• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dats13owns

Lidstrom

Rate this topic

I'm sure it's quite obvious that Lidstrom has been all but non-existent in this series. We all know that he is still hampered by his ankle injury and wouldlikely be missing more time to nurse it if not for the playoffs. He is not playing on the all important PK, has been lacking on the offensive side and has been effective on 5-on-5 but nothing spectacular.

This isn't a headhunting thread but this season and series has been a kick in the face that the end may be sooner than later. While he started out strong he slowed down later in the season and missed a rare significant amount of time with an injury.

What does be look at when he decides it he's going to keep this thing going? He's still playing at a high level and warrants respect every time he's on the ice not only because of his play but because of the name on the back of his jersey. He's done all there is to do and will go down as one of the all time greats. Looking at the last few seasons, particularly this one, this team is closer to taking a step back than contending.

I know he's not going to make a knee jerk decision like us fans, but what are your thoughts in his decision making in the offseason?

I'm sure it's quite obvious that Lidstrom has been all but non-existent in this series. We all know that he is still hampered by his ankle injury and wouldlikely be missing more time to nurse it if not for the playoffs. He is not playing on the all important PK, has been lacking on the offensive side and has been effective on 5-on-5 but nothing spectacular.

This isn't a headhunting thread but this season and series has been a kick in the face that the end may be sooner than later. While he started out strong he slowed down later in the season and missed a rare significant amount of time with an injury.

What does be look at when he decides it he's going to keep this thing going? He's still playing at a high level and warrants respect every time he's on the ice not only because of his play but because of the name on the back of his jersey. He's done all there is to do and will go down as one of the all time greats. Looking at the last few seasons, particularly this one, this team is closer to taking a step back than contending.

I know he's not going to make a knee jerk decision like us fans, but what are your thoughts in his decision making in the offseason?

I disagree with basically everything in the first paragraph of this post except that we are aware of the ankle injury and that he isn't playing on the PK. The PK really hasn't been the Wing's biggest issue in the series, though. I disagree that he has been lacking in any way while on the ice in even strength or power play situations. I guess I do agree with one more thing that you said in that paragraph.... he has been "effective" on 5 on 5. I think "effective" would describe Nick Lidstrom to a T. Most would not usually use the word "spectacular" when discussing Lidstrom at first glance. No big hits, magnificent dekes, etc. Just effectiveness. I think his constant effectiveness is what makes him spectacular.

My thoughts on his decision... I don't want to think about it yet, because I think it will be a sad moment this offseason. I hope not, but that's what I think. And it will be a sad moment, not just because we won't see the name on the back of the jersey that has historically earned so much respect on the ice anymore.... but because Detroit will be down one currently effective and spectacular defenseman that they will not be able to replace.

It depends if he still enjoys playing the game.

He doesnt look as happy the past few years as he normally did. So maybe he isnt enjoying it as much. Lets face it hes rich, a shoe in HOF and accomplished the status of one of the best all time dmen.

All he is playing for is the enjoyment of the game, and from the look I saw on his face all day it seems to me the craziness in the league may finally beat that out of him.

We will see, but I think either way Nick retires at the end of the season.

Edited by NHLrules?

I disagree with basically everything in the first paragraph of this post except that we are aware of the ankle injury and that he isn't playing on the PK. The PK really hasn't been the Wing's biggest issue in the series, though.

The PK has been nothing short of fantastic. Ten out of Ten times, you want him on the PK.

Typically you see Lids step up and do something big to spark the team in these situations. We haven't seen it yet

The main thought of this thread is does be want to go out on top or does he want to inevitably regress into a shell of what he once was. The dude loves hockey but he seems like he's more family oriented. I don't see him neglecting that just to stay on the ice.

Lids will wait and see what moves (if any) that Kenny makes this off season before making his mind up.

I feel that he was expecting some extra troops in before this years deadline past but KH let him down.

I would love him to go out in a blaze of glory but i cant see it happening this playoffs.

Guest Crymson

Lids will wait and see what moves (if any) that Kenny makes this off season before making his mind up.

I feel that he was expecting some extra troops in before this years deadline past but KH let him down.

I would love him to go out in a blaze of glory but i cant see it happening this playoffs.

Lidstrom is a smart guy, so I really doubt that he felt let down by Holland's unwillingness to pay massive prices for borderline players at the deadline.

Don't overlook the fact that there is a possibility of a lock out next season.

There is not. The current CBA will automatically extend through the end of next season if a new agreement is not reached before the 2012-2013 season begins.

There is not. The current CBA will automatically extend through the end of next season if a new agreement is not reached before the 2012-2013 season begins.

The current CBA is set to expire on September 15, 2012. The 2011–12 NHL season will be the final year of the current collective bargaining agreement as the NHL Players' Association will no longer have the option to extend the current CBA.

Guest Crymson

As far as I know, the current CBA carries the proviso that it can remain in place for next season while a new CBA is being negotiated.

Edit: It might have been this season that was the extension. Well, whatever.

Edited by Crymson

Lidstrom is a smart guy, so I really doubt that he felt let down by Holland's unwillingness to pay massive prices for borderline players at the deadline.

I'm with you on this one. Lids has done everything there is to do, while everyone ultimately plays for the same reason, he's a smart company man and understands how the business is run. It's not like he's a 20 year veteran that a Cup has always eluded.

His decision will come down to his desire to play at a level that he feels is comprible. It has nothing to do with the front office that has treated him and everyone else like Kings.

As far as I know, the current CBA carries the proviso that it can remain in place for next season while a new CBA is being negotiated.

Every article I have read says it expires and that a lockout is possible, although not as likely as last time.

Found this though:

However, the players' association is trying to move the expiration date to June 30 in order to avoid a repeat of the lockout that canceled the 2004-05 season.

Not sure what that is about.

Edited by Dirty Dangle

I don't see this as being true because whether he plays again or not will have a significant effect on what moves we make due to the money he will tie up or free up. He'll have to make his decision before Kenny goes shopping.

As the game went on and the entire team played better, I thought he manned the blueline well. His passing and vision was still at an elite level.

But, he was definitely sluggish today--especially when getting back for that icing call at the end of the game. I think the lingering image of that play is the reason for this thread, really. IMO, that has everything to do with his ankle.

it is really funny that when we loose a game threads like this come up

Please don't lump me in with the doom and gloomers, I assure you that this thought goes beyond losing one game. It's funny how anytime anyone has something not completely positive to say around here people like you have to question peoples ideas and accuse others of being bad fans and bandwagoners.

Thanks for the input, though, it was definitely pertinent to this discussion.

Edited by dats13owns

No true Red Wings fan would ever call out Lidstrom. This thread is disgraceful

Ok. I totally called him out by provoking a discussion that I guarantee just about every Wings fan has on their mind on. Heaven forbid someone acknowledge that he's not going to play until he's 75 and try to see what everyone's thoughts are on the situation based on some of the out of the normal things that happens this season.

People like you are the reason that 75% of the people who used to frequent this board in the last few years... How's that for a call out, super fan?