32 replies to this topic

#1 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

http://www.vancouver...8666/story.html

When it comes to not getting what they want or expect, Vancouver takes the pity-party/riot cake. :thumbdown:

I am sad that I couldn't get the story up before they turned off the comments, a few were pretty good. Almost 100% against the writer.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#2 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

http://www.vancouver...8666/story.html

When it comes to not getting what they want or expect, Vancouver takes the pity-party/riot cake. :thumbdown:

I am sad that I couldn't get the story up before they turned off the comments, a few were pretty good. Almost 100% against the writer.

That was pathetic. I wonder if he'd be singing the same song if Vancouver were involved.

#3 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, I would agree that the article was pretty whiney. To me, it kinda stunk of a sense of self entitlement. I can understand teams/fans being frustrated with not being included in the WC (and maybe as Wings fans we're spoiled) but at the end of the day some cities just can't host and aren't a big enough draw to be involved.

The crappy part about that article was that the author really was grasping at straws in an effort to knock the WC. Personally, i don't love off the WC. I think it's a cool thing and good for hockey but I'm not bias in favour of it. So I feel as though I can be fairly subjective (as a lot of fans can be) on the WC and some of the stuff the author wrote was just absurd.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#4 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

How ironic that even though Vancouver is closer to winning a Cup, Toronto is still more well known and would be a bigger draw. Poor Canucks.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#5 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

My favorite part:

Sure, there's an undeniable charm in two Original Six teams playing on the grand stage, but does it crackle with anticipation the way a Habs-Bruins game would or even (dismissing the Original Six part), a Bruins-Vancouver Canucks hatefest?

He dismisses a rivalry between two storied franchises that have been in the NHL since its beginning and then sites a "hatefest" being better which is between two teams that have only had a rivalry since the summer. Brilliant stuff right there.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

Did he fail to mention that the Maple Leafs have had a wait list that practically takes 100 years to advance in? I suppose so, there's no market in Toronto, they HATE hockey!! RawraWRAWRrwr!

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#7 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

I like how he makes a point of saying that he brings up some valid points. Which he really doesn't.

The criticism against the venue are the dumbest ones imo. To me it seems like the best venue yet, on paper atleast.

#8 Jenny

Jenny

Geeky Goalie Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Maybe once the city of Vancouver proves that it can have a major event without rioting, it too can have a Classic, whether of the Winter or Heritage variety. Posted Image (Detroit had to prove itself again after 1984 before it got anything nice, after all.)

Love his insistence that there is absolutely no overlap between hockey fans and college football fans, too. Yeah, dude, maybe do some research on the SE Michigan sports market before you claim facts about it.

detroit-skyline.jpg

My priorities: 1-Hockey. 2-Sleep. 3-Food. 4-Everything Else.

No, Ozzie is NOT the Breakfast Wizard!" -- my husband

#9 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

My favorite part of the article is the byline:

BY CAM COLE, VANCOUVER SUN?

Is the Sun not sure if Cole writes for them or are they not sure that they still exist?

#10 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

The Vancouver Sun? Who cares?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#11 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

I thought this was written by Kesler :ph34r:
IPB Image

#12 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Wow...

And that is all I can say.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#13 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

Has the feel of a deliberately-confrontational column, set up to deliver angry responses. Postmedia (formerly Canwest) is full of these types now, which is a shame because Cam Cole has been around forever and he shouldn't have to resort to this.

Vancouver should really form its own league if it thinks it's so much better than everyone else. The Sun and Province's columnists are such sycophants it's embarrassing. Totally the opposite of the Toronto print media, most of whom despise Burke and Wilson.

#14 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

News flash: Vancouver can never host a WC for three reasons

1. It rains there just about every freeking day

2. Everytime the Canucks lose a major game their "fans" wreck the city.

3. Everyone hates the Canucks.

#15 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

ha, i stopped reading to google image pictures of bruce boudreau with rib sauce on his chin.
Posted Image

#16 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

it's hard to imagine a large chunk of America's sports viewing public turning eagerly to a match that features a team that last won the Cup when most TVs were still black and white

Haha what a terrible point to use if arguing for Vancouver to host the game, who have 0 cups.

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

I am worried, though, that the Winter Classic is slowly going to lose its luster year by year.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#18 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

I am worried, though, that the Winter Classic is slowly going to lose its luster year by year.

If the NHL continues to feature the same teams, yes, it will lose its luster. I'm happy Detroit got it next year, but teams like Minnesota, Colorado, NYI, Montreal, Ottawa have yet to play in one, let alone host one. I realize a Minnesota/Colorado Winter Classic matchup won't get the ratings of a Detroit/Toronto, but recycling the same teams over and over is getting old.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 19 January 2012 - 12:46 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#19 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Has the feel of a deliberately-confrontational column, set up to deliver angry responses.

Exactly, if a Vancouver "fan" posted this on LGW he'd be called a troll and banned.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#20 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Wow, what an interesting article * It was well written ** There was no whining whatsoever *** Apparently he's using this as his high school thesis **** Vancouver versus the Bruins "hatefest" couldn't have been a dumber statement ***** The use of asterisks to imitate references to sources couldn't be any moref****** annoying ******

* You're a ****** bag
** Yep, still a ******
*** Still douching it up
**** Oh my God, stop writing
***** Seriously, STOP
****** OK, WE GET IT, YOU'RE A TERRIBLE WRITER