#1 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

http://espn.go.com/b...mccabe-and-more

Kronwall and the Red Wings

Contract talks are well under way between the Red Wings and star blueliner Niklas Kronwall, who is eligible to become UFA on July 1. Both camps spoke this week. My colleague at TSN, Darren Dreger, also reports the Kronwall camp is looking for a long-term, front-loaded deal similar to what Christian Ehrhoff signed with Buffalo.

#2 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

Sheesh Ehrhoff contract? Dont like the sound of that.

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

After the Ericsson contract, I wouldn't be surprised if Kronwall asks for a huge number.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with a Erhoff like contract. The cap hit was only $4 million, and the player gets paid. Protects against any roll back of salary in new CBA, and utilizes these loopholes before they are closed up. 10 years may be a bit much, but 6 isn't bad.

#5 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

Kronwall is pretty injury prone though. Not liking the sound of that at all.

#6 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

Kronwall is pretty injury prone though. Not liking the sound of that at all.

That's what LTIR is for.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#7 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

Saw Darren Dreger mentioned this on TSN before the Jets' game and he said it would more likely be in the 7 year range than 10 years.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#8 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

5-7 years with 5 million cap hit would please my ear.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#9 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

5-7 years with 5 million cap hit would please my ear.

me too. Get it done Kenny :thumbup:

#10 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

me too. Get it done Kenny :thumbup:

I feel like this is muttered way to often around here! Don't get me wrong, "In Kenny We Trust" but for some reason, I feel like there is going to come a time when Kenny "can't get it done".

I hope we can get Kronners around 5 a year for 5-7 years but after some of the recent signings....I don't know.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#11 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:20 AM

I feel like this is muttered way to often around here! Don't get me wrong, "In Kenny We Trust" but for some reason, I feel like there is going to come a time when Kenny "can't get it done".

I hope we can get Kronners around 5 a year for 5-7 years but after some of the recent signings....I don't know.

Oh, don't worry, I didn't.

#12 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:25 AM

i think it's just fun to say.

i don't think kenny is waiting around for our approval.
Posted Image

#13 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

He is gonna get paid for sure. I'd love to see him and Stuart around the same pay, then leave lots of cash for the Weber/Suter sweepstakes...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#14 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

Sheesh Ehrhoff contract? Dont like the sound of that.

Are you kidding? I would cream myself if we were somehow able to lock up Kronwall for the remainder of his career with an Ehrhoff type deal. $4 million cap hit for a guy of his calibre! If Kenny somehow pulls this one off, he really is a magician.

As long as Ilitch doesn't mind dropping the big coin the first two years (something he's never seemed to have a problem with), this potential deal is nothing but a major win for Kenny and Detroit.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#15 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

5 mil for knronwall? im thinking 6-6.5mil

#16 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

Are you kidding? I would cream myself if we were somehow able to lock up Kronwall for the remainder of his career with an Ehrhoff type deal. $4 million cap hit for a guy of his calibre! If Kenny somehow pulls this one off, he really is a magician.

As long as Ilitch doesn't mind dropping the big coin the first two years (something he's never seemed to have a problem with), this deal is nothing but a major win for Kenny and Detroit.

As long as kronwall doesn't think he's Lids equal or will be at some point I can see him taking a long term deal like that. I'm thinking more closer to 5mil cap hit but even that is good.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 29 September 2011 - 10:23 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#17 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

I'd be completely content with an Ehrhoff-type deal.

GIVE THE MAN WHATEVER HE WANTS

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#18 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

As long as kronwall doesn't think he's Lids equal or will be at some point I can see him taking a long term deal like that. I'm think more closer to 5mil cap hit but even that is good.

I completely agree, which is why I'd be floored if he signed for an "Ehrhoff" contract.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#19 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

As long as Ilitch doesn't mind dropping the big coin the first two years (something he's never seemed to have a problem with), this potential deal is nothing but a major win for Kenny and Detroit.

Agreed. And it seems like he will have to frontload fairly high given what other guys are signing for, and also so it looks fair relative to Ericsson's deal.

As long as kronwall doesn't think he's Lids equal or will be at some point I can see him taking a long term deal like that. I'm thinking more closer to 5mil cap hit but even that is good.

Even if he were to make more than Lids, that doesn't mean he thinks he's Lidstrom's equal. At 30 Kronwall is fairly young, and the very fact that Lidstrom will be retiring soon makes him more valuable and will drive up the price of his contract. That's a giant hole in the lineup to fill, and while no one can do it completely, Kronner is the one currently on the Wings able to pick up the most slack.

#20 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hypothetical 7 year deal:

Year by year salary = [$6M $6M $6M $6M $4M $4M $4M]

Cap Hit = $5.1429M

Hypothetical 10 year deal:

Year by year salary = [$6M $7M $7M $6.5M $5M $4.25M $3.75M $1M $1M $1M]

Cap Hit = $4.25M

Do you think these are fair?

Edited by Nevermind, 29 September 2011 - 11:50 AM.