn't want to go to the organization but that's totally not true," Nabokov told Newsday.

"What made me make that decision is that I hadn't skated for a month and a half when they claimed me. They were out of the playoffs, but battling to get in and, as a goalie, I know the goalie position is important when fighting for position [in the standings]. I didn't feel that I could help them to get to the playoffs. I needed three to four weeks to get ready and the season would've been over."

The Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan native was drafted in the ninth round, 219th overall, of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft by the Sharks.

In nine NHL seasons with San Jose, Nabokov appeared in 563 games, posting a 293-178-29-37 record with a 2.39 GAA and a .912 sv%. In his final season, the 35-year-old posted a 44-16-10 record with a 2.43 GAA and led the Sharks to the Western Conference final where they were eliminated by the Chicago Blackhawks.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373039

Guest Shoreline

Nice save, but yeah, unfortunately Nabby doesn't really have much alternative thanks to certain douchewad GM's.

garth snow is a dumb a** and a loser. i feel very bad for nabby. such a great player...9th round pick...rises to stardom...never wins a cup bc he plays for the choke artists that are the sharks...dropped by SJ because of money...dropped by his KHL team.....BUT THEN! a glimmer of hope! the legendary red wings sign him just in time for him to make a glorious playoff run to his first cup!...but alas garth snow, back up goalie and chronic meth user, amazed the world by ruining everything with his less than logical pickups and signings.

It appears that goaltender Evgeni Nabokov is willing to play for the New York Islanders this season.

The veteran netminder told Newsday that he will report to the Islanders for the 2011-2012 campaign.

"Yes, I do plan on attending [training camp]," Nabokov said in the interview with Newsday. "Now I will have full preparation for the season."

The Islanders claimed Nabokov off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings last January, but when he failed to report, the team suspended him.

"A lot of people speculated that I didn't want to go to the organization but that's totally not true," Nabokov told Newsday.

"What made me make that decision is that I hadn't skated for a month and a half when they claimed me. They were out of the playoffs, but battling to get in and, as a goalie, I know the goalie position is important when fighting for position [in the standings]. I didn't feel that I could help them to get to the playoffs. I needed three to four weeks to get ready and the season would've been over."

The Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan native was drafted in the ninth round, 219th overall, of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft by the Sharks.

In nine NHL seasons with San Jose, Nabokov appeared in 563 games, posting a 293-178-29-37 record with a 2.39 GAA and a .912 sv%. In his final season, the 35-year-old posted a 44-16-10 record with a 2.43 GAA and led the Sharks to the Western Conference final where they were eliminated by the Chicago Blackhawks.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373039

So he didn't feel like he could help them get to the playoffs but presumably he thought he could help the wings win the cup? Does he think winning the cup is easy compared to making the playoffs? Yea, nice back peddling there Nabokov.

It would have been great to pick him up last season like we wanted to but thanks to an Idiot GM Named Garth Snow that wasn't a possibility. If he wants to get back in the NHL I guess this is the way he's going to have to do it. Maybe he can try to get traded to a decent team. I have not douts that the Isles will be a better team in the coming years but as of right now they aren't exactly a power-house team but I hope Nabby can have a good rest of his NHL Career.

HAH-HAH!!!

He should've just shown up last year and be done with that organization. Now he will be there for a full NHL season or until they trade him. Which he won't have control over where they send him if they do trade him.

I have no sympathy for this guy.

Edited by dragonballgtz

You guys are seriously pissed at Snow for picking up a goaltender, WHEN HE NEEDED A GOALTENDER? (trying to stay in the spirit of the thread).

Nabokov knew what he was in for and would be subjected to waivers. Snow did not keep the Wings from getting Nabokov. All he did was keep another team from getting Nabokov. Nabby would've had to get past something like 22 other teams before the Wings could sign him. There's no way that was going to happen.

And Nabby is getting off awful light for now saying he wasn't in game shape to play when he decided to come back. Probably just a lame excuse, but if it's true, was he thinking that if he did make the Wings it'd be okay to play crappy since they were going to make the playoffs?

garth snow is a dumb a** and a loser. i feel very bad for nabby. such a great player...9th round pick...rises to stardom...never wins a cup bc he plays for the choke artists that are the sharks...dropped by SJ because of money...dropped by his KHL team.....BUT THEN! a glimmer of hope! the legendary red wings sign him just in time for him to make a glorious playoff run to his first cup!...but alas garth snow, back up goalie and chronic meth user, amazed the world by ruining everything with his less than logical pickups and signings.

About the only part of your post that's accurate is he was a 9th round pick.

He wasn't dropped by his KHL team. He chose to terminate his contract with them mid-season for "family reasons." His KHL team didn't drop him.

