joesuffP

Bottom Six

Rate this topic

If we head into the season as is our forward line up would look like

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Brunner-Zetterberg-Flippula

Samuelsson-Helm-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Abdelkader-Tootoo

If Nyquist and Brunner keep their top 6 positions than our bottom 6 looks amazing... Lots of scoring, speed and hitting. That 3rd line could be a game changer every night. That Nashville series was lost in the bottom 6 matchup. Having Helm playing with some offensive guys would give him his real shot at being a scoring threat every game. Than our 4th line has more scoring than most plus very fast and strong. Having this bottom 6 in place is a Stanley cup winning bottom 6. Beef up the top 6 and D and our team will be solid in all aspects

Guest The Axe

Datsyuk and Franzen need a burner. Nyquist cant open ice. Start by fixing that.

I want Brunner and Nyquist to have top six roles... Sticking them in the bottom six doesn't make sense. Take advantage of our situation and let them learn how to score with the best players the world and the bottom six can save our asses here and there

Edited by joesuffP

Guest The Axe

Just start by putting brunner with datsyuk and franzen. Thats step one. Brunner is fast and opens ice for others. 2nd, think of a trade that brings Ryan over to play with Zetterberg and Filppula. Cleary, Nyquist, Ericsson, and a first rounder. Ryan-Z-Filppula. Now your top 6 is set with speed, skill, defense, and snipe. Now get the speed out for line 3. Emmerton-Helm-Eaves. Next the bangers and a snipe. Tootoo-Abdelkader-Samuelsson/Bertuzzi.

If we head into the season as is our forward line up would look like

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Samuelsson-Helm-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Abdelkader-Tootoo

If Nyquist and Brunner keep their top 6 positions than our bottom 6 looks amazing... Lots of scoring, speed and hitting. That 3rd line could be a game changer every night. That Nashville series was lost in the bottom 6 matchup. Having Helm playing with some offensive guys would give him his real shot at being a scoring threat every game. Than our 4th line has more scoring than most plus very fast and strong. Having this bottom 6 in place is a Stanley cup winning bottom 6. Beef up the top 6 and D and our team will be solid in all aspects

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Samuelsson-Helm-Eaves

Bertuzzi-Abdelkader-Tootoo

...I just had to change one thing, sorry Clears.

It's tough because Eaves and Miller are both solid options in the bottom 6 as well.... I do like Eaves over Cleary, but both have serious injury concerns going into this season, with Cleary being the better of the two (more than likely).

Bertuzzi WILL be on the third line... Sammy will be a 2nd/3rd line option, depending on Nyquist/Brunner.... I just hope those two work out, then we'll be fine and can try and make a trade happen during the season. I believe Brunner is going to impress here, despite negative reactions so far.

Franzen - Datsyuk - Brunner

Filppula - Zetterberg - Nyquist/Samuelsson

Bertuzzi - Helm - Samuelsson/Nyquist

Tootoo - Abdelkader - Eaves/Miller

Solid squad, scoring potential from each line... If our youngsters show up, we'll be A-OK. Try to flip Franzen for Ryan, or someone else comparable. Also loving the right handed shots available now (Brunner, Samuelsson, Eaves, Tootoo).

Its gonna be tough to tell exactly what our bottom 6 will look like, considering Eaves' health. Bottom line is, I like the Tootoo signing and I'd like to see Bertuzzi in a checking role on the 3rd/4th line. He can still put up points, but Nyquist/Brunner are basically useless unless they're getting top 6 ice time. Guys are gonna have to be moved, whether it being traded or sent down to Grand Rapids. We have too many forwards, plain and simple. I can't imagine Holmstrom will be brought back at this point.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

Brunner-Filppula-Nyquist

Bertuzzi-Helm-Samuelsson

Miller-Abdelkader-Tootoo

Cleary/Emmerton/Mursak/Eaves/

I can't imagine we're gonna look too much different than this. As mentioned, a couple guys need to go. I'd like another legit top 6 forward, though it would cost us either Filppula or Franzen.

