• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

Rate this topic

Save your cap geek garbage for somebody else. Your wrong on every level here. Poile will match and he will be a pred for a very long time. Deal with it

You being a Preds fan, what is going on that we don't know about that is making these high quality players want to leave? I mean Nashville just came off the best playoff run had in franchise history and Rinne is solid in net.

I don't get it, the fanbase there seems solid. Poile must be a real *******.

IF Weber really wanted out, he would have signed an one year contract and then become UFA next summer, choosing his destination on his own conditions. So this is basically him saying, either Philadelphia or Nashville doesn't matter as long as they pay me and he will get paid even better than Suter.

I'm confident that Weber wants out. His agent has strongly insinuated such in interviews today (the "July 4th", "money not the issue", and "Flyers' history and Cup chances" comments ring the loudest). There's no way that Weber would've signed a 1-year deal with anyone just to reach UFA status next summer when the writing is all over the wall that the next CBA will kill off any of these "lifetime" deals and the mountain of guaranteed money and relative long-term stability they provide.

This was his chance to cash in and he did it. As his agent said, if Suter had re-signed in Nashville the agent likely "wouldn't be having this conversation today." Things changed, the Predators took a step back with the loss of Suter and what was likely low-ball offers that he had gotten until after July 1st when Poile had to something he had to try to match. Poile has been lowballing Weber since last summer's arbitration case -- so what really changed?

Weber looks to have grown tired of it and took advantage of the opportunity he had presented to him. He wants to go to Philadelphia.

this is exactly why I was pissed when everyone said "we'll get weber next offseason" after we missed out on suter. Everyone assumes thats Hollands plan and that it will FOR SURE happen. Just like it was sure the suter would sign here this season. We have to make a trade at this point. Its gonna have to be a guy like Yandle and its gonna cost a lot and hurt. But I would be happy to see young guys like Tatar, Sheahan get a chance filling in for the traded players as long as its not 4th line.

Guest Crymson

I'm going to have a good e-laugh at the content of this thread if Nashville matches the offer.

Edited by Crymson

http://phlyinhigh.blogspot.ca/2012/07/shea-webers-potential-contract-breakdown.html

First four seasons (2012-'13 through 2015-'16) $1 million per year w/ 13M signing bonus

- Next two seasons (2016-'17 through 2017-'18) $4 million per w/ 8M signing bonus

- Next four seasons (2018-'19 through 2021-'22) $6 million per

- Following year (2022-'23) $3 million per

- Last three seasons (2023-'24 through 2025-'26) $1 million per

This contract is odd, the signing bonus's i don't understand, why sign for 1 mill with a 13 mill bonus? Is there a reason for that?

Our Cup victories often involved "balls to the walls signings". I don't know what you're trying to argue. And you know I'm not a Flyers fan so why waste your time?

Holland made huge moves in 2002 and we won the Cup as a result. Now he seems to be falling on his face with the salary cap.

Are you arguing that by not doing s***, we're somehow better off or better apt to win the Cup? I doubt it.

The only "balls to the wall" signing we had in 2008 was Dallas Drake. Wait, that was a huge signing? Point is that you don't need to make those kinds of signings to win a cup. In fact there are many teams that make those signings only to not do crap come playoff time. Otherwise, we would have won 4-6 more cups in the last 15 years when we made deals to get great players in here.

http://phlyinhigh.bl...-breakdown.html

First four seasons (2012-'13 through 2015-'16) $1 million per year w/ 13M signing bonus

- Next two seasons (2016-'17 through 2017-'18) $4 million per w/ 8M signing bonus

This contract is odd, the signing bonus's i don't understand, why sign for 1 mill with a 13 mill bonus? Is there a reason for that?

I think that money is paid at the beginning of the season regardless. so if you trade someone or they get it anyways?

Save your cap geek garbage for somebody else. Your wrong on every level here. Poile will match and he will be a pred for a very long time. Deal with it

Wow, truth hurts, eh? You're in enemy territory - please tread more respectfully.

