Photo
- - - - -

What happened to Zetterberg's scoring touch?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

I'm trying to figure out what type of player the Red Wings want him to be, and also the type of player he wants to be.

When you have a Franzen - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi line you have a sniper - playmaker - grinder on the same line. When you have a Zetterberg - Filppula - Hudler/Cleary line and you say that Filppula is the playmaker then you are asking Zetterberg or Hudler/Cleary to be the sniper or grinder. Not sure that Hudler is an effective grinder (although Cleary can be at times) and Zetterberg has not proved to be an effective grinder; as others have stated, he either gets stopped immediately when entering the offensive zone or keeps the puck and circles around behind the net and turns the puck over when attempting to pass through the slot/high slot. Or if you are asking Zetterberg to be a sniper then he has not shown the skating ability to get open/cut quickly to the middle to get a decent shot.

He is still super strong on the puck, and he doesn't get stopped immeditately. It's just that he seems to be a half step slower, and his shot is a little watered down.

#22 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

i def miss the 40+ goal zetterberg. I hope he comes back every year.

im thinking his role has changed on the 2nd line. he is more of a play maker on that line. when he was with datsyuk, datsyuk was obv the play maker and Z was putting them home.

#23 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

Also, it's obvious that Kris Draper's absence has a bigger effect on Zetterberg's scoring touch than we initially anticipated.

And here I was blaming Maltby's retirement.
  • Nev likes this
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#24 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

All of my friends who are fans of other teams disagree.

It's good that you add such good arguments to the conversation and aren't just arguing for the sake of arguing >.>

#25 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

I'm guessing it's injuries and IMO Zettz shouldn't play with Filppula!

Zettz is being utlized as the playmaker but we all know the Filppula would rather be a playmarker also then a sniper! I think the top two lines should be more like this to get the best out of all are players:

Zetterberg Datsyuk Bertuzzi
Hudler / Filppula / Franzen

We need Zetz back !!!

#26 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

I blame Emma.

Seriously, if you were married to her, would your first concern be hockey?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#27 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

I blame Emma.

Seriously, if you were married to her, would your first concern be hockey?

Does she even live with him most of the time or does she live back in Sweden?

#28 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

I blame Emma.

But really, sometimes players have bad seasons. It is not a sign of irrevocable decline.

No s***. I think he took the offseason completely off. His skating sucks, his shooting sucks, he's weak on the puck - I could go on - but every Z fan can see his game is way off.

This is no way about linemates. This is about playing mostly s***ty hockey.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#29 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

When one of your linemates is heading for a career high, and you're heading for a career low, its clear something isn't right.

I'm in with the cumulative injuries crowd.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#30 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

I believe this is the issue. Knee and back problems add up over the years, stiffen up, lose their explosiveness, handcuffing shots.

Warren Miller, the great extreme skiing movie maker summed it up best with regards to age and the athletic body: "If you are a better skiier at 41 than you were at 21, then you weren't much of a skier at 21".

I still give Z mad props for pushing that beat up body of his.

That's just retarded. He's under no more wear and tear than any other hockey player out there.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#31 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

His reg. season goal scoring has toned down, but his playoff numbers are at 34 goals in his last 64 games. I`d be concerned if he was no longer producing when it matters the most, but as of right now it seems like he`s just coasting through the season while Filppula, Bertuzzi and Hudler have stepped up.

bringit.jpg

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

Also, it's obvious that Kris Draper's absence has a bigger effect on Zetterberg's scoring touch than we initially anticipated.

Holy double D breasts! This is it!!!!

But honestly, Drake nailed it with the injuries. Hank's back has been in the toilet for the past couple of years and it shows a ton just in comparison before that particular injury happened. I think at times we have seen the scoring touch here and there. He is as tough to knock off the puck as he ever has been and I can honestly say that even though he isn't going to pot 30+ a year anymore, we are still in prime shape as a team for a deep run and with him being just an all around playoff performer, this too shall come to pass. Yeah yeah, Hank slappy I know but truthfully, I don't think its a gigantic concern at this point.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#33 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

And here I was blaming Maltby's retirement.

So what you're saying is Zetterberg has no love for Osgood? Hell, maybe he hated Rafalski too
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#34 matemate

matemate

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

I might get killed now. But what about trading Zetterberg? He is decline every year and has a long contract. He still has HUGE value around the league. We would definitely got a good player/players in return.

#35 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

I might get killed now. But what about trading Zetterberg? He is decline every year and has a long contract. He still has HUGE value around the league. We would definitely got a good player/players in return.

Let's wait to see what he looks like next year.

We can't forget that he had nearly 60 assists last year and has been roughly a point per game player the last 2-3 years.

He is getting a pass right now because of the play of Hudz/Bert/Fil

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

That's just retarded. He's under no more wear and tear than any other hockey player out there.

With all due respect - T.Low IMO is spot on, and I agree with him...Remember Hank's lingering tendonitis in his wrist?..Who knows if that, and his back flare up on a reg basis throughout the season?

Every player is different; some wear down faster than others, and are more prone to injury, and quite possibly re-injury (see Osgood's groin, and Yzerman's knees).

Hank has slowed down a bit, and so has his scoring prowess...He's still a #1 centerman on most teams, but with Dats in the line up - Hank then is the #2 guy.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 uncle ovipositor

uncle ovipositor

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

I agree with this, but it will never happen. Lots of teams would kill for him, and he'd do a lot of good for some of them. And the Wings could get a serious return, which they're going to need to fill some holes over the next couple of seasons.

Were I the general manager this team would be terrible, I wouldn't want to hold on to him for another year. True, he could have a major rebound next season. But I'd be wanting someone else to take that gamble.

#38 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

What happened to his scoring touch?

...he left it at the alter after he got married!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG

#39 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image

Give Zetterberg a break.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#40 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

I see babs has recently been experimenting with the ZDH line again, If he gives them some more opportunities I think Z will start to shine again. This has always been the perfect grinder-sniper-playmaker line combo, not sure why babs started splitting them so much up after 2008.