• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Obviously, we don't want to ride him long term; he'll likely eventually have a bad game. But at this point, I think he's played well enough in his time up to prove he should be the backup for the rest of this year (and next year, too). I like Conkers but he just doesn't seem to have any gas left, and that worries me come playoff time. Personally, I think Joey could hold the fort during the tighter defensively playoffs if he had to for a few games. Not to mention he's busted his ass to prove he should be up here.

Is there anyone on here that really disagrees at this point?
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#2 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

He should be our backup... But I have a question for the board, what can we do to Conklin? I mean in terms of "releasing him." Basically would we waive him like what we did to Brunnstrom?

Thanks

#3 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Joey Mac my boiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

#4 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

He should be our backup... But I have a question for the board, what can we do to Conklin? I mean in terms of "releasing him." Basically would we waive him like what we did to Brunnstrom?

Thanks

Give him a flyers jersey and leave him on LaViolette's doorstep in a basket :clap:

Seriously.. Joey Mac has shown he's earned the spot, Conklin really hasn't. Where it goes from there i'm not sure but Joey deserves it and I feel a bit more comfortable when he plays.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#5 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

I don't think there's any question who should be the back up when Howard comes back. Conk should be sent down to Grand Rapids, if his contract allows it.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#6 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

A few points.

1. I am fine with him being the backup for the rest of this year, but I would still see if there is a trade to be made but refuse to give up anything valuable. Next year... I still would look for better.

2. Nothing stops us from sending him down at any point... he would just have to clear waivers going down and coming up. If he gets claimed coming up then we have to pay half the salary. If we send him down, we might have to keep him down.

3. I still would have loved to have Osgood playing, because even if he wasn't better than Joey, he would be better than Ty. I would have loved to see him adding to that win total right now.

4. Congrats to being a huge part of a record Joey.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#7 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

I would have no issues with Joey Mac being the back up the rest of the way, with one stipulation. Either stay late after practice playing pucks around the net, or just vow to let the d-men handle those duties.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#8 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:45 AM

After tonight, can we dust off the patented Hasek Bungee Cord to keep JoeMac in the net?

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#9 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

i like his balls on coming out on shots and challenging, but dude you gotta have a strong wrist on those behind the net :P
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#10 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

I would be cool with him being our backup the rest of the year. He's shown he can give us a chance to win games so we can let Jimmy be rested and ready for the playoffs.
That also rids Holland of the problem of having to go out and get a backup, so he can focus completely on adding forward/defense-depth.

#11 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

the blunder behind the net was 2 mistakes in one.

first, he whiffs on the pass. it happens. nearly every goaltender has done that at some point.

but then, he stands there doing nothing. slowly gliding back into the net, not even skating. it's not like he could make it to his pass or anything. why would you not go for your net? you could almost see the gears in his head turning. "duh...uh...what do i do now? derp."

he might have had a chance to stop that puck if he had just jumped back into the net.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#12 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

I would have no issues with Joey Mac being the back up the rest of the way, with one stipulation. Either stay late after practice playing pucks around the net, or just vow to let the d-men handle those duties.

You can't learn if you don't do it. Practice != real game.

#13 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

first, he whiffs on the pass. it happens. nearly every goaltender has done that at some point.

but then, he stands there doing nothing. slowly gliding back into the net, not even skating. it's not like he could make it to his pass or anything. why would you not go for your net? you could almost see the gears in his head turning. "duh...uh...what do i do now? derp."

he might have had a chance to stop that puck if he had just jumped back into the net.

The play happened way too fast for him to make it in time.

It was tick tack play once he lost it.

Posted Image

#14 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

The play happened way too fast for him to make it in time.

It was tick tack play once he lost it.

i just watched the replay. he didn't even try. he froze.

you're telling me he had no chance at all to get back into his net?

LOL

#15 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

i just watched the replay. he didn't even try. he froze.

you're telling me he had no chance at all to get back into his net?

to
I'm saying he gave the puck away and the Flyers made a quick play to the front.

Even if he made it back in time, he would have still been unlikely to make the save.

Posted Image

#16 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

to
I'm saying he gave the puck away and the Flyers made a quick play to the front.

Even if he made it back in time, he would have still been unlikely to make the save.

unlikey, maybe. but to say "The play happened way too fast for him to make it in time." is incorrect.

he would have had a chance to make the save if he didn't freeze.

LOL

#17 bob

bob

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

He didn't freeze, he was expecting the bank shot and positioned himself so the Flyers player would be unable to bank it off him and into the net. Unfortunately he didn't seem to realize where that second Flyers player was and did not expect that pass.

#18 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

unlikey, maybe. but to say "The play happened way too fast for him to make it in time." is incorrect.

he would have had a chance to make the save if he didn't freeze.

No, I don't think he would have made it in time to make a save.

Posted Image

#19 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

No, I don't think he would have made it in time to make a save.

well, we can agree to disagree on that.

LOL

#20 jfranzen

jfranzen

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

I agree that he blundered, but he didn't "freeze" he tried to skate to the puck to follow up his whiffed pass, but en route to the puck he realized it was too late and then tried to get back to the net, if he'd gone straight there after whiffing, he might have been in position to at least block the pass.
I'm offended that you're offended.