If Poile ponies up and matches, yay for the fans. However, the Preds will have one very expensive, sulky defenseman on their hands. It's a lose/lose for Nashville.

Oh, and it's "you're."

The signing bonus isn't subject to the possible lowering of the cap, which would affect his salary. He gets the 13 mil regardless.

Maybe he does, but Holmgren's balls to the wall strategy hasn't won him anything but the adulation of some fans.

Holland's method may not make him a lot of fans, but its won multiple Stanley Cups.

Honestly...Holland was Asst. GM when the first Balls to the Wall move was made for Shanahan, that won us Cups...he showed his Balls by acquiring Chris Chelios...and when we were too old Holland made another Balls to the Wall move by getting Hasek, Hull & Robitaille that won us Cups....He needs another Balls to the Wall trade...Bobby Ryan. He needs to stop lowballing GM's and UFA's...player want to get paid, no longer do they take a discount to play in Detroit because it's Detroit...

You being a Preds fan, what is going on that we don't know about that is making these high quality players want to leave? I mean Nashville just came off the best playoff run had in franchise history and Rinne is solid in net.

I don't get it, the fanbase there seems solid. Poile must be a real *******.

Nashville lost players in the past due to money and ownership issues. It is a different situation now. Suter chose to leave because he wanted to play with Parise and be closer to home. There's nothing wrong with Nashville. This idea that Nashville is in a rebuilding stage just because suter left is retarded. Radulov wasn't welcome anymore and they chose not to keep A Kostytsin. The team is still very solid, even more so when Poile matches philly's contract for weber.

The comments that weber's agent made were his agent's, not weber's. Weber signed it so he could gaurentee himself a monster payday. He would have been an idiot not to. If he wanted out of Nashville like everyone here seems to think, then there is no way he signs that offer. I've known Poile for several years an he is one of the most diligent people you will ever meet, that is why he didn't immediately match the offer. I can't stress this enough, this is not the same ownership group from the past. The offer will be matched and Weber will be a pred.

Wow, truth hurts, eh? You're in enemy territory - please tread more respectfully.

If Poile ponies up and matches, yay for the fans. However, the Preds will have one very expensive, sulky defenseman on their hands. It's a lose/lose for Nashville.

Oh, and it's "you're."

The signing bonus isn't subject to the possible lowering of the cap, which would affect his salary. He gets the 13 mil regardless.

I'm not being disrespectful whatsoever. In fact I've shown nothing but respect on this board and in every encounter I've had with wings fans my entire life.

As for being stuck with a "sulky" defenseman, you'd give your left nut to have him so keep your tears off the board. I know it sucks missing out in him after you had such high hopes.

Why is Predmonkee here? I'd be trolling Flyers boards if I was him. Really though, you have nothing to prove to us. You guys had success over us in the playoffs, it hurt, unfortunately there is economic instability in Nsh, its tough to see this happen to a successful team in one offseason. I have nothing against you at all, its just futile to come in here and argue with wings fans. Nobody is right until we see what happens with the offer sheet.

Am I the only one who actually feels bad for the Predators in all of this? They finally get a cup contending team and it's dismantled in a single offseason.This is a lose-lose situation for Nashville - they'll lose a lot of fans if they don't match the offer sheet, and they risk financial peril/locking up too much money in one player if they do match. Either way, this is a hard hit financially for Nashville.

How this contract is valid is beyond me. The entire purpose of the CBA and NHL salary cap was to allow small market teams to compete with the larger market teams. The way this deal is structured (being so heavily front-loaded) basically allows the large market teams to beat out the small market teams for any free agent they want to pursue. I'd be worried this could start a precedent, but they'll probably address it in the next CBA in the aftermath of this offseason.