And snow grabbing Nabby off waivers made a lot of sense given his goalie situation at the time.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Only LGW would consider the following facts:

Nabokov signs in Detroit, but has to pass through waivers.

The Islanders needed a goaltender; with Dipietro injured and Roloson traded, Snow was left with prospects at varying levels of development.

Snow claimed Nabokov on waivers.

Nabokov refused to report.

Snow instead picks up Al Montoya.

LGW Conclusion:

Garth Snow the biggest idiot in GM history.

Real life:

Garth Snow made a smart move, and was vilified by LGW because of it.

You guys are seriously pissed at Snow for picking up a goaltender, WHEN HE NEEDED A GOALTENDER? (trying to stay in the spirit of the thread).

Not just pissed, but still pissed. Nabby was an option for last year and there's still people upset by this?

Only LGW would consider the following facts:

Nabokov signs in Detroit, but has to pass through waivers.

The Islanders needed a goaltender; with Dipietro injured and Roloson traded, Snow was left with prospects at varying levels of development.

Snow claimed Nabokov on waivers.

Nabokov refused to report.

Snow instead picks up Al Montoya.

LGW Conclusion:

Garth Snow the biggest idiot in GM history.

Real life:

Garth Snow made a smart move, and was vilified by LGW because of it.

Not everyone can be Kenny. Also, it's really easy and the cool thing to do to dump on the Isles.

snow can make all the good moves in the world, but when it comes down to it anybody whos anybody doesnt wanna play for him or his team. he gives terrible contracts, has prolly stalled the development of most of his young talent, actually considers yashin for his team, ect. he should have stopped and thought for a second before he picked up nabby. hmmmm why would an elite, aging veteran, with no cups, who ran away to the KHL, and then stopped playing altogether, wanna sign for so cheap with the red wings so late in the season???? because he just loves being in the NHL so much? clearly no. For the big pay day? clearly no. For one last chance at a cup? yes. he should have known nabby wouldnt have reported lol i wouldnt have reported if i was in his position. did he think everything was gonna be hunky dory when one second hes gonna be going to the wings, the next second the islanders? lol. even if another team had grabbed him (one with playoff chances) i could see him reporting, but not to the isles. that organization is a joke, i wont blame long islanders if they never give that organization any help with arenas or anything ever. its certainly not all snows fault but hes part of the problem.

he shoulda just let his prospect goalies play, the rest of his team is young anyway and they already suck so why not.

Edited by number9

snow can make all the good moves in the world, but when it comes down to it anybody whos anybody doesnt wanna play for him or his team. he gives terrible contracts, has prolly stalled the development of most of his young talent, actually considers yashin for his team, ect. he should have stopped and thought for a second before he picked up nabby. hmmmm why would an elite, aging veteran, with no cups, who ran away to the KHL, and then stopped playing altogether, wanna sign for so cheap with the red wings so late in the season???? because he just loves being in the NHL so much? clearly no. For the big pay day? clearly no. For one last chance at a cup? yes. he should have known nabby wouldnt have reported lol i wouldnt have reported if i was in his position. did he think everything was gonna be hunky dory when one second hes gonna be going to the wings, the next second the islanders? lol. even if another team had grabbed him (one with playoff chances) i could see him reporting, but not to the isles. that organization is a joke, i wont blame long islanders if they never give that organization any help with arenas or anything ever. its certainly not all snows fault but hes part of the problem.

he shoulda just let his prospect goalies play, the rest of his team is young anyway and they already suck so why not.

Before getting claimed by the Islanders, Nabby's agent said he would play anywhere. Either he lied, Nabokov lied, or he changed his mind. Either way, that's the information Snow had to go on.

Everyone in the hockey world knew that Nabakov would almost certainly never make it to the Wings. Him getting claimed by a team other than Detroit shouldn't have been a surprise.

Snow made the idiotic contract with Dipietro, but a lot of the other previous terrible contracts were from previous GM's.

Jeez...are people still so delusional as to think Nabby had any chance to play with the Wings last year? (thats rhetorical, obviously they do)

Here is the FACT of the matter. Nabby had absolutely ZERO chance of playing with the Wings. If the Isles hadn't claimed him, someone else would have. That is a 100% indisputable fact.

If Nabby was so smart, he would have reported to the islanders last year. He really was signed for a fraction of what he is worth and he would have only played a 1/2 season anyway. As it turned out, he refused to report. Now, instead of playing a 1/2 season and being a free agent this year, he has to play for a full season at that small salary for the Islanders. I just don't get it. I would have reported and worked my ass off for a contract this year. I do wish him well though.....