• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Mcdonald backing up Jimmy

Rate this topic

Kaiser was talking during the griffins broadcast earlier tonight saying theres rumours that Detroit isnt happy with Conklin at all.

Apparently the rumour is that once Mcdonald comes back from his injury, which should be soon and gets in shape with GR, he is going to be called up to back up Howard.

Conklin hasnt looked good in his starts really, and Jimmy needs someone to take some starts. Mcdonald played great last year when he was up, I think this would be a smart move.

Actually as I'm typing this on the intermission Mcdonald is being asked in an interview about it and is saying we'll see what happens.

He said Conklin has been struggling so when hes back from Christmas break he plans on starting a couple of games and we'll see what happens.

Sounded a lot like there was some truth to it

Its the NHL, no you dont.

Especially since they seem him in practice and maybe they dont like what they see?

After what Conklin did in his second chance game I would say the only thing he deserves is to be waived. He played like garbage last year and in his last 2 games he looked like he should not be on the ice at this level. Bad signing is a bad signing...cut your losses early instead of losing valuable points.

After what Conklin did in his second chance game I would say the only thing he deserves is to be waived. He played like garbage last year and in his last 2 games he looked like he should not be on the ice at this level. Bad signing is a bad signing...cut your losses early instead of losing valuable points.

You're right, because a veteran's whole career is defined by two bad games, too. What happens when MacDonald has a bad game? We're talking about a backup goalie FFS . . .

I don't even know why anyone reads your posts. You've spent more time bitching about one player than having anything positive or constructive to say.

You're right, because a veteran's whole career is defined by two bad games, too. What happens when MacDonald has a bad game? We're talking about a backup goalie FFS . . .

I don't even know why anyone reads your posts. You've spent more time bitching about one player than having anything positive or constructive to say.

Well welcome to the boards, that is how it goes around here. :lol::P:hehe:

Edited by Gordie Howe hat trick

How can anyone be given a chance after only 3 times? Babcock did the same thing Osgood 2 years ago. You can't use the excuse that they've seen him in practice and don't like what they see, I've heard Oz and other goalies say many times that practice is not the same as a game. Conklin has not been given a fair chance to prove whether or not he's worthy of the back up position. We need a back up goalie so that Jimmy can have a break every once in a while, this constant playing can't be good for him. I do not want to see him run down because Babcock doesn't trust Conklin or whatever his reasons are for not playing him.

There's a reason MacDonald has only played 87 games in 5 seasons in the NHL. There's a reason he's spent more time in the AHL than the NHL. There's a reason the Wings signed Conklin instead of keeping/bringing MacDonald up. MacDonald is not an NHL calibre-goalie, not to the Detroit Red Wings standards. The most games he's started was 49 when he was with the NYI (2008-2009); outside of that, 15 was the most for him (2010-2011 DET season), then 8 (2006-2007 DET), 7 (06-07 BOS), 6 (09-10 TOR), and 2 (07-08 NYI). Other than the Islanders, all other teams he's played for have seen the same thing and came to the same conclusion: he's just not that good.

And as others have said, it's hard to get a good look at a new (or in Conks' case, returning) player when said player has only had 3 starts in 24 games this season. Kinda hard to get a groove going on that.

Conks' is here for the season. MacDonald (if I remember correctly) was lit up here at times for his play, and not in a good way. MacDonald has been, and will always be, a career AHL'er, with a few spot starts here if one of the Wings' goalies gets injured.

There's a reason MacDonald has only played 87 games in 5 seasons in the NHL. There's a reason he's spent more time in the AHL than the NHL. There's a reason the Wings signed Conklin instead of keeping/bringing MacDonald up. MacDonald is not an NHL calibre-goalie, not to the Detroit Red Wings standards. The most games he's started was 49 when he was with the NYI (2008-2009); outside of that, 15 was the most for him (2010-2011 DET season), then 8 (2006-2007 DET), 7 (06-07 BOS), 6 (09-10 TOR), and 2 (07-08 NYI). Other than the Islanders, all other teams he's played for have seen the same thing and came to the same conclusion: he's just not that good.

And as others have said, it's hard to get a good look at a new (or in Conks' case, returning) player when said player has only had 3 starts in 24 games this season. Kinda hard to get a groove going on that.