I'd really like to see Abdelkader on the wing on the 4th line, but it seems unclear what will happen at this point.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Forget about the bottom six..... I am more concerned about the top two..... defensemen.

I am predicting right now that LIDSTROM will be back in uniform and on the ice for the Wings by January..... and I am not talking about the Alumni game.

After 3 months of extra rest Lidstrom will be so bored he won't have any choice.....LOL. I think Lidstrom would enjoy playing just half a season. Besides, he will feel guilty for retiring and leaving the Wings in such a perilous state.

With our D situation forwards would be asked to pay more defensive hockey and sacrifice some of the offense.

we shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So we'll score even fewer goals in the postseason.

Oh, what fun this season is going to be.

Guest RedWingsDad

Forget about the bottom six..... I am more concerned about the top two..... defensemen.

I am predicting right now that LIDSTROM will be back in uniform and on the ice for the Wings by January..... and I am not talking about the Alumni game.

After 3 months of extra rest Lidstrom will be so bored he won't have any choice.....LOL. I think Lidstrom would enjoy playing just half a season. Besides, he will feel guilty for retiring and leaving the Wings in such a perilous state.

^ Off-topic post is off-topic.

I am genuinely exited about our offence this year. I think we are tougher, faster, and have a higher scoring potential than the last two years. I think Nyquist and Brunner will get a shot at spots on the top two lines at training camp and pre-season... if they perform they will be given time there when the season starts. I think Bertuzzi and Samuelsson will float around between the 2nd and 3rd lines through most of the season. I know we have Helm slotted as 3rd/4th line but I would expect him to have a chance to prove himself on the 2nd line at some point. I also think Sammy will be given a shot along side Datsyuk and Z... because they need someone on their line to shoot the puck, and someone with a bigger body.

Edited by RedWingsDad

Flippula - Datsyuk - Nyqvist

Mule - Z - Sammy

Cleary - Helm - Bert

Abby - Emmerton - Tootoo

No need for Homer and Mursak. Eaves and Miller i like, but we dont have 5 lines..

Edited by matemate

We need another bottom 6 centerman badly. Emmerton and Abby just didn't cut it last year.

Is it possible to put Miller at 4th line center? He did score 14 goals last year. That's more than any of other bottom 6'ers scored.

Put Abby at center and play Miller or Eaves over Emmerton. Cory didn't add anything to this team last year. Also I really hope that Brunner doesn't get shipped to GR simply because he is waiver exempt. If he is better than someone else he needs to be played. No more politics or keeping guys in the line up because we "have" to.

I'm curious about Helm on the second line with Zetterberg and Filppula. If they give that a try and find guys to fill the third and fourth line center positions, our top six may not look as bad as I thought it did. Good call for those talking about it so far.

SO, honestly, who goes? Emmerton/Mursak/MIller/Eaves? Two are out for sure. I think MIller and Eaves have earned NHL jobs and should not be the #13 and #14 forwards, but they are not going to bump Tootoo, Sammy, Brunner or Nyquist. Miller and Eaves are only 27 years old, so its not like they are aging forwards, Emmerton and Mursak are younger and are more apt to filling those roles. Honestly, I would trade three players for some picks... I am conceding that we are not getting Doan or Ryan, so I am just going with re-signing Abby and dumping three forwards. This will be a hard decision on which one to keep as your 13th & 14th. Like I said Miller and Eaves ARE NHL players and should be treated as such. They should be dealt to a team that will give them icetime. I'd hate to lose either of them, but what are you gonna do? Another thing is, Sheahan is close to be a regular here as well. (I'd STILL love Holland to give Welsh an offer sheet too. Even though though that would make even a bigger log jam in the bottom 6.) I'd love a line of Welsh - Sheahan - Abdelkader.

If we are talking future here and looking past this season, trading all four Miller/Eaves/Emmerton/Mursak and sinking some cash into Welsh would help that future out. (Not inclluding the extra draft picks we'd get for those four.)

