• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chances14

Illitch announces plan to build new arena

Rate this topic

The problem with that line of thinking is that the bills still have to get paid when the teams are losing.

Pistons sold out every game when they were winning...now look at the Tigers..pretty much sell out every game. Detroit fans will pay to see a winner

Guest Playmaker

Gores is a billionaire...sure he's not worried about paying bills

He's a billionaire because he does worry about paying bills.

The problem with that line of thinking is that the bills still have to get paid when the teams are losing.

Well yes, like any business, you've got to put out a sellable product at a decent profit margin.

@RedWingsFeed: Report: State of Michigan approves funds to demolish Joe Louis Arena: By Michael... http://t.co/shd6PeUPlC via @MiHockeyNow #NHL #RedWings

:(

This breaks my heart. I was really hoping they'd keep it and use it for something, but with the work being done on Cobo I guess that was a pipe dream...

@RedWingsFeed: Report: State of Michigan approves funds to demolish Joe Louis Arena: By Michael... http://t.co/shd6PeUPlC via @MiHockeyNow #NHL #RedWings

:(

This breaks my heart. I was really hoping they'd keep it and use it for something, but with the work being done on Cobo I guess that was a pipe dream...

I'll definitely miss the Joe. Can't believe they would just rip it down so soon

Sad news indeed. Need to make it back over the pond for a 5th visit. People may say its a dump or its old or its grimy or whatever the hell they like. But fact is the sight lines are awesome, the standing room is the best in the league, and it just gives off this aura of character, history and everything that is Detroit Red Wings. While it might be 'necessary' (which I don't necessarily agree with), all we as fans are going to get is another generic building that while being clean and comfortable, will be just as bland as the next.

Every major, politician who agrees to pay for such things should be sued and canned immediately.

That aside I will really miss the JLA sadly I've never been there but all the memories hopefully the new building has some magic moments too.

Pretty sure the city owns the building dude

I was at the very first game at the Joe...Dec 27, 1979. A loss to the Blues. Truthfully...good riddance. They had to get a waiver on the safety inspection to open the building in the first place because the aisleways and entries were deemed to steep to be safe. I've seen some great college and professional hockey there, but it's a building...the memories aren't in the building they're in my head.

Looking forward to seeing what the new place will look like,....even if they are building on my favorite lot for baseball parking

From Detroit Free Press:

The Detroit City Council this morning narrowly approved a new lease of the Joe Louis Arena for the Detroit Red Wings, likely keeping the team there until it moves to a new arena north of downtown as early as the 2016-17 season.

The five-year lease, which passed by a 5-4 vote, includes a controversial settlement payment of $5.2 million from the team to resolve potential litigation over cable TV money the city is owed. In the past, it was estimated the city could be owed between $50 million and $80 million.

There is some shrewd negotiating.