88 replies to this topic

#41 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

:lol:

I'll assume that was a compliment. I'm playing for Lawrence Tech's varsity team.

Hmm, might have to go see that game when you guys come to town now, I go to Saginaw Valley

Edited by Greatness=PavelDatsyuk, 31 August 2011 - 07:17 PM.

Posted Image

#42 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

It was a club team before this year. Now we are a part of the ACHA, so I don't know exactly what division they would call that. We don't go out of state unless we get to a national tournament but we play MSU, U of D, Davenport, among other teams, so it's pretty cool. If I had to guess I would say it is division 3. But that is just a guess.

Too bad about your knee though. Would have been awesome to be part of their varsity program.

ACHA is club.

#43 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

Haha yeah. But today we now know that it's really Stevie who can only provide the potential Y chromosome. So Stevie's wife, really, could have had his head ( :scared: ) off for that (Yikes!) but then she wouldn't get his awesome "All I ever want to do is play hockey" genes.

Luckily, Lidstrom had all boys. Can you imagine the combination of Yzerman and Lidstrom genetics? It'd be like Brangelina but for hockey abilities instead of physical attractiveness. The kid is simply meant to make you forget all about Wayne Gretzky and Sidney Crosby.

So the Yzerman daughters somehow need to breed with the Lidstrom sons. Luckily there are many ways to facilitate this.

I am also interested in a Gretzky's son and Probert's daughter union.

Edited by egroen, 31 August 2011 - 08:09 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#44 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

If I had but a modicum of talent.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#45 drumnj

drumnj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

If I wasn't accident prone while growing up.

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#46 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

But apparently being top scorer and consistent MVP for the Grand Rapids Griffins in a loyal 4 year career and over 200 games of nothing but giving 110% wasn't enough for renowned for "loyalty" Ken Holland to reward me with just one measly call up. Not even as a black ace.

Sorry, thought I was Jamie Tardif for a second.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

I blame my parents.

I didn't start really following hockey until I was 11, and didn't start skating until shortly after that.

Thanks Mom, you go get me baptized as a baby but don't put me on skates? What the hell?!

#48 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Hmm, might have to go see that game when you guys come to town now, I go to Saginaw Valley

I believe we play Saginaw Valley at the start of the season.

ACHA is club.

Well we don't consider it club so nya. :P

I do understand that I cannot really call it a "varsity" sport like you would the top clubs in the US, but internally it makes some sense.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 31 August 2011 - 09:02 PM.

Posted Image

#49 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

I believe we play Saginaw Valley at the start of the season.

Well we don't consider it club so nya. :P

I do understand that I cannot really call it a "varsity" sport like you would the top clubs in the US, but internally it makes some sense.

Yea I explained it in my previous post, you can call it varsity all you want. The trouble is when you talk about club sports it has a rinky dink connotation to it. ACHA is far from this little like after school program. Its not near NCAA stuff by any means but a lot of places do really well with the club teams. The reason why people stray away from using the word club is because most people will assume to many things that the word brings along with it. Wings1110 wants to be technical, then yes its club. But there are definite shades of grey with using club and acha. Just saying.

#50 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

I blame my parents.

I didn't start really following hockey until I was 11, and didn't start skating until shortly after that.

Thanks Mom, you go get me baptized as a baby but don't put me on skates? What the hell?!

Not Canadian I'm guessing? Canadians are basically baptized on ice water with skates on :cool:

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#51 Bramsy

Bramsy

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

i coulda made it if i played hockey..... i'm a lacrosse guy Posted Image

Edited by Bramsy, 31 August 2011 - 11:03 PM.

nothing witty

#52 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

I had learned to skate as a child.

Same here. And I'll add, if I started playing hockey as a kid. I've played Baseball my entire life, hockey I started playing when I was 13, by that time, it was to little to late. I was at 13, and still am, years behind my friends. Plus I don't really want to play hockey, I'd rather watch the Red Wings play. Baseball and Football (Flag Football now) I want to play.

Not Canadian I'm guessing? Canadians are basically baptized on ice water with skates on :cool:

Right, I'm in the huge minority as a Canadian. As mentioned, playing sports I'm a Baseball and Football (Flag now) guy. Nothing beats sports outside on the grass in the sun. :cool:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#53 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,832 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:13 PM

If I had worked on my crossovers more :hehe:, and if I didn't have concussion problems in midget.

#NOMOREKINDL

#54 Murphdog

Murphdog

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:04 AM

I'll let you guys know what holds me back in the future. I'm 17 years old playing 18AAA hockey. After D1 College comes around, I guess It's only time to find out.

I have the size ( 6'2 175 lbs.) and I have the skill. But the odds are stacked against me. My knees have always been bad, and Ive had more than one disease diagnosed in them.

Adding to my knee injuries Ive broken my wrists 7 times, and have had 5 concussions. I have scars all over my face from sticks and having to get stitches.

I would love to be able to reach the NHL, but with my injury history, it's likely teams would be scared to take a shot. Despite size and skill :/

#55 Cevari

Cevari

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:47 AM

I'll let you guys know what holds me back in the future. I'm 17 years old playing 18AAA hockey. After D1 College comes around, I guess It's only time to find out.

I have the size ( 6'2 175 lbs.) and I have the skill. But the odds are stacked against me. My knees have always been bad, and Ive had more than one disease diagnosed in them.

Adding to my knee injuries Ive broken my wrists 7 times, and have had 5 concussions. I have scars all over my face from sticks and having to get stitches.

I would love to be able to reach the NHL, but with my injury history, it's likely teams would be scared to take a shot. Despite size and skill :/

Ouch, reading through that made me cringe. Good luck and I really hope you don't get injured again. Just remember there's other things in life that you want to be able to enjoy, don't completely wreck yourself for just one of them.

#56 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:50 AM

...if I would have transitioned to Ice hockey instead of stopped playing altogether.

#57 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:53 AM

I could have made it in the NHL if I hadn't blown out my shoulder in the military :P

(played in High school, but got caught up at 17 with the post 9/11 patriotism and enlisted on my 17th birthday).

Edited by Shaman464, 01 September 2011 - 04:54 AM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#58 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

Bonus points for the Manon Rheaume reference! :)

Not only would I have been the second woman to play in the NHL (3 if you count Sid<--in before someone else) but I would also have answered the question posed long ago on this Forum as to whether or not a morbidly obese person could be an effective goaltender by simply taking up all of the space in the net.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#59 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

I could have made the NHL if I didn't have Heart, Back and Leg Problems. But at least I get to play Sled Hockey!!

#60 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

I'm actually surprised that as many people here have taken it as far as they have... impressive!

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.