Guest Crymson

The only "balls to the wall" signing we had in 2008 was Dallas Drake. Wait, that was a huge signing? Point is that you don't need to make those kinds of signings to win a cup. In fact there are many teams that make those signings only to not do crap come playoff time. Otherwise, we would have won 4-6 more cups in the last 15 years when we made deals to get great players in here.

Let's not forget that he also let Calder and Lang walk in that offseason. Everyone was freaking out.

Suter and Weber both turn heel on Poile in the same offseason, Vince McMahon would be proud.

Well done.

I wonder if they will be addressing these signing bonuses like this in the next cba. I do think if it's not addressed it's another tactic big market teams can use to sign players from smaller market teams. I wonder if the league will approve the contract.

Why is Predmonkee here? I'd be trolling Flyers boards if I was him. Really though, you have nothing to prove to us. You guys had success over us in the playoffs, it hurt, unfortunately there is economic instability in Nsh, its tough to see this happen to a successful team in one offseason. I have nothing against you at all, its just futile to come in here and argue with wings fans. Nobody is right until we see what happens with the offer sheet.

I have no intention of arguing with anyone. I have all the respect in the world for the DRW. There are some great guys that post here and I thoroughly enjoy reading and talking hockey here. I would never rub anything in as far as the playoff win goes. Tons of respect

Guest Crymson

I wonder if they will be addressing these signing bonuses like this in the next cba. I do think if it's not addressed it's another tactic big market teams can use to sign players from smaller market teams. I wonder if the league will approve the contract.

It has been mentioned that the league wants the next CBA to eliminate signing bonuses and set a limit on contract length.

Hold on a sec. Weber's definitely worth 4 Detroit 1st rounders if we're talking the past. BUT with Lidstrom gone and our superstars all getting older we can't assume the future will be paved in low 20's draft positions.

Well there is no way to know either way is there, but the argument is the same nonetheless. The draft is a lottery, but Weber is a sure thing.

The structure of the contract is to prevent Nashville from matching.

Signing bonuses have to be paid immediately, so as soon as they match they'd owe Weber 13 million, with another 1 million paid out over the course of the season. Then exactly 365 days from the time of the signing they'd owe him another 13 million. So in the first calendar year of the contract they would pay out 27 million dollars to Weber.

With the threat of a work stoppage looming, its a tough decision for a cash strapped franchise to commit 27 million in a year where they may not have any income. Then as others have mentioned, if the cap is lowered and salaries are rolled back Weber would still be owed all of his signing bonus money.

Honestly...Holland was Asst. GM when the first Balls to the Wall move was made for Shanahan, that won us Cups...he showed his Balls by acquiring Chris Chelios...and when we were too old Holland made another Balls to the Wall move by getting Hasek, Hull & Robitaille that won us Cups....He needs another Balls to the Wall trade...Bobby Ryan. He needs to stop lowballing GM's and UFA's...player want to get paid, no longer do they take a discount to play in Detroit because it's Detroit...

Holland was one of 3 GM's when they traded for Shanahan FYI. Him Develanno and Bowman were all listed as interim GM's for that season, but I agree that was a pretty ballsy move, as was dealing for Hasek and Chelios. Did you ever wonder why the Wings got the better of every one of those trades? its by refusing to overpay in a trade, he's smart enough not to give up more than he's getting just for the sake of mixing things up on his team.

I think you're overreacting on the "lowballing" to use your term when it comes to FA's as well. He didn't low-ball Suter, he didn't submit the best offer, but there is a difference between being outbid and lowballing. (besides it didn't matter what he offered, Suter and Parise were going to Minnesota regardless, they used other franchises to drive the price up that's the only reason the Wings were even involved)

I know he had discussions with Weber but it sounds like Philly signed him to an offer sheet before the Wings even formally submitted one, so I don't think you can call that a lowball either.

I agree that Holland needs to make a move this off-season, but considering the amount of players we've been linked too, and the # of trade talks he's been involved in, I think its only a matter of time before a trade is announced. I too hope its for Ryan.