• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

What happened to Zetterberg's scoring touch?

Rate this topic

I blame Emma.

But really, sometimes players have bad seasons. It is not a sign of irrevocable decline.

No s***. I think he took the offseason completely off. His skating sucks, his shooting sucks, he's weak on the puck - I could go on - but every Z fan can see his game is way off.

This is no way about linemates. This is about playing mostly s***ty hockey.

I believe this is the issue. Knee and back problems add up over the years, stiffen up, lose their explosiveness, handcuffing shots.

Warren Miller, the great extreme skiing movie maker summed it up best with regards to age and the athletic body: "If you are a better skiier at 41 than you were at 21, then you weren't much of a skier at 21".

I still give Z mad props for pushing that beat up body of his.

That's just retarded. He's under no more wear and tear than any other hockey player out there.

Guest irishock

His reg. season goal scoring has toned down, but his playoff numbers are at 34 goals in his last 64 games. I`d be concerned if he was no longer producing when it matters the most, but as of right now it seems like he`s just coasting through the season while Filppula, Bertuzzi and Hudler have stepped up.

Also, it's obvious that Kris Draper's absence has a bigger effect on Zetterberg's scoring touch than we initially anticipated.

Holy double D breasts! This is it!!!!

But honestly, Drake nailed it with the injuries. Hank's back has been in the toilet for the past couple of years and it shows a ton just in comparison before that particular injury happened. I think at times we have seen the scoring touch here and there. He is as tough to knock off the puck as he ever has been and I can honestly say that even though he isn't going to pot 30+ a year anymore, we are still in prime shape as a team for a deep run and with him being just an all around playoff performer, this too shall come to pass. Yeah yeah, Hank slappy I know but truthfully, I don't think its a gigantic concern at this point.

I might get killed now. But what about trading Zetterberg? He is decline every year and has a long contract. He still has HUGE value around the league. We would definitely got a good player/players in return.

Let's wait to see what he looks like next year.

We can't forget that he had nearly 60 assists last year and has been roughly a point per game player the last 2-3 years.

He is getting a pass right now because of the play of Hudz/Bert/Fil

I might get killed now. But what about trading Zetterberg? He is decline every year and has a long contract. He still has HUGE value around the league. We would definitely got a good player/players in return.

I agree with this, but it will never happen. Lots of teams would kill for him, and he'd do a lot of good for some of them. And the Wings could get a serious return, which they're going to need to fill some holes over the next couple of seasons.

Were I the general manager this team would be terrible, I wouldn't want to hold on to him for another year. True, he could have a major rebound next season. But I'd be wanting someone else to take that gamble.

I see babs has recently been experimenting with the ZDH line again, If he gives them some more opportunities I think Z will start to shine again. This has always been the perfect grinder-sniper-playmaker line combo, not sure why babs started splitting them so much up after 2008.

With all due respect - T.Low IMO is spot on, and I agree with him...Remember Hank's lingering tendonitis in his wrist?..Who knows if that, and his back flare up on a reg basis throughout the season?

Every player is different; some wear down faster than others, and are more prone to injury, and quite possibly re-injury (see Osgood's groin, and Yzerman's knees).

Hank has slowed down a bit, and so has his scoring prowess...He's still a #1 centerman on most teams, but with Dats in the line up - Hank then is the #2 guy.

I'm not sure I even consider him the #4 guy on this team right now... Just because he was amazing in the past doesn't increase his value this year when he's playing pretty bad hockey, even outside of the lack of scoring.

9 goals

26 assists

35 points

A team leading 152 shots

Is Z struggling? Maybe. I think he is more frustrated thats for sure. Last year he had over 300 shots in 80 games and scored 24 goals with 80 points.

I am not disappointed with Z. He is going through a rough patch right now and I will continue to support him. He is going to turn things around on the scoring side. If not, he is still one of the best players on the team.

Keep the faith!

9 goals

26 assists

35 points

A team leading 152 shots

Is Z struggling? Maybe. I think he is more frustrated thats for sure. Last year he had over 300 shots in 80 games and scored 24 goals with 80 points.

