• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Cap hit of close to $9M/year, per Darren Dreger.

#2 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

I hope then for his sake and Pittsburgh's that the concussions are just a temporary issue and not a recurring thing.

#3 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

With all the concussion issues? Eek. Not that he doesn't deserve every penny. Fantastic player and hope he stays injury free for the rest of his career...except for playoff finals.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#4 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Well there goes my hope for next year haha.

Hope he stays healthy even for the finals, I would want to beat the Penguins at their best.

#5 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

i heard somewhere that his new contract would not have concussion insurance. not sure if that changed by now or not though but i'm sure we'll know soon..

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#6 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

I don't really see this is being "dumb" because of his concussions. Sure they probably don't want to be paying someone $9 mil to sit in a dark room, but this really won't affect them cap wise. They can just put him on IR and that frees up that $9 mil.

#7 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Crosby's contract isn't only for his on-ice value, it's for what he brings the team off the ice as well.

#8 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

No surprise here other than maybe term.

Because he's well under the 35 year old limit, if he did have a career ending concussion they're on the hook to pay him but it doesn't count against the cap, right? I can never keep all the details of the CBA straight.

But assuming that's the case, it's no surprised they'd take care of their franchise player like that.

#9 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Well he's a super player and deserves every penny. We may hate him as a Penguin, but to be honest I'd love having Crosby reprasenting the winged wheel.

Hope, he will stay concussionfree and I want to beat the best Penguins team possible (especially Crosby and Malkin @ 100 percent).

Bloody revenge !

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#10 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

So... Crosby just helped everyone out a little bit in terms of the Parise sweepstakes. Gonna be really hard to justify paying anyone over 9 million if that's what Crosby's making.
Posted Image

#11 pvilleguru

pvilleguru

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Well he's a super player and deserves every penny. We may hate him as a Penguin, but to be honest I'd love having Crosby reprasenting the winged wheel.

Hope, he will stay concussionfree and I want to beat the best Penguins team possible (especially Crosby and Malkin @ 100 percent).

Bloody revenge !

I hope to never see him in a Red Wing sweater. I have no respect for him.

#12 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Nick Kyperos: Breaking #NHL news. Done deal. Look for #Pens to announce star Sidney Crosby to a new 12 year contract for 104.4M. Annual cap hit 8.7M

#13 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

I thought the NHL made lifelong, front-loaded contracts illegal after the Kovalchuk debacle?

#14 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

What nixed the Kovalchuk deal was adding years to the end of the contract at league minimum salary (or close to it) to lower the annual cap hit, when there was no reasonable expectation that the player would honor it (Kovalchuk playing at 42 for $1 million, for example). Long-term deals are still perfectly legal.

If it's true that he'll keep making $8.7M per year, that's... well, a little strange. All the reports suggest that he's leaving a lot of money on the table to give Shero flexibility to bring in more talent.

#15 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm really surprised he didn't get some sort of raise. Will Malkin be content to play for the same wages after everything he's done since signing his last contract?

#16 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Nick Kyperos: Breaking #NHL news. Done deal. Look for #Pens to announce star Sidney Crosby to a new 12 year contract for 104.4M. Annual cap hit 8.7M

It'll be interesting to see how that math works out. McKenzie speculating that it's got the ridiculously low salary the last couple years to get the cap hit down.

If Crosby deal is 12 or 13 yrs, gotta figure last 2 or 3 yrs are "bogus" and it's likely a 10-yr deal for about $100M. Just a guess, tho.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/

I have to think the league would let is slide anyway, then maybe shore some things up under the new CBA. though honestly there isn't a huge incentive for them to do that, is there? For GM's it's cap circumvention so a lot of them probably like it, and players can get more money and longer term, essentially career-long contracts.

#17 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

What a steal if true!

Shero is building a helluva team in steel city. They are an annual contender now.

Edited by frankgrimes, 28 June 2012 - 11:32 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#18 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

How is "Crosby" not in our swear catcher?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#19 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

14,14,14,14,12,12,8,6,4,3,2,1.4...... 104.4 MM average 8.7.

This is my guess with the given information.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#20 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

No surprise here other than maybe term.

Because he's well under the 35 year old limit, if he did have a career ending concussion they're on the hook to pay him but it doesn't count against the cap, right? I can never keep all the details of the CBA straight.

But assuming that's the case, it's no surprised they'd take care of their franchise player like that.

Yeah, if he retires he comes off the Cap, so its a no-brainer signing by the Penguins and well deserved by Sid. This guy literally saved their franchise from moving to Canada and built them a new arena.

It'll be interesting to see how that math works out. McKenzie speculating that it's got the ridiculously low salary the last couple years to get the cap hit down.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/

I have to think the league would let is slide anyway, then maybe shore some things up under the new CBA. though honestly there isn't a huge incentive for them to do that, is there? For GM's it's cap circumvention so a lot of them probably like it, and players can get more money and longer term, essentially career-long contracts.

Bobby Mac's speculating that the final 3 years will be 3-4m (when he's 36+) That's far from ridiculously low and not an unreasonable age either. Zetterberg and Franzens deals are still worse offenders in that sense since they get paid less in the final years at an older age, this deal won't have a problem going through it looks like, if Bob is right.