• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

evilzyme

Top Swiss-leaguer Brunner to sign with Wings, Babcock has big plans

Rate this topic

Interesting signing if he does in fact sign. Not really sure how I feel about it. He's definitley got some skills but it'll be interesting to see how he converts to the NHL. As for the size thing...if he is in fact Hudlers replacement, we've added size lol!

Interesting signing if he does in fact sign. Not really sure how I feel about it. He's definitley got some skills but it'll be interesting to see how he converts to the NHL. As for the size thing...if he is in fact Hudlers replacement, we've added size lol!

He'll be a 3rd/4th liner if anything, inwhich he should be on Helms wing... as a third line with helm centering and brunner on his right wing with that beaut of a shot and speed... SPEED OVERLOAD BOYS. But seriously, Helmer should have a hell of a season with Brunner... I think.

He'll be a 3rd/4th liner if anything, inwhich he should be on Helms wing... as a third line with helm centering and brunner on his right wing with that beaut of a shot and speed... SPEED OVERLOAD BOYS. But seriously, Helmer should have a hell of a season with Brunner... I think.

Didn't think of him on Helm's wing, but that could be a deadly combo. Both have tons of speed and Brunner should be able to finish if Helm can't. Like it!

So is it a general consensus that he will have a spot on the Wings' roster, and won't spend time seasoning in Grand Rapids? I literally know nothing about this kid, but I would have assumed to expect him play for the Griffims for at least a year, simply to adjust to NA hockey in a lower risk setting than the NHL.

So is it a general consensus that he will have a spot on the Wings' roster, and won't spend time seasoning in Grand Rapids? I literally know nothing about this kid, but I would have assumed to expect him play for the Griffims for at least a year, simply to adjust to NA hockey in a lower risk setting than the NHL.

It's up in the air and I think we'll see it depending on development and training camp similar to Pasha and Sasha. Babcock loves the guy and has been quoted saying great things about him. We also know the tendency of the organization with its overrippening. He is already 26 though, but I believe somehow he will be signing an ELC even though he bypasses the 25 age limit. I hope more gets found sooner than later, and he is coming here. Most Swiss reports are all showing that he has picked Detroit as his destination.

It's probably going to depend on training camp and how he is adjusting. My guess is he'll be on the Wings roster though. I'm sure he wants to come here to play in the NHL, not the AHL, so I am assuming the Wings have all but guaranteed him a roster spot or he probably would've signed with a team with less depth and a better chance to make the team. Just my opinion though. I know they sent Brunnstrom down last year, but I feel like Brunner is a much better player than Brunnstrom and has way more upside.

According to MLive looks like a done deal:

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings appear to have landed talented Swiss forward Damien Brunner. But they won't know for sure until July 1, when he can sign with any NHL team.

Brunner, a highly sought undrafted free agent, told Swiss media that he has agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with the Red Wings.

Brunner, 26, isn't big (5-11, 180), but he's a fast-skating, highly skilled winger who shoots right-handed. He led the Swiss-A league in scoring with 24 goals and 60 points in 45 games for Zug. He's a Jiri Hudler-type of player, except with speed.

Brunner has one year remaining on his contract with the Swiss club but told media that he has an out clause. As many as a half-dozen NHL teams, including Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh, were interested in the undrafted forward.

The Red Wings watched him at this year's World Championships and liked what they saw. There's no telling how he would adjust to playing on a smaller rink in North America, but there's little risk in signing him.

General manager Ken Holland said they are having “ongoing discussions.''

Also from Helen St.James:

Swiss media is reporting Brunner will sign with the Wings. Attempts to reach general manager Ken Holland by the Free Press were not immediately successful. Brunner can reach a deal any time, as he's not associated with any NHL team at the moment, but he can't sign until July 1.

Brunner is 26 and a star scorer in the Swiss league. He led the league in scoring with 24 goals and 36 assists in 45 games last season. He had 46 points in 40 games in 20-10-11, and 23 goals among 58 points in '09-10.

He's drawn interest from numerous NHL teams including Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington, Montreal, and Philadelphia, among others.

He isn't a big guy - around 5-foot-10, 176 pounds - but he's a good skater, stickhandler, has a very good shot, and shows grit around the net.

Edited by Frozen-Man

Wait wait wait. Now are you telling me that he looked at that amazing up and coming talent pool of the mighty Minnesota Wild and thought the Wings were a better option?? This does not make sense according to a picture painted for us by a certain poster...

Lol after hearing this bull for so long its fun to poke fun at it.

Wait wait wait. Now are you telling me that he looked at that amazing up and coming talent pool of the mighty Minnesota Wild and thought the Wings were a better option?? This does not make sense according to a picture painted for us by a certain poster...

Just utterly baffling!

He killed it in the playoffs this past year (9 games - 14 points), had two strong showings at The World Cup, and seems to play well at the international level in general. This is all based on stats, as I have never seen him play but I believe this signing will turn out very nice.