I am not disappointed with Z. He is going through a rough patch right now and I will continue to support him. He is going to turn things around on the scoring side. If not, he is still one of the best players on the team.

Keep the faith!

Wow!

If someone told me the bolded part before the season, I'd never believe them. 9 goals at the All Star break, and he's played basically every game.

Wow!

If someone told me the bolded part before the season, I'd never believe them. 9 goals at the All Star break, and he's played basically every game.

He only scored 24 in 80 games last year. So, if you think about it, he is only 5-6 goals off pace. Not a huge number at all.

Wow!

The weird thing is that both of his linemates are scoring more than they ever have in their careers.

While we probably won't ever see the 40 goal Zetterberg of yore, I have faith that his pace will pick up in the second half and the playoffs.

Having 3 potential top 6 centers is a huge asset for this team, glad we are able to roll such a strong top 6 down the middle.

Not trying to complain or anything like that but man, it is hard to watch Zetterberg right now. Seems like his confidence level is below average for him.

I can agree with this. He can't buy a freaking goal out there, and honestly, I think it has a lot to do with players being afraid of his potential play, thus, they put a ton more pressure on him, which leaves Hudler and Filppula open more often, leading to them scoring a lot more than expected. I can't say I hate his playmaking ability, but I really want to see him score more often again.

I have been reading the articles and the forums, and listening to everyone else’s opinion as to why Henrik Zetterberg is not producing the points, especially goals, the way we are used to. I’ve thought about it, and like everyone else, I don’t think you can point to any one thing that is the root cause of Zetterberg’s scoring woes. After watching his play closely, I have come to a conclusion that it is likely a combination of things.

Many are speculating that Zetterberg is possibly playing with a nagging injury, possibly his back. Perhaps years of playing with a bad back is affecting his game. Or maybe he has just lost a step. It happens with age. Never a “speedy” player, Z always had to kick it into a higher gear to work his way around a defenseman. If he has lost that higher gear, that part of his game is gone. That doesn’t mean he can’t score. It is just one factor.

Additionally, Zetterberg has never had the strongest shot. He has cited this as a weakness in the past. If he isn’t getting shots from prime scoring areas in front of and around the net, then his softer shots, no matter how many of them he takes, aren’t going to get by NHL goalies, especially without a net front presence.

When Zetterberg has been effective in the past, he has had a “grinder” on his line. Whether it be Tomas Holmstrom, Dan Cleary, or Johan Franzen, there has been someone who created chaos in front of the netminder, and someone who could muck it up, bang bodies, and win battles along the boards. These guys could go get the puck in the corner and get it to Zetterberg in the slot or beside the crease.

With smaller skill players such as Valtteri Filppula and Jiri Hudler as linemates, Zetterberg is sort of filling the “grinder” role. He has to play along the boards and try to win battles in corners with bigger opponents. A lot of time he is losing those battles. He isn’t able to carry the puck out and get it into area he needs to be in to score regularly. This results in an increase in turnovers and penalties taken by Zetterberg.

Defenses know all this. They see the players on Detroit’s second line and they focus on Zetterberg, ensuring that he is forced along the boards. They make him take low percentage outside shots. They are taking away his real scoring chances.

But, you can’t do that without giving up a little and the beneficiaries are Zetterberg’s wingers, Hudler and Filppula, who are both having career years. That is why coach Mike Babcock isn’t making any line changes to accommodate Zetterberg’s “slump”. The Wing’s are winning. And while Zetterberg's numbers aren't where they could be, the line is scoring. Babcock, and probably even Z himself, are willing to sacrifice Hank’s statistics for the production of the entire line.

What does it mean? It means Zetterberg isn’t done. He can return to goal scoring form on a line where that is his role. That isn’t what he is being asked to do right now. You don’t hear Babcock asking for more goals from Zetterberg in the media. He realizes what he is asking of Z.

Zetterberg is still one of the best defensive forwards in the game. He is a coach’s son and plays in great position. He is a top-line two-way center and an outstanding penalty killer.

From Zetterbergfan.com