• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Welcome to Big Leagues Gustav Nyquist!

Rate this topic

"He's ready," Maine Coach Tim Whitehead said. "I told Gustav before the season that if everything went as I thought it would, he'd be ready to sign and we supported that" ... "There's no doubt in my mind he's ready for the next step and the next challenge. He's become a complete player at Maine and he's ready to play at the AHL and even at the NHL level."
"Being a Hobey Baker finalist for two years in a row, the question was, how much more can he do?" Red Wings Assistant General Manager Jim Nill said. "Players almost get too confident and two years in a row as a Hobey Baker finalist, it shows us that he's an elite college player ... Any time you're a standout in any league, you project them as strong players at the next level ... But we project him as a top-six forward. If he's not a top-six forward in Grand Rapids, he can't be one in Detroit."

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/nyquist-becames-latest-leaving-maine-for-nhl_2011-03-26.html

If Draper can play with Fedorov I am sure Helm can play with Datsyuk.

Not the same.

People compare Datsyuk and Fedorov as if they're identical. Datsyuk is an above average skater. Fedorov is one of the fastest and most explosive skaters of all-time. Draper worked with Fedorov because they could form a wicked quick rush with Draper's speed winging Fedorov's intimidating offense. It's like the idea of a Bure/Fedorov/Helm line. Intimidating because of speed, even though Helm isn't really all that skilled offensively.

f*** YEAH NYQUIST!!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Nyquist, Zetterberg, Franzen (sick ******* line)

Hudler, Datsyuk, Cleary

Bertuzzi, Filppula, Eaves

Abdelkader, Helm, Miller

Holmstrom

boom.

THIS! perfect lines. best chance of success.

put kronwall and lids on the ice at the same time as the top line = swedish 5

Babs basically essentially has put his hopes for offense on Nyquist. Seems highly unusual for a call-up. They must be really high on this kid. Usually all they expect from a callup is some hustle, hard work, and energy.

I am really excited to see what this kid can do. I hope he is given a legit shot and sees some decent ice time in the next couple of weeks.

I would just hate to see him bounce around from healthy scratch to on the ice. I think that would prevent him from gaining any kind of momentum.

Either way excited to see another UMainer in the winged wheel!

Maybe they will start sending more Swedes to UMaine and then more of them will end up on the Wings!!

That is a lot of shooters on one line and not too many playmakers.

I don't see that line being especially effective.

I would have liked to seen a playmaker with Franzen and Nyquist or with Franzen and Bert, and Nyquist on another line.

That is a lot of shooters on one line and not too many playmakers.

I don't see that line being especially effective.

I would have liked to seen a playmaker with Franzen and Nyquist or with Franzen and Bert, and Nyquist on another line.

I agree. I think we would have been best with Flip, Z, or Dats. I am glad to see Bert on this line- I want(ed) one of Bert or Abby to play with him.

Not the same.

People compare Datsyuk and Fedorov as if they're identical. Datsyuk is an above average skater. Fedorov is one of the fastest and most explosive skaters of all-time. Draper worked with Fedorov because they could form a wicked quick rush with Draper's speed winging Fedorov's intimidating offense. It's like the idea of a Bure/Fedorov/Helm line. Intimidating because of speed, even though Helm isn't really all that skilled offensively.

Agreed.

Datsyuk succeeds by slowing the game down. People have to respect the ridiculous moves he can make, so he can slow down with the puck and look for plays.

Helm succeeds with just flat out wheels that keeps people on their heels, knowing if he gets one step on you he's gone.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard Babcock so high on a prospect before, and especially throwing him right into the second line AND special teams? I knew this kid had potential, but are they thinking he's going to be Datsyuk/Zetterberg potential?

I hope he comes out tonight and just has a crazy good game.

Babcock and the rest of the Red Wins office is so high on him, I hope he comes out and blows everyone out of the water. Maybe gives this team a spark and light a fire in them.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard Babcock so high on a prospect before, and especially throwing him right into the second line AND special teams? I knew this kid had potential, but are they thinking he's going to be Datsyuk/Zetterberg potential?

That would be the benchmark. I sure hope so. I just hope their not putting too much on him to where we are going to be disappointed when he doesn't get a trick tonight. Should be an interesting game tonight....our boys are hungry and I bet Goose is too!

Not the same.

It's one thing to come off the rush but once you are in the zone and cycling the puck that's another story. All Helm has to do is use that work ethic he has to get the puck and give it back to Datsyuk so he can work his magic. Teams will have to respect Helms speed which should move the defense back leaving Datsyuk room to work. Yes they won't be as fast as Fedorov/Draper but it can still work. I see no reason why Babs shouldn't look at this type of line.

Guest Heaten

Babcock was really high on Ericsson. I watched interviews where Babs would talk about how much of a stud Ercisson was when he was playing in Grand Rapids. He said Ercisson was too good to be playing in GR and should be on the Red Wings roster and didn't understand why Holland didn't move him up to the big leagues sooner.

How about:

Filppula - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Bertuzzi - Franzen - Nyquist

Eaves - Abdelkader - Cleary

Miller - Helm - Holmstrom

Or something similar. Fil has been playing too well to be demoted to third line, even though I know he's a natural center, it just seems like it would send the wrong signals to players. Holmer and Cleary have both played trashy so far, they need to be filling out the third and fourth lines. Unfortunately, however, I think Babs will do what he's been doing the whole time and continue to play both on the top 2 lines.

How about:

Filppula - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Bertuzzi - Franzen - Nyquist

Eaves - Abdelkader - Cleary

Miller - Helm - Holmstrom

Or something similar. Fil has been playing too well to be demoted to third line, even though I know he's a natural center, it just seems like it would send the wrong signals to players. Holmer and Cleary have both played trashy so far, they need to be filling out the third and fourth lines. Unfortunately, however, I think Babs will do what he's been doing the whole time and continue to play both on the top 2 lines.

Babcock (correctly IMO) like to have a net front presence on each line, and the first line has none.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Nyquist-Franzen-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Filppula-Abdelkader

Miller-Helm-Eaves

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Kindl

Ericsson-Stuart

Howard (starting)

Conklin

Scratched: Emmerton, Hudler, Commodore

Per Babcock the MLive link... http://www.mlive.com...uist_has_g.html Also the lines are in the GDT but I figured I would copy here just in case.

Pumped about tonights game! Get you some Gustaaaaaaaaav!!!!