• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

#121 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

When the Predators scored the first goal tonight I wanted to hang myself for recording this game...

Is it wrong that I busted out laughing at this? Serious hyperbole going on with this dude.

I bet Holland makes a power play move for Leino, then brings in Lilja to round out our D.

#122 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. What does Schenn make?

He's under contract for 4 more seasons at $3.6 million per season...A bit pricey to say the least - however there's a considerable upside to his game, and you cannot deny there's a history of Maple Leaf Dmen finding a new life in the Motor City; Larry Murphy, Bob Rouse, and Jamie Macoun are examples.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#123 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Is it wrong that I busted out laughing at this? Serious hyperbole going on with this dude.

I bet Holland makes a power play move for Leino, then brings in Lilja to round out our D.

Now that is funny!........ Or is it not funny????? I guess it's only funny if it doesn't happen.

Edited by pondrocket, 18 April 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#124 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

He's under contract for 4 more seasons at $3.6 million per season...A bit pricey to say the least - however there's a considerable upside to his game, and you cannot deny there's a history of Maple Leaf Dmen finding a new life in the Motor City; Larry Murphy, Bob Rouse, and Jamie Macoun are examples.

Ah now thinking about it I would maybe do it. I watch quite a few Leafs games and he did struggle this year, but I can see some of that being the spotlight in Toronto, as well as the high expectations they have for him because of his first couple years. I don't love the salary but I can see him rounding into a shutdown d-man. Plus he is young and a right hand shot so I think I would pull the trigger on that deal.

Would love for our roster to be this if we are unable to get Suter and Lidstrom retires. Lots of trades and roster moves so totally unrealistic that this will happen, but I would love the team.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.000m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Zach Parise ($7.000m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($1.600m) / Teddy Purcell ($2.363m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Zenon Konopka ($1.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.100m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Greg Zanon ($1.750m)
Matt Carkner ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,658,333; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,641,667

Edited by Flipper51, 18 April 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#125 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Ah now thinking about it I would maybe do it. I watch quite a few Leafs games and he did struggle this year, but I can see some of that being the spotlight in Toronto, as well as the high expectations they have for him because of his first couple years. I don't love the salary but I can see him rounding into a shutdown d-man. Plus he is young and a right hand shot so I think I would pull the trigger on that deal.

If all it took in return was a Mule in decline - I too would pull the trigger on that deal...I must agree with ya - there were quite a few times throughout the season (especially the last several weeks of the season) where he looked as though he was lost in his own end of the ice; I'm guessing it was the atmosphere/pressure of playing in Toronto coupled with the fact that the team went down faster in the standings than beer at a frat party.

Schenn was said to have been available at the deadline, and there's a good chance he'll be made available at the draft...Youth, alot of upside, a right handed shot, plays physical/stands up for teammates, top 4 Dman potential...If Holland doesn't look at this kid with any seriousness - then I'm really lost.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#126 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

If all it took in return was a Mule in decline - I too would pull the trigger on that deal...I must agree with ya - there were quite a few times throughout the season (especially the last several weeks of the season) where he looked as though he was lost in his own end of the ice; I'm guessing it was the atmosphere/pressure of playing in Toronto coupled with the fact that the team went down faster in the standings than beer at a frat party.

Schenn was said to have been available at the deadline, and there's a good chance he'll be made available at the draft...Youth, alot of upside, a right handed shot, plays physical/stands up for teammates, top 4 Dman potential...If Holland doesn't look at this kid with any seriousness - then I'm really lost.

Ya I think you have to at least look into that deal especially if we are unable to obtain Suter as a UFA. He adds a lot of potential and being in the Toronto area I can tell you that it is not an easy place to play whatsoever, especially for a young d-man with high expectations. Also if im correct I believe he and Datsyuk are really good buddies.

#127 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Lol I was just so mad that I stayed up to 2am to watch that debacle.