I am still kinda hoping Holland picks up Kubina to help out the PP...Yes, I have also conceded that we aren't getting Yandle either.

Here is my proposal....trade Miller/Eaves/Emmerton/Mursak for draft picks to teams that can use them, sign Jeremy Welsh to an offer sheet and then pick up Kubina to shore up the D and then hope things gel. ( I wonder if Carolina would be interested in a Cleary package for Welsh's rights? He would be a good leader on that team...)

Anyhow....bottom 6:

Sammy - Helm - Bertuzzi

Tootoo - Abby - Cleary

(Welsh/Sheahan)

That is what I would like to see since we are pretty much done making moves (unless we pick up Kubina.)

BTW - When Holland inks DeKeyser in the Spring, we will all be saying Schultz who?

I know I jump around a spout about getting this big name or that big name, but looking at the kids coming up and even this years draft(which I am VERY excited about for the first time in a LONG time,) I really think all will be fine...

EDIT:

Here is my roster and I am going forward with it!

FORWARDS

Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Jeremy Welsh ($1.900m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Pavel Kubina ($4.550m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,621,212; BONUSES: $647,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,578,788

Edited by LeftWinger

Got to....just have to concede that Kyle Quincey was our "Big" off season signing....I like Tootoo, but it sure was more exciting when he was a prelude for what was about to happen! Which of course didn't happen...It's ok though, I am fine with having the yutes come in...Holland will not show some balls and will not get rid of Franzine...I guess every year from now on he will hope that "playoff Franzine" shows up...which he hasn't since he signed his lifer contract....we'll see. Hey since Hudler is gone ( :yahoo: ) he'll give me someone to blame the woes on throughout the season!

Franzine Sucks and He is Lazy! ©

The hate on Franzen is really annoying. The guy had one bad season last year and still put up good stats.

That 3rd line of Bertuzzi-Helm-Sammy has me really excited... Look how our 3rd line matches up against the league

Canucks: Higgins-Lappierre-Hansen

Penguins: Dupuis-Sutter-Cooke

Blackhawks: Bickell-Bolland-Hayes

We will have an advantage game in and game out

Add that with Bert seemingly being able to find chemistry with anyone on his line and adjust his role

Edited by joesuffP

As I've mentioned in other discusssions, I like our forwards. I think the bottom 6 with a combination of Helm, Abby, Miller, Eaves, Tootoo, Sammy, Nyquist, Brunner, Emmerton, Mursak, Cleary, Bertuzzi etc. is going to be a big strength of our team this year. Also there will be a competition for two of those players to play in the top 6, so everyone will be at their best for more ice time. Everyone of our forwards has 10+ goal potential, there will be no let up in our attack.

We still need another D, but I think a lot of people here are going to be surprised with the team in 2012-13. We're not the team everyone is gunning for now, so the pressure's off a bit. I think we'll be fun to watch. I'm looking forward to it.

The hate on Franzen is really annoying. The guy had one bad season last year and still put up good stats.

Right. When you look at where Franzen was drafted, and what the team's expectations of him were when he made the team in 2005-06 (4th liner), he's more than exceeded expectations! The 25-30 goals he gets every year and the $3.9 Million he's paid in this CBA, he's a bargin.

Guest The Axe

Like most wingers, Franzen is only as good as his center. If Dats or Z is struggling or hurt, Franzen will struggle. I dont like putting any blame on Franzen. Thats just ignorant. Guy busted his foot in the playoffs the last two seasons. And he's still not making excuses. Franzen is a good piece to the puzzle. No reason to give him crap.

Guest The Axe

Like most wingers, Franzen is only as good as his center. If Dats or Z is struggling or hurt, Franzen will struggle. I dont like putting any blame on Franzen. Thats just ignorant. Guy busted his foot in the playoffs the last two seasons. And he's still not making excuses. Franzen is a good piece to the puzzle. No reason to give him crap.