Conks' is here for the season. MacDonald (if I remember correctly) was lit up here at times for his play, and not in a good way. MacDonald has been, and will always be, a career AHL'er, with a few spot starts here if one of the Wings' goalies gets injured.

You say that, and a bunch of people will agree with you...

But how many of the people that say this will say Brunnstrom isnt being treated fairly and completely ignore the fact that he wasnt good enough in the AHL for other teams?

Mcdonald got a chance last year and played lights out, its unfair to him to not be given a chance I think, especially with how Conklin has looked this year and his .880 save percentage last season.

I have a feeling this next game will be his make or break game personally

Guest Crymson

Rumors.

Isn't this what I have been screaming the whole time?

MacDonald is not a capable NHL backup, else he would be an NHL backup.

Guest Crymson

You say that, and a bunch of people will agree with you...

But how many of the people that say this will say Brunnstrom isnt being treated fairly and completely ignore the fact that he wasnt good enough in the AHL for other teams?

Brunnstrom is a very different story. First, he's young. He's not proven or disproven that he can play in the NHL. MacDonald has been in the league a long time, and he's a career third-stringer. Second, Brunnstrom is a fourth-line forward. If he has a bad game, it's no big deal. He'll just be given little ice time, and the whole affair will have little effect upon how the game plays out. If MacDonald has a bad game, the Wings will probably lose.

Mcdonald got a chance last year and played lights out, its unfair to him to not be given a chance I think, especially with how Conklin has looked this year and his .880 save percentage last season.

I have a feeling this next game will be his make or break game personally

MacDonald played very well in some games and very poorly in others. He's not sufficiently consistent. He's got a more or less equal chance of doing alright or getting absolutely wrecked. In sum, he's simply not a reliable goaltender. He has proven that repeatedly at the NHL level.

In your time on these forums, you've done little more than prove your complete lack of hockey sense.

Edited by Crymson

Most of yoru posts are raging at me. Just ignore me as I am doing to you from now on. Oh and you should read my post... it was not 2 bad games..it was a terrible season and 2 bad games.

Edited by korrowan

Guest Crymson

Conklin has looked like absolute s*** in the few games he's played. With that being said, it's certainly not enough of a sample size to dismiss him

Really? Because I was at the first game he played, and he certainly didn't suck in that one. He played great, in fact, and didn't get scored on a single time by the Avalanche. If you'll recall, he kept the Wings in the game in the first period, and they went on to win 3-0.

Well done, chap.

Really? Because I was at the first game he played, and he certainly didn't suck in that one. He played great, in fact, and didn't get scored on a single time by the Avalanche. If you'll recall, he kept the Wings in the game in the first period, and they went on to win 3-0.

Well done, chap.

His 2 beyond awful games trump his one good game. I would bet he is somewhere in the middle which is still bad.

Certainly, when looking at our team, the backup goalie is what worries me most. Conks looked awful in his last two games and Babs obviously has zero confidence in him.

At this rate, Jimmy is going to be completely burned out come playoff time, if not sooner. We need someone that can atleast give the team a fighting chance every now and then so Jimmy can get some rest.

I agree that Conklin's next game is make or break time. If he once again pretty much loses the game on his own, now way in hell will Holland/Babcock go forward with him backing Jimmy up. MacDonald is not a perfect solution but he was pretty solid for us in the past and it's definitely worth putting him in for a game or a few games to see how he does.

Otherwise Holland may have to start looking at trades. Too bad Daniel Larsson went back to sweden and McCollum's development took a nosedive.

Guest Crymson

His 2 beyond awful games trump his one good game. I would bet he is somewhere in the middle which is still bad.

His first game was great. In his second game, it wasn't he alone who shat the bed. He had a bad third game. But why I should even bother responding to you is beyond me, as you'll find creative ways to whine and predict doom regardless of anything.

His first game was great. In his second game, it wasn't he alone who shat the bed. He had a bad third game. But why I should even bother responding to you is beyond me, as you'll find creative ways to whine and predict doom regardless of anything.

Naw team has been playing great. In theory the rest of the team can bail him out if they keep playing at the level they have been. I would be shocked though if he gave up less than 3 goals.