#128 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

he wants to sign 35+ soft bottom six guys!

but seriously if he does that, ill find him....

#129 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Ultimately, I think Lids & Homer retire together at the end of the season, Stuart's negotiating rights are traded off to a Cali team for a draft pick, & Hudler's let go outright. If it plays out that way, I do see Kenny going hard after Parise to set up something like this at forward...

Parise-Pavs-Mule
Flip-Hank-Gus
Abby-Helm-Bert
Eaves-Emmerton-Miller
Mursak

Edit: Just dawned on me that I forgot Cleary...

Much of the 3rd & 4th line's problems get fixed with a healthy Helm & Eaves next year imo. Personally though, I would much rather see Sheahan centering the 4th if he can prove he can hold his own on faceoffs in camp. He has a clear size advantage on Emmerton & comes from a defensive minded system at ND that placed a great deal of emphasis on cycling the puck too.

I just don't see Suter leaving Nashville at this point, at least not for Detroit, and the rest of the FA class doesn't look that strong at all. That might mean the d-corps looks like this going into camp...

Kronner-White
Quincey-Ericsson
Smith-Kindl
Janik

If that's the case, I think Kenny needs to start packaging some prospects/draft picks up for a trade. But who knows, maybe if Lids does hang them up, Kenny will too like he's mentioned before. Maybe this should be a "What's Jim Nill's offseason plan" thread instead.

Edited by ogreslayer, 18 April 2012 - 08:05 PM.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#130 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

I am changing this team. I know they made the playoffs, showed a little heart, they almost made my 6th place prediction come true, so I am not happy with this team at all. They backed into the playoffs and pretty much have lost it's identity this season. I realize it was probably an expensive asking price on Trade Day, so I won't hold Holland too accoutable and noone can predict the injuries, but some of the players that were relied upon to step up, failed. This is all hypothetical and what I would want to see done. Prolly won't happen, even though it is affordable, but hey, I can want...

Lidstrom retires, Holmstrom retires, Stuart leaves. I am not re-signing Hudler and I am trading Mursak, Franzen, Cleary, Kindl and Emmerton. I will send Franzen + off to Dallas (he can star with Eriksson for the next 10 years) for Brenden Morrow then re-sign him for a longer deal, then acquire whatever I can draft pick wise for the rest. I am re-signing Abdelkader, Helm and Qunicey to discounted but longer term deals. I am then signing Suter for $6.5M long term, Parise $6.7M long term and Semin $5.0M long term. When I say long term I mean at least 5 yrs. I am promoting Smith and Nyquist full time, also Tatar/Sheehan will be up & down here for the 13th forward to rotate in and out. I am not sure on a 7th Defenseman, but I am sure a serviceable one will present itself.

For GRR I am signing Dekeyser for the D and I wanted to sign Jeremy Welsh but he was already plucked by Carolina...another miss for Holland.

Anyhow, here is my 2012-2013 roster:

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($6.700m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.000m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg © ($6.083m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Brenden Morrow ($4.100m) / Darren Helm (@) ($1.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall (@) ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.500m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

This actually leaves $973,000 available under the CURRENT Cap. Of course if the Cap drops (which I doubt considering the revenue the NHL is bringing in) then some numbers could be tweaked, but this roster is sitting pretty good as it stands...

You may like it or not, and I am sure you will tell me about it, but this team beats the current team hands down all season long AND in a series.

I stand by what I said in the above post earlier in the spring, with the exception of maybe trying to get a better backup here to challenge Jimmy. He has no one to challenge him, his job is secure, he is comfortable. He needs to be pushed. Not many quality goalies out there that are sub $1M goalies....I think Vokoun and Nabokov will get more than that...we may be stuck with MacDonald.

Edited by LeftWinger, 19 April 2012 - 03:55 PM.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#131 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Ken Holland weighs in on the Red Wings-Predators series

http://www.kuklaskor...edators_series/

#132 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Ken Holland weighs in on the Red Wings-Predators series

http://www.kuklaskor...edators_series/

One part he says "we battle hard, we play hard" I just lol'ed.

This team has serious compete issues.

#133 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

I didn't have a chance to listen to the interview yet but based on the comments I've seen it looks like all he said was "blah blah blah we've had so much past success we're going to play hard and I doubt much will change in the off season".

If this is true then I am very disappointed and have truly lost faith in Holland. This team has SERIOUS FLAWS all around. At least address them and encourage us that we will work towards fixing them. Not just "OH WAIT WE HAVE MIGHT HAVE ONE MORE RUN IN US". Because we've been hearing that for three years and enough is enough.

Hanging onto a nucleus too long is one of the most detrimental things you can do. Just look at what it did to the pistons.

#134 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Parise
Zetterberg-Filppula-Malone
Abdelkader-Helm-Bertuzzi
Miller-Prust-Pyatt
Eaves/Mursak

Suter-White
Kronwall-Garrison
Ericsson-B.Smith
Vandermeer

Jason Garrison is an extremely underrated defenseman. I'd rather sign him and let Quincey go. He doesn't get a ton of exposure in Florida, but he's got a hell of a slap shot.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#135 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

One part he says "we battle hard, we play hard" I just lol'ed.

This team has serious compete issues.

at least he did say yes when asked if he wished they had more physical of a presence on the ice right now. Regardless this interview really isn't worth listening to, he just kinda strokes the history of us, and blah blah blah parity... I can't say I expect him to have a melt down or just come out and say s***, so hopefully his actions speak for themselves in a positive way.
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#136 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

Howard needs to spend the whole summer working on improving his rebound control and preventing rebounds. Obviously that has been every teams game plan against him.... just shoot the puck on net for a rebound and play the rebound.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#137 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

In my opinion we only have 3 elite players. I bet one of those retires in a few weeks. This summer is the absolute last second Holland has to improve the team before a rebuild is necessary. Truth is I bet they know it & have accepted it and are not planning to fix it. The new arena will be announced this summer or fall. They will begin rebuilding after next season & will anticipate having a rebuilt team in two or three years when the new arena opens. Hate to be so cynical but it's all a business & Hollands choices of the last few years have failed.

I am extremely respectful & appreciative of the last twenty years or so. I have absolutely loved it, but the writing is on the wall.

#138 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

It is amazing reading all the calls for Franzen to get traded. There is no chance the Stars, Leafs or anyone else will take that contract off our hands. He has eight years left, cap hit of just under $4M and is owed almost $24M over the next five seasons.

The only chance of a trade happening is if he's exchanged for another terrible contract. So I guess that means he either goes to Vancouver for Luongo (which is an even worse contract -- 10 more years at a cap hit of $5.3M, and owed $40M over the next six years) or to the Islanders for DiPietro.

#139 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

It is amazing reading all the calls for Franzen to get traded. There is no chance the Stars, Leafs or anyone else will take that contract off our hands. He has eight years left, cap hit of just under $4M and is owed almost $24M over the next five seasons.

The only chance of a trade happening is if he's exchanged for another terrible contract. So I guess that means he either goes to Vancouver for Luongo (which is an even worse contract -- 10 more years at a cap hit of $5.3M, and owed $40M over the next six years) or to the Islanders for DiPietro.

Fixed it for you :hehe:
IPB Image

#140 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have a feeling that there won't be any major changes.

I don't think we land Parise or Suter now.

Maybe we land that Justin Schultz, but I just don't think many big moves are coming because it is going to be hard to keep what we have.

I don't think we can make any trades to fix our team in one year that doesn't empty the cupboards. I also think that the office thinks those prospects are up to the task of being the next wave.

Perhaps Holland will empty the UFA contracts at the next deadline and bring up all the youngsters.

It is a awful mess to try and fix, because you have to get worse to